News   May 31, 2024
 510     4 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 849     0 

Re-cladding Wish List

A far shot
- 10 Dundas East- New advertising tower, better advertisements in general.
- Reclad the Eaton Centre's Yonge Facade so that it resembles the old Eaton's Department store. This will do wonders in restoring some of the finer-grained urbanism lost when the Eaton Centre was built.
- Waterfront condo podium refurbishment (general)- more vertical emphasis and different styles on the same podium. Removal of covered colonnades whenever possible.

Recladding?

10 Dundas East (recladding or outright demolition).
The sizeable base of the Hudson's Bay Centre at Bloor and Yonge.
The Uptown.
The Residences Of College Park.
Aura.
The base of Harbour Square (technically, I suppose, it needs actual cladding more than just it's current partial cladding. Plus, perhaps a redesign?).
Any or all of the four first Cityplace buildings on Front Street. (Matrix, etc.)
At least two-thirds of the green-glass & precast condos thrown up in the last fifteen years. This particularly includes, but is not limited to The Pinnacle Centre and 18 Yonge.
The Skydome Rogers Centre. The base could really use some lovin'.
The crude trio of apartment buildings at Gerrard and River, on Oak.

Any apartment building that is slaps cheapo aluminum siding over part of it's facade to hide or alleviate existing cladding or heating problems. Ug-ly.

St. Jamestown. The uniformity of white brick and white panels on nearly all the major buildings in this complex is nullifying. They were just refurbished a few years ago and look good - but, unfortunately, an opportunity was passed up to make them more distinctive from one another. The ground level needs a makeover as wll - with more building bases built out, through roads inserted, and new low and some new mid-rise buildings erected along them with mixed uses and townhomes along the street. I'd also propose that the two huge rectinilear high-rises facing Wellesley at their narrow end be cut into so that they 'step' down to meet the street in a less alienating way.

Last edited:
Likewise fine with Aura. Its detractors take issue with its excessive use of mullions since it isn't in vogue. Obviously I'm not going to suggest its in any way comparable to the cladding that graces Shangri-la, the 4 Seasons, 77 Charles West etc. But I think the plaid pattern it creates isn't all that offensive:

7160886753_97d0bbac4f_h.jpg
The tower portion is at least consistent with itself.

If were going to talk about buildings still under construction that need a re-clad, absolutely nothing can compare to the dog's breakfast that is Trump:

That cladding is at war with itself.

If they won't demolish 1 Yonge to hell they should at least reclad it. Awful.

While I don't believe it needs a reclad, I think the old base needs to be redone into a modern shopping center, (maybe move loblaws in there and sell the current loblaws property?), and the building at ground level needs a major reno to make it more conductive to the street. but I say keep the tower like it is.

The condo immediately north of 38 Avenue Road (just north of Yorkville) has fantastic massing. But the cladding is horrible - s**t brown. They should do some sort of bright multi-coloured cladding. When the Hazelton Lanes mall gets redeveloped by its new owner this area may finally find its groove.

Back