318     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 742     0 

Public Works Minister in the Senate

E

EnviroTO

I think the appointment of a Quebecer to the Senate and making him the Minister of Public Works is the most questionable act of Harper's cabinet appointments. Firstly, he campaigned on supporting an elected Senate and his first act was to toss it out. Secondly, he campaigned on accountability but now the Minister of Public Works won't even be sitting in the house to be held accountable to the opposition. How does appointing an unelected person to the senate who can't be questioned by the opposition (which there is a lot of since it is a minority government) increase accountability? The Public Works Department is where government is run and it will be handled by an unelected minister not available to the house!!! The Public Works Department is where the government will deal with Sponsorships, Advertising, Contracting, Real Estate, Staff Levels, etc. The least Harper could do is make him minister of something less important.

This just in from the Globe:

'Didn't want to run' in election, Fortier says
TERRY WEBER

Globe and Mail Update

Public Works Minister Michael Fortier — who stepped into a key cabinet post despite not seeking election — told reporters Tuesday that he did not run for office last month because it "wasn't the right situation."

"I didn't run in the election because I didn't want to run in the election," Mr. Fortier said, exiting the first meeting of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's caucus in Ottawa.

"I had a great career, five young kids, and so it wasn't the right situation for me to run when the election came around. That's just the simple truth."

On Monday, Mr. Harper stirred controversy almost immediately after taking office by appointing Mr. Fortier — a key party organizer in Quebec — and former Liberal David Emerson to posts in his 26-member cabinet.

Mr. Fortier was also appointed to the Senate to allow him to hold the cabinet position, even though Mr. Harper has frequently said he favours an elected senate.

The appointment was made on the condition that Mr. Fortier give up the Senate posting when the next federal election is called.

Asked about his reasons for accepting the post despite his reluctance to seek officer, Mr. Fortier said: "Well, because the prime minister phoned me and there was this gaping hole in the Montreal-area."

Although the Conservatives made gains in many regions of Canada last month on the road to forming a minority government, the party was shut out of the country's three biggest centres, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

Following Monday's swearing-in ceremony, Mr. Harper said he chose to bring both Mr. Fortier and Mr. Emerson into his cabinet to bolster regional representation. In addition to concern over Mr. Fortier's appointment, critics also blasted the decision to draft Mr. Emerson, who had been elected as a Liberal.

By Tuesday morning, at least one Internet petition was circulating, calling for Mr. Emerson's immediate resignation.

"We also call on Prime Minister Harper to keep his election campaign promise to respect the will of Canadians and request that he call a by-election and allow the voters of Vancouver Kingsway to elect to Parliament a member who represents their political beliefs and principles," the petition, circulated by a group calling itself Canadians for Ethical Political Behaviour, said.

Advocacy group Democracy Watch has also said it will complain to the federal ethics commissioner about Mr. Emerson's decision to accept a cabinet position in the Harper government even though he was still technically Liberal industry minister until the transition of power took place this week.

Exiting the caucus meeting, Mr. Harper's MPs stood behind his decision.

"I want to say personally that I have always gotten along with Mr. Emerson," newly appointed Justice Minister Vic Toews said. "I found him to be a non-partisan individual. I would have never necessarily considered him a member of our party, but he was non-partisan, he was motivated in terms of his policy on a principled basis and I think that's why there was this coming together of Mr. Emerson and our party."

On election night, Mr. Emerson had told supporters that the return of "a stronger, more vibrant, healthier winning Liberal Party" and told reporters he would like to be Mr. Harper's "worst nightmare" in the coming session.

The Conservatives placed a distant third in the Vancouver Kingsway riding in the Jan. 23 election, taking 18 per cent of the vote. By comparison, Mr. Emerson, running as a Liberal, took 43 per cent of the vote, followed by the NDP, with 33 per cent.

At the outset of Tuesday's caucus meeting, Mr. Harper was given polite applause when he introduced the two new cabinet ministers.

The guarded ovation matched the careful comments of MPs on the choice of Mr. Fortier and Mr. Emerson. But Mr. Harper also made efforts to assure each member of his caucus of their importance.

"Every elected member of this caucus has equal power," he said.

"This is where the real power will be."

Albertan Myron Thompson predicts that constituents will give him an earful over Mr. Fortier's appointment to the Senate to gain a cabinet job plus Mr. Emerson's switch in parties to get his job.

Mr. Thompson said he has never supported appointing senators or MPs' switching parties without benefit of by-elections but says he is willing to trust that Mr. Harper knows what is best.

