College - Winners
Wellesley - Lanterra
Museum - Four Seasons
Queens Park - Ontario Power Generation
Eglinton - RioCan
Sheppard - Hullmark Centre or Proctor and Gamble
Finch - Manulife Financial
North York Centre - Trimark

do we seriously wanna go down this route?

Bassarion - Park Place
Bayview - Bayview Village
Hwy 407 - this one already is
Union - Royal York
Museum - Four Seasons

Sure, those sound fine. The only issue is that Four Seasons should be Osgoode (FS Centre) or Bay (FS Hotel/condo)

Leslie Station - Ikea
Bassarion - Park Place
Bayview - Bayview Village or Daniels
Sheppard & Yonge - Nestle
Vaughan Metro Centre - Royal Bank Vaughan
Hwy 407 - this one already is
Steeles West - UPS
Finch West - Tridel Village
Union - Royal York
King - TD Centre
Queen - Cadallic Fariview
Yonge - Holt Renfew
Bloor - The Hundson's Bay Co
College - Winners
Wellesley - Lanterra
Museum - Four Seasons
Queens Park - Ontario Power Generation
Eglinton - RioCan
Sheppard - Hullmark Centre or Proctor and Gamble
Finch - Manulife Financial
North York Centre - Trimark

No, that sounds like it's reducing our urban geography to one big billboard. Those names are generally not practical for wayfinding and overall it's less functional. Selling naming rights is just bolstering the political power base uninterested in funding the infrastructure to keep the economy going. Just say "no" to such gimmicks.

Lansdowne = House Of Lancaster? (Why not; apparently the owner's a big BIA-type figure thereabouts. Sorta like the Zanzibar guy relative to Downtown Yonge.)

I personally hate the corporate naming that's becoming rampant in our culture these days. It feels cold, shallow and as though our public sphere doesn't truly belong to the people anymore.

Lansdowne = House Of Lancaster? (Why not; apparently the owner's a big BIA-type figure thereabouts. Sorta like the Zanzibar guy relative to Downtown Yonge.)

Apparently the House of Lancaster is quite the sketchy place. Lots of prostitution on the premises.

Just because the TTC decides to make necessary public transportation space a permanently coercive environment, doesn't mean citizens have to stand for it.
Public transit for Toronto at this point is not a choice for citizens - the city has been built for it. Not taking it is not an option.
This is a legacy left by the people who built the city in goodwill for the people who use it now. The public in this case is also a captive audience, one that our current city hall poobahs are getting ready to cynically sell over for junk.

I'm interested in how to block more ads. Not just ads that might come in the future - but also things like "station domination" and vehicle wrapping that are being done, now. Also, finding out if there would be a viable legal case against the selling off of public visual space.
If it does go through, what individual and community means of blocking, removing and reversal of the new situation could be effectively implemented?

Last edited:
I personally hate the corporate naming that's becoming rampant in our culture these days. It feels cold, shallow and as though our public sphere doesn't truly belong to the people anymore.

Totally agree.

Apparently the House of Lancaster is quite the sketchy place. Lots of prostitution on the premises.

Don't think I didn't mean it vaguely tongue in cheek. And as far as "prostitution on premises" go...well, what such venue *isn't* like that. I think the HoL proprietor is just "it is what it is, and I know how to handle it" about it, and (perhaps by way of "overcompensation"; but, hey) has a knack for turning that circumstance into something positive and active relative to the neighbourhood, even offering his premises for "art events" when required. In the end, perhaps, he's no different from NOW's Michael Hollett and Alice Klein, aka King + Queen of the (at least pre-internet-era) Adult Classifieds...

Don't think I didn't mean it vaguely tongue in cheek. And as far as "prostitution on premises" go...well, what such venue *isn't* like that. I think the HoL proprietor is just "it is what it is, and I know how to handle it" about it, and (perhaps by way of "overcompensation"; but, hey) has a knack for turning that circumstance into something positive and active relative to the neighbourhood, even offering his premises for "art events" when required. In the end, perhaps, he's no different from NOW's Michael Hollett and Alice Klein, aka King + Queen of the (at least pre-internet-era) Adult Classifieds...

I would like to name the streetcar stops at Dundas and Spadina, the Victory Theatre stops, but unfortunately the theatre is no longer a theatre.

Just because the TTC decides to make necessary public transportation space a permanently coercive environment, doesn't mean citizens have to stand for it.
Public transit for Toronto at this point is not a choice for citizens - the city has been built for it. Not taking it is not an option.
This is a legacy left