News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 715     0 

Quebec-Windsor Corridor

Regardless, the NDP aren't going to bring the government down and the LPC aren't going to call an election when they're down 20 points in the polls. Wait until after the US does theirs, then Ontario, then worry about the next federal election.
Next Ontario election is scheduled for June 2026. Given what happened the last time a majority Ontario government tried to take advantage of a big polling, and have an election after 3 years - I'd think the federal election should be before the province.

Next Ontario election is scheduled for June 2026. Given what happened the last time a majority Ontario government tried to take advantage of a big polling, and have an election after 3 years - I'd think the federal election should be before the province.
There's already strong speculation that Ford may call an early one next year. We'll see what that means but currently he is strong in the polls so he may do that to solidify his power for another 4 years early

To be honest, the PC's absolute domination is completely unshakeable despite multiple scandals worse than any of their predecessors. Nothing seems to stick to them and the opposition is highly ineffective. I could see the PCs staying in power well into the 2030s. It would likely be smart for them to hold an early election.

I'm curious to see how Ford will mesh with PP though.

To be honest, the PC's absolute domination is completely unshakeable despite multiple scandals worse than any of their predecessors. Nothing seems to stick to them and the opposition is highly ineffective. I could see the PCs staying in power well into the 2030s. It would likely be smart for them to hold an early election.

I'm curious to see how Ford will mesh with PP though.

The threat of the use of the notwithstanding clause in Ontario to end a strike has not been tested with an election. The question is whether the NDP or Liberals are able to capitalize on it. Ontario tends to vote a different party in provincially and federally.

There's already strong speculation that Ford may call an early one next year. We'll see what that means but currently he is strong in the polls so he may do that to solidify his power for another 4 years early
There's invariably such media speculation. Especially during the summer when there is little else for political writers to write about. I can't see it happening until they at least hit the 3-year mark - and most likely later, given what happened the last time a strong majority government, leading in the polls, called an election for the 3-year mark.

Ford spends hundreds of millions to get out of an alcohol agreement a year early so cornerstores can sell beer and people think Ontario isn't calling an early election? All the man does is talk about beer during writ periods.

Ford spends hundreds of millions to get out of an alcohol agreement a year early so cornerstores can sell beer and people think Ontario isn't calling an early election? All the man does is talk about beer during writ periods.
Still waiting on my buck a beer.....

Well, with any luck the province of Ontario may come into the possession of 32 new Siemens trainsets in coming years.
If PP defunded VIA (which is unlikely), Amtrak would be far more likely to obtain them than Ontario.

If OntatioToronto did get them, they would cut all trains to Montreal (and east) and reduce the number of daily trains to Ottawa, from 10 down to 2 (like it was in the “glory days of rail”).

But we all know your dream is to see the end of intercity rail in Canada.

Last edited:
That's not the Constitution. You said they are bound by the constitution.

As I mentioned in my reply (that you just quoted) "Of course, there's mandatory election dates now - but that's not constitutional, and can be changed by Parliament".

You've quoted Section 56.1 of the Canada Elections Act. The Canada Elections Act is not part of the Constitution. It can be changed by a vote of Parliament.

It’s amazing how many Canadians don’t know anything about our Constitution. Many will talk about their constitutional rights and then quote the American Constitution.

But we all know your dream is to see the end of intercity rail in Canada.
I'm not sure what about my previous posts makes you think I would want to see the end of intercity rail in Canada. What I really want is to see rail used effectively, and to be run competently.

Discussion here lately has softened my views on VIA a bit, but after watching how HFR has unfolded since the mid 2010s, I don't feel as if I am entirely wrong. What I don't want is Ontario's intercity rail network to be held hostage by the federal agenda.

If PP defunded VIA (which is unlikely), Amtrak would be far more likely to obtain them than Ontario.
I'm not sure how you could see the PCs letting something like this pass them by given their transit and infrastructure populism of "we're getting it done". I couldn't see them squandering an opportunity to build massive goodwill by stepping in and saving passenger rail in the province. It would also give them ammunition for the Canadian Premier's favourite passtime: Blaming the federal government. Except here, for the first time in history, they would be completely justified.
If OntatioToronto did get them, they would cut all trains to Montreal (and east) and reduce the number of daily trains to Ottawa, from 10 down to 2 (like it was in the “glory days of rail”).
If this were really what would happen, then these service probably wouldn't run at all rather than having token frequencies.

Montreal services may be a temporary casualty. They might not be. But intra-provincial services should take priority, just like how local transit takes investment priority over intercity transit. By putting rail in competent and stable hands that has consistent voter support, you lay the foundation for interprovincial services that far exceed what could have been possible under the previous framework.

If PP pulls the plug on HFR, Ontario should take over the project. It's too important to lose. The eventual goal should be a provincial operator for internal services with potential for open access services to extend beyond Ottawa.

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume this as a given. Anything that might be viewed as even a little bit woke will be on the chopping block, especially if it goes counter to big lobbying agencies!

I wouldn't assume this as a given. Anything that might be viewed as even a little bit woke will be on the chopping block, especially if it goes counter to big lobbying agencies!
I just despise these current harem of conservatives who care nothing but populism and counter "woke" political games. Harpers regime was 10x better than what PP could ever be. He's just a mini trump wannabe

Harpers regime was 10x better than what PP could ever be. He's just a mini trump wannabe
I really don't think we know this yet. Harpers regime was better than we could hope to be. And Ford's regime from a Transportation and Infrastructure perspective has ended up being better than Wynne, McGuinty, Harris, Rae or Peterson.

I really don't think we know this yet. Harpers regime was better than we could hope to be. And Ford's regime from a Transportation and Infrastructure perspective has ended up being better than Wynne, McGuinty, Harris, Rae or Peterson.
Arguably. But it's also true that most of the transit projects under Ford have been continuations or variations of those started before he was elected, such as GO expansion, the Ontario Line, and the Crosstown for example. While I'll give credit to Ford for not cancelling them, I also give credit to Wynne and McGuinty for starting them. In the post-Harris years were were at a baseline of zero mass transit investment and these are long term projects that can't be credited to just one premier.

Back