Meanwhile, Mr. Harper on Tuesday named long-time MP Jay Hill, 53, the chief government whip.

The whip is in charge of party discipline; one of his key roles is to ensure MPs vote the party line.

With a report from Canadian Press

Hmm, I am sure being a Minister won't be terribly distracting to the family.

AoD

i don't think harpers gonna last long. he can't go two days without making serious mistakes.

Darkstar:

Emerson isn't wrong about that - especially with people like him gone! :lol Certainly, this is turning to be a PR disaster for Harper as well.

AoD

On election night, Mr. Emerson had told supporters that the return of "a stronger, more vibrant, healthier winning Liberal Party" and told reporters he would like to be Mr. Harper's "worst nightmare" in the coming session.
Wow. :lol

i don't think harpers gonna last long. he can't go two days without making serious mistakes.

I don't think you are looking at the big picture here. It might be a PR mistake in the short-term - but I think he is willing to take that hit, figuring that they are not going to be brought down on who they pick for cabinet (and probably not for the first year).

They will then turn around and pass legislation:

- Accountability Act
- Electing Senators (something that the Liberals just ignored after someone was elected)
- Legislation that they can form coalitions on with the NDP

If they get that far... then the selections will not affect them. They have a stronger and more experienced cabinet (with representation from Greater Vancouver/Greater Toronto and Greater Montreal regions). At that point I think they will be in shape if the other parties want to bring them down.

Not to mention, if they do negotiate with the US on trade, you have a former Liberal -- former head of CanFor (lumber) person in that position -- a little harder to attack him for "selling out Canada".

Think of all moves from now on as chess moves -- not short-term.

Who is the person representing Toronto again? I keep hearing that Emerson was brought on to represent Vancouver, the appointed Senate member was brought on to represent Montreal, and that Toronto has representation. Who is the Toronto representative? The candidate for Parry Sound or Oshawa? I hate to point out that Parry Sound and Oshawa don't share the same budget concerns. What percentage of the people in Oshawa or Whitby would need transit? How much of the gang activity is showing up in Parry Sound? How much is the Parry Sound and Oshawa budgets hampered by the lack of cheap green fields for new developments?

They will then turn around and pass legislation:

So we should justify his actions and say they are ok because maybe he is going to do something good in the end? Governments are not just on good intentions, they are judged by their actions. There is not proof that Harper is doing this too position himself to make good on passing an accountability act and legislation to elect senators when his actions are contradictory to all that. For all we know there is just as much a chance he will totally forget about those campaign promises.

I will not paint Harper as a boogie man who is creating an evil coalition to destroy Canada. But, based on the actions that have taken place I see no reason why I should just blindly trust a person who in one day has acted in very hypocritical manner. If one day he does good, then thats good, but he hasnt, and until that day actually comes I see no reason to believe Conservative talking points that everything will work out peachy keen.

harper said that jim flatery (sic) is representing toronto & the 905.

ontario got the WORST. we got the axe of mike harris and we got clement.

why don't these people just ever go away!!!!!

Toronto Mississauga and Northern residential areas are all Liberal or NDP but the entire belt around that is Conservative blue. Although they are outside the area -- it is better than nothing.

Add Brampton, Ajax and Pickering to that. You have to get quite away from Steeles, Etobicoke Creek or Rouge River to hit any Conservative ridings. They start in the outer 905 belt - Halton, Caledon, Whitby, etc. When the member for Whitby is Toronto's representative (not even in the Toronto CMA), that's pretty lame. That's the equivalent of a minister from Abbotsford representing Vancouver, or a minister from Granby representing Montreal.

Milhouse had to seek refuge in Kamp Krusty (and win by 29 votes) to become health minister.

It might be a PR mistake in the short-term

And many strategists remember that a large number of small PR mistakes come back to haunt at a later date.

Milhouse had to seek refuge in Kamp Krusty (and win by 29 votes) to become health minister.

coffee was just launched through my nose!

I think the appointment of a Quebecer to the Senate and making him the Minister of Public Works is the most questionable act of Harper's cabinet appointments

You realize that we had a PM who tried to rule from the Senate. As well, Pierre Pettigrew wasn't an elected representative or senator when he was first appointed a cabinet minister under the Liberal Regime.

jeicow:

Incidentally, that's the regime Harper et. al. criticized for being unaccountable, less than transparent, etc.

AoD

Back