News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Provincial Election 2011

I think people should be more worried about the greenbelt, and the Tories' staunch opposition to it.

While certainly far from perfect, both the Greenbelt and the Places to Grow Act were both amazing pieces of legislation and in my mind at least make the McGuinty Liberals worth electing. They do tend to do some stupid things, such as the whole eco fees fiasco; but with Hudak elected we would have sprawl all the way to Barrie. Caledon is already the new suburban frontier

The eco fees were actually strong policy, but the launch was handled badly. That and the sex ed fiasco earlier this year were both bad missteps from the provincial government.

Taxes are always going to be unpopular, but if the PCs can't campaign on actually eliminating the HST they won't get much traction.

If I were working on the PC campaign, I'd pull a Harper and campaign on cutting the HST by two points over four years. This is an absolutely TERRIBLE policy from a fiscal perspective and every economist in the province will call them on it but it'll still resonate.

There was a lot of HST out cry, you might not of heard it over the protest of the eco tax fiasco.
Which McGuinty quickly eliminated when it was clear it wasn't going to work as planned. That was gone so fast, I can't imagine campaigning against it would get much traction.

If I were working on the PC campaign, I'd pull a Harper and campaign on cutting the HST by two points over four years. This is an absolutely TERRIBLE policy from a fiscal perspective and every economist in the province will call them on it but it'll still resonate.

It will be a bad idea, but that is what really made the Federal Tories popular in Suburban Ontario.

I don't see how Tories have much to gain with HST; they've made it clear they won't repeal it. At best they can promise to lower the rate.

The NDP are the only party who have said they would repeal it ... so they might make some mileage ... though their profile is so low these days, I'm not even sure who the current leader is!

once again, the NDP will say anything and do anything to get elected...

NDP talking tax cuts is like the conservatives promising more social programs...

lol.

once again, the NDP will say anything and do anything to get elected...

NDP talking tax cuts is like the conservatives promising more social programs...

lol.

Conservatives have historically supported targeted social programs. Similarly, several NDP governments have cut taxes. So nothing lol worthy in that.

Conservatives have historically supported targeted social programs. Similarly, several NDP governments have cut taxes. So nothing lol worthy in that.
Historically Conservatives were Progressive. This is no longer the case with most Conservatives like Hudak, Harper, and Harris. David, Mulroney, and Clark (and even Tory) are a different breed that H, H, and H.

Times change and parties change. In the USA, it was once the Democrats who favoured slavery while the Republicans wanted to end it.

And once upon a time it was the Liberals that were known for blowing budgets, and the Conservatives that would run surpluses.

Back