News   May 02, 2024
 189     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 153     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 201     0 

Rail: Ontario-Quebec High Speed Rail Study

there are two pretty straight (hydro?) corridors that can connect havelock area to Ottawa...
Hydro corridors are no good. They don't follow contours at all - they go right over steep hills and rocky areas.

I've altered my map, but the principle remains the same: existing infrastructure is maximized, and the amount of new right of way needed is very limited. The number of potential destinations is maximized as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...8050198920242492381.00045e62e4d9b8491df28&z=7
Maybe this is hometown bias talking, but why leave out Peterborough? It's by far the largest urban area without service on your map. And it looks like you've eliminated the GO line to Hamilton! :eek:

I've altered my map, but the principle remains the same: existing infrastructure is maximized, and the amount of new right of way needed is very limited. The number of potential destinations is maximized as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...8050198920242492381.00045e62e4d9b8491df28&z=7

I've long thought that a great first-step for VIA improvements would be a dedicated line west from Montreal that would branch and link up to existing tracks to Toronto and Ottawa. It would be used by both Montreal-Ottawa and Montreal-Toronto trips, much like you've shown here. The one section of track would be used by the majority of all VIA rail trips.

I should mention that the map I created would obviously be part of a larger system. Any alignment from Kingston to Toronto or Montreal to Quebec City would be a matter of choosing between upgrading Rail corridors or building new ones in Highway 401 and Autoroute 40 right-of-ways. The only place where there seems to be a major deviation is the alignment in Eastern Ontario.

Maybe this is hometown bias talking, but why leave out Peterborough? It's by far the largest urban area without service on your map.
It doesn't really add up given that Peterborough is at the end of a branch line. It's certainly not worth winding the main trunk line just to serve that town. Unfortunately they will have to make do with a bus to Cobourg or Oshawa.

And it looks like you've eliminated the GO line to Hamilton! :eek:
No I haven't. The stretch between Oakville and Hamilton would not have high speed trains running on it, and would only see GO trains. The beauty of my proposal is that trains can run on branch lines without additional construction.

I should mention that the map I created would obviously be part of a larger system. Any alignment from Kingston to Toronto or Montreal to Quebec City would be a matter of choosing between upgrading Rail corridors or building new ones in Highway 401 and Autoroute 40 right-of-ways. The only place where there seems to be a major deviation is the alignment in Eastern Ontario.
I'm not sure how appropriate an existing highway right of way is for a new high speed rail line. Chances are a highway designed for 120 km/h doesn't have high enough design standards for trains going 300-350 km/h. Plus the province designs highways and interchanges with a certain number of lanes in mind, not rail (the 407 east will be an exception). Are there examples in other countries of this being done?

It doesn't really add up given that Peterborough is at the end of a branch line. It's certainly not worth winding the main trunk line just to serve that town. Unfortunately they will have to make do with a bus to Cobourg or Oshawa.
So are Sherbrooke and Sarnia. Branch lines to cities that size are common.

I found this article online, it's from the Windsor Star. I found it interesting that somebody (a conservative, no less) in senate is passionate about this train getting built.

Windsor-Quebec high-speed train pushed
By Mike De Souza, Canwest News Service​

OTTAWA -- The Harper government's new point man for Montreal has got a high-speed train in his sights.

In a wide-ranging interview, newly appointed Senator Leo Housakos said he would be pushing the high-speed rail option between Quebec City and Windsor onto the government's agenda.

Housakos, 41, who served for a year on the board of VIA Rail until 2008, said he recognized that Canada was built on its railway system and should use a new train infrastructure project as part of an economic stimulus plan.

"I think this is an opportunity with high-speed rail to take Canada into the 21st century with an infrastructure program that's environmentally green, that can create tons of jobs, and can really connect this country quickly, especially starting off with the Quebec City-Windsor corridor," said Housakos, 41, who was among 18 Conservative senators appointed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in December.

In its latest budget, the Harper government announced it would increase funding to VIA Rail Canada by $407 million to improve service, particularly between Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. But most infrastructure experts have said that the proposal for a full-blown high-speed link would require construction of a new track solely for passenger trains and would likely carry a multibillion-dollar price tag.

"The 21st century is about speed, and I think that (a high-speed rail link) is a project that's dear to my heart. It's something that I want to put on the forefront of the agenda."

