News   May 06, 2024
 366     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 486     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     1 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Personally I find that looks cheesy. You know it's an Asian city right away when you look at it.

vegas-night.jpg

Because cheesiness is ONLY in Asian cities.

I don't see adding LED's to buildings as cheesy, especially the long vertical ones. I think on the whole, we are pretty timid when it comes to standing out - Canadians, and this is reflected naturally in the building industry are very happy to just blend into the background. Now, I am not saying make buildings stand out for the sake of it, but that we should not be so shy about showing some colour and well, standing out of the crowd.

p5

Because cheesiness is ONLY in Asian cities.
I never said that. I just said you know it's an Asian city when you see pictures of their skyline with all of the lighting etc.
I am very aware that there is cheesiness in other cities in the world, just their cheesiness is usually in design rather than lighting.

The Yonge St. Arcade doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Especially now that they've stopped the scrolling NOW LEASING message

They have? I recall they still do earlier in the night?
Have they leased the space?

It's Xmas season, remember. Once that's over with, the "NOW LEASING" is likely to return...

Also re GTA LED nightlighting, remember that office complex at Dundas + 427, kitty-clover from Cloverdale...

I could take or leave LED strips that look like neon running lights. As time goes on, though, I'm increasingly fond of the LED feature on top of the MET condos, the one that changes colour based on wind-speed.

I love this building. Today while walking on King Street, however, I was horrified to notice what looks to be an elevator/mechanical shed on the roof of the podium clad in cheap metal. I am shocked that they didn't do a better job of integrating the mechanicals into the building, and will be even more shocked if the current cladding is permanent. It very noticabele from King Street and the grounds in front of Metrol Hall. I will try to get a picture next time I am in the neighbourhood.

Ya we knew that was going to look like that because of the renders. It is rather odd they couldn't design it to fit in with the building better.

You prefer sodium vapour street lights?

Why when you can have them all?

They're called versatubes, about $100.00 each on ebay.

Versatubes run around $800.00 per piece and are produced by element labs.
However, there are knock offs that are cheaper and don't do the things versatubes can do. The arcade building uses Versatubes. They can reproduce video and still images whereas the $100.00 tubes on eBay can only produce colour. Here's a video of versatubes in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfxS_cSZC0

However, there are knock offs that are cheaper and don't do the things versatubes can do.

You're right, I built some myself...they do more then the versatubes do, and didn't cost nearly as much.
If you'd like my firmware for a PIC 16f688 based 3 channel DMX receiver, let me know. It has a (mostly) linear PWM response.

They can reproduce video and still images whereas the $100.00 tubes on eBay can only produce colour.

Actually, any DMX512 controlled RGB LED fixture can display video images. it's all in the controller.
Have you seen "MADRIX" software?

Last edited:
Dec 28 Update

RBC from the north

Back