News   Jul 26, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Queen W & Portland fire

^But Bathurst + Queen already has the highest Police call volume.

I don't know about suggesting taking crime into our own hands by photographing drug deals. You're going to get yourself killed.

Otherwise, I do like your ideas about finding out who's serving the drunks and about getting the shelters to take responsibility for their "tenants".

How nice if a half dozen of our best local architects - who don't design buildings based on visually loud disconuities - were hired to revive this block in the contemporary idiom. Old photographs of Georgian and Victorian Toronto show a city of similarly modest buildings, designed to fit in and create a coherent whole. While we mourn the passing of these structures we can also celebrate the continuity of the spirit that created them - here and elsewhere.

As far as the redevelopment of this block is concerned, it would have been more tragic if the buildings next to the parking lot had been destroyed too.

As least there is still some of the old buildings between the gap that will now exist. I am hoping that will put pressure on whoever redevelops the block to at least have something that will fit in with the remaining buildings on the block.

Does anyone know what happened to the buildings that were on the parking lot?? And when they were lost too??

Although the buildings next to the parking lot weren't demolished by the fire, it appears as if at least the two closes to the fire have suffered severe water damage and may need to be gutted also.

As least there is still some of the old buildings between the gap that will now exist. I am hoping that will put pressure on whoever redevelops the block to at least have something that will fit in with the remaining buildings on the block.
They aren't much to look at to be honest. Still, it's probably good as it will make block-busting harder.

How nice if a half dozen of our best local architects - who don't design buildings based on visually loud disconuities - were hired to revive this block in the contemporary idiom. Old photographs of Georgian and Victorian Toronto show a city of similarly modest buildings, designed to fit in and create a coherent whole. While we mourn the passing of these structures we can also celebrate the continuity of the spirit that created them - here and elsewhere.

I think I already addressed this but in case you've forgotten...

1075_385_20quadrangle_20NBLOX_small.jpg

As you'll see it's a contemporary building that enhances the local artitecture surrounding it. If we infilled more gaps in the old downtown area with more aestethically refined, unconventionally-constructed structures, the city could garner even a greater cosmopolitan reputation :cool:.

How about 10 floors on this site: 1st floor small retail stores to replace those lost; 2nd-4th floor MOCCA, 5th-10th rental lofts.

Now you're talking. Sometimes fate does these things for a reason. There's no valid reason to merely re-create faux-Geogrian/Victorian era 2-storeys for the sake of blending in with the other gazillion real Georgian/Victorian artitecture surrounding the burnout zone. The area can and should adapt to new forms of style. Just look a few blocks east, can you imagine now that all of Soho (Toronto's Fifth Avenue ;)) once remotely resembled the run-down necrotizing Bathurst/Queen area?

Adam Vaughan plans a Victorian-era rebuild for victims of Queen West fire
Posted: February 27, 2008, 2:14 AM by Zosia Bielski
By Zosia Bielski, National Post

0226queenst.jpg

The rebuilding of the historic Queen Street West block destroyed by last Wednesday’s fire could begin as early as this spring, says councillor Adam Vaughan.

At a meeting for business and property owners held yesterday afternoon inside the nearby Burroughs Building, Mr. Vaughan pledged the reconstruction would see the stretch just east of Bathurst revived into one of North America’s finest Victorian era shopping districts.

“The hope here is to recreate not just the physical architecture in a way that’s sensitive to heritage but also, the social architecture that’s here. There are very few places in Toronto where a family can start a business, live on top of a store and have a tenant above them. That’s a unique form of cultural heritage in the city and ... we want to facilitate that coming back to Queen West because it’s part of why people move to this neighbourhood,†Mr. Vaughan said.

Although officials have yet to contact some of the block’s approximately 60 tenants, several of whom “just fled†on Wednesday morning the councillor’s executive assistant Ange Kinnear said yesterday, Mr. Vaughan is already dreaming big.

“The goal here was to stop the march of the mall, from the Eaton Centre along Queen West and to start to protect this heritage. The idea is to protect it all the way to Parkdale, but this is the first leg of it,†he said.

Brothers Brad and Trevor Moss owned 613 Queen Street West, a two-storey building dating back to the 1850s that most recently housed the clothing store Preloved, as well as two residential tenants.

Trevor Ross said his insurance company estimated reconstruction would likely take two years. He added that although city officials “didn’t really commit†to a time frame, Mr. Vaughan did suggest a rebuild could take as little as nine months.

“The city has promised to work with the land owners to expedite the process of rebuilding. They have a real interest in seeing what was here come back and promised that if the landowners work towards that goal, they will be very generous and quick about getting things back to the way they were,†Mr. Ross said.

“It’s not going to be an easy process, even with the help from the city because there are so many different departments you have to deal with, and the insurance company.â€

Like other landlords, the Moss brothers will see little progress until the site is released to their insurance agents. Yesterday, that process looked distant as investigators in masks and forensic suits sifted through the charred rubble with rakes. The cause of the blaze is still undetermined.

Another meeting is scheduled for residents tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. at the Theatre Passe Muraille. As well on Friday, city officials will meet with dozens of artists who have offered to hold benefit concerts for the tenants.

Ms. Kinnear said she was moved by the spontaneous generosity of Torontonians across the west end, including Virginia Johnson, an Ossington Avenue clothing designer who has offered tenants one free outfit each, as well as a couple of empty nesters who called Mr. Vaughan’s office from High Park to offer their homes.

Photo: Demolition team members continue to clean up the fire that ripped through Queen Street at Bathurst Street. (Peter J. Thompson/National Post)

“The goal here was to stop the march of the mall, from the Eaton Centre along Queen West and to start to protect this heritage. The idea is to protect it all the way to Parkdale, but this is the first leg of it,†he said.

I can see this turning into a permanent city-sponsored hipster district...would there be any quicker way to kill Queen West? Let the area become a mall and let Queen West folk leave and conquer Dundas or Danforth or wherever else might be next. I'd rather have Queen West mallified by moving the entirety of the Eaton Centre into its storefronts than have Queen West "protected" by injecting little bits of Cornell into the gaps.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what the replacement buildings look like as long as they have retail spaces that are at least as good as the ones destroyed...no shallow, mangy, precast + plate glass + grey panel cubicles suitable only for dry cleaners.

I can see this turning into a permanent city-sponsored hipster district...would there be any quicker way to kill Queen West? Let the area become a mall and let Queen West folk leave and conquer Dundas or Danforth or wherever else might be next. I'd rather have Queen West mallified by moving the entirety of the Eaton Centre into its storefronts than have Queen West "protected" by injecting little bits of Cornell into the gaps.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what the replacement buildings look like as long as they have retail spaces that are at least as good as the ones destroyed...no shallow, mangy, precast + plate glass + grey panel cubicles suitable only for dry cleaners.

I agree, there can be a balance between conservationist agendas and commercial ones. To ride down Queen West, and have modern glitzy storefronts on one side of Spadina and tacky 'corner-store' looking shops on the other is ridiculous. Someday the Queen West BIA will hopefully resemble the Yonge Street strip (an eclectic mixture of novelty shops and franchise chains).

“The hope here is to recreate not just the physical architecture in a way that’s sensitive to heritage but also, the social architecture that’s here. There are very few places in Toronto where a family can start a business, live on top of a store and have a tenant above them. That’s a unique form of cultural heritage in the city and ... we want to facilitate that coming back to Queen West because it’s part of why people move to this neighbourhood,†Mr. Vaughan said.

I agree with Adam Vaughan here. What's more, if it's actually rebuilt this way, I'd love to see it used as a model for new construction on streets around the city.

Back