The Tory Senator's comments come nearly a year after the premiers of Quebec and Ontario announced a joint feasibility study for a new high-speed rail project that would cover a territory that is home to about half of the Canadian population. In the House of Commons, an all-party committee led by Conservative MP Dean Del Mastro, from Peterborough, Ont., has also been advocating a new high-speed link for Central Canada.

But Housakos admitted that he still had a lot of work to do in order to convince his government to buy into the plan.

"Unfortunately, in government, you have to appreciate that things move in millimetres and the yardsticks have to go forward," he said. "So I think the first step is to sensitize all the key players and to just keep at it until it gets done. I don't think I have a particular target in terms of (whether it would be approved) next year or the year after, but I will definitely do the best that I can to keep it on the floor."

Housakos said this is just one aspect of his mandate as the Conservative government's lone representative in Parliament from Montreal where the party has virtually been shut out in elections for the past 20 years.

"Obviously we have a lot of work to do in the greater Montreal area," said Housakos, who was a Canadian Alliance candidate in the region during the 2000 federal election. "There's no secret it's one of the toughest parts of the country for us."

He said Harper has asked him to engage with Montrealers, cultural groups and communities throughout the city to listen to their concerns and be their voice in the Conservative caucus. He said he hopes that federalists in Montreal will recognize that they have an alternative to the Liberal party and begin to play a "vibrant" role in the Conservative party.

"I think they should never forget that the Liberal party was ready to form a coalition government with a leader who was not worthy to remain leader of the Liberal party," he said. "But they were willing to make him prime minister of Canada with a knife at the throat from Gilles Duceppe and the Bloc Quebecois supporting that government. I think that's unacceptable."

Housakos, a longtime fundraiser for the Conservatives and provincial Action democratique du Quebec parties, said he has always supported an elected and effective Senate and will gladly support legislation to reform Parliament's upper chamber when it's introduced by the government, possibly in the coming weeks.

mdesouza@canwest.com
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Windsor+Quebec+high+speed+train+pushed/1265370/story.html

A corridor going from Kingston to Ottawa to Montreal would add 70 km or so to the trip, not a whole lot considering it adds a market of a million people and the speeds involved. European HSR lines zigzag all the time to hit major cities. The only significant population centres that route would miss are Brockville and Cornwall, which have 98,000 people combined and are already served by VIA.

That section of Canadian Shield north of Kingston is only about 40 km long. The rest of the route is mostly farmland. It wouldn't be all that difficult to blast through that, especially compared to the tunnels that are routinely built for HSR in Europe, or even the highways we build right here in Ontario. Anyone who's driven Hwy 11 to North Bay or 400/69 to Sudbury knows what I mean, there are some massive rights of way being blasted through hundreds of km of rock up there.
[/url]

No doubt, they'll blast through anything safely - theres one cut out that has sides over 100 feet that'll be opening up this summer. Prolly would be best to get north eastern construction company to do the blasting though, outsiders tend to screw it up badly.

It wouldn't just add 70 kms to the trip Toronto-Montreal, it would add a substantial dwell time and need to travel at low speed through the Metro Ottawa area. It would add quite a bit to the trip time for a Toronto/Montreal express.

It wouldn't just add 70 kms to the trip Toronto-Montreal, it would add a substantial dwell time and need to travel at low speed through the Metro Ottawa area. It would add quite a bit to the trip time for a Toronto/Montreal express.
Well, currently the express is 4-hours, and with this it would be 3-hours - so I don't think it's adding time, in as much as it's not saving the additional 30 minutes or so.

Well, currently the express is 4-hours, and with this it would be 3-hours - so I don't think it's adding time, in as much as it's not saving the additional 30 minutes or so.

I'd wager that that 70 kms would add closer to an hour with dwell time and acceleration/deceleration factored in.

I'd wager that that 70 kms would add closer to an hour with dwell time and acceleration/deceleration factored in.
How could it ... if it's 2-hours to Ottawa, and 3-hours to Montreal, then with the extra distance, and the lousy approach into Montreal since they closed Bonaventure Station and removed the tracks from Windsor Station.

In any case, Ottawa would still need a bypass, whether its on the rail corridor through south Ottawa, south of Barrhaven and the greenbelt, or the CP mainline. An Montreal-Toronto express would demand it.

Maybe once the system is up and running ... these things are normally incremental though - build the busiest common leg first ... which would be Toronto-Kingston ...

What route do current VIA trains take to get into Gare Cenrale from Dorval? I would imagine the mount royal tunnel, but i have never travelled the route.

Back