News   Jun 17, 2024
 71     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Queen W & Portland fire

The graphic of buildings lost and damaged as linked above from the Toronto Star and photos of the block from Portland to Bathurst from last June. #609 - #629 Queen West indicated with the arrow below the photo

queen_west-lost.jpg

2280326352_8f9a348e4f_b_mod.jpg

what a shame! Feel so sorry for those out of a home or out of business! Its going to hurt to walk past this are and see a giant gaping hole in what was formerly a thriving section of Queen W. I am always suspicious about occurences like this... and I dread seeing some cheap ass modern development move in here.

Maybe they’ll get a better building code together and fireproofing regulations now. :mad:

What do you mean? Those buildings were built many many decades ago, Of if those buildings were to be constructed in the exact same way today as they were back then, the current building code would never allow it of course

^Many new codes are retroactive however it takes an inspection from a diligent inspector to enforce. From my experience, this never should of happen with current fire codes for multi-tenant buildings

If Fram could pull off an attractive development in the 'burbs than surely Fram or someone else could pull off a similar feat here? Even in Montreal attractive 3-4 story retail infill is being built today on vacant main st land.

I would say this strip should either be rebuilt (ie facades only) or go the route of Stewart St--6 story (Clewes-style) loft buildings (red brick) above intimate retail spaces.

But for at least 3 years we'll have to put up with an enormous vacant eyesore along Queen St West--if individual property owners can agree maybe another huge parking lot?

Either way, the fire certainly does create opportunity for the Reverb owners to close their club, renovate the ground floor (glass windows), and jack up rents to create a desirable corner. I anticipate the NW corner of Queen/Bathurst would make an awesome SBUX.

I wonder what will replace those historic buildings lost now? I highly doubt this community can keep global conglomerates (i.e. chain stores) at bay for long. First Home Depot wants in, but now in a prime real estate locale such as Bathurst/Queen I can foresee many big corporations jockeying for a position. Perhaps a mini shopping mall's to come? A fresh new look modelled after an artitectural feat such as this building- artistic, ultra-modern, chic- would more or less be the embodiment of Queen West :cool:!

1075_385_20quadrangle_20NBLOX_small.jpg

The insurance companies will pay out the owners nicely, each of which will do the math...do I keep the couple hundred grand I've just received and retire nicely, or do I use it all to rebuild the business and continue working in low-margin retail until I die?

The owner of National Sound mentioned on the news that Insurance companies don't insure on Queen. I do not know if this is true or not? They are older buildings that are seen as a liablility by the insurance companies.

If there is infact Insurance money, which I think there has to be because I don't know who would run stores without some sort of insurance, then you said it right. They will take the money and run, sell the properties and relocate / retire with a nice wad of cash.

If it's true that a business or apartment dweller cannot get insurance coverage in older buildings due to high risk then maybe it's a flag to building inspectors that there is a problem. Owners should be ordered to bring their property up to code so as to protect life and property. Failure to comply within a reasonable time frame should result in fines and a lien against the owner.

I'm not certain that's really fair. There are thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of these century old buildings across Canada with serious issues. You'd have to literally rebuild the entire structure to get up to code. Not worth the effort; remember, not everyone and not every building owner is a trendy downtown renovate-or-bust millionaire.

I hope that when they do rebuild, that the buildings will not be single story stores that become a ghost town at night.
I would like to see stores on the first floor, offices on the second, and residential above that.
Maybe even a short setback on the main floor with a second floor overhang.

I'd be awfully surprised if the business owners did not have insurance. I think Admiral probably has it right; most of these owners will take the money and run (as is their right).

Much as it is a disaster to see heritage buildings gone, I don't think there should be an attempt to rebuild them just as they were before. Such efforts are easily spotted as fake. Surely a good architect or two could create something here that is up to date, yet fully respectful of the surroundings. I envision street retail, hopefully several relatively small stores, with two or maybe three levels of apartments above, and with a generous use of brick as one of the elements to blend in to the existing form of the street.

I can't believe the city would allow anything resembling "big box" architecture. Even a so-called big box store such as Home Depot has recognized that in these inner-city locations, a different design is required.

I've seen a few buildings in small towns in Ontario being reconstructed to look exactly like they had before and after a few months, you couldn't tell it had burned down. I remember a great brick building in grimsby was burned down and they just rebuilt it updated to code.

I'd be happy with anything brick here and I would be very very disappointed in the city and the developers if we see the word "precast" mentioned anywhere in the planning documents. Is it so hard for Toronto to produce a great modern brick midrise these days?

Too bad about the north part of Jazz however.

The buildings lost weren't that special design wise. But they were special for the streets-cape they created. There is absolutely no reason they can't recreate that if they insist on narrow store fronts and multiple buildings for the site rather than just one.

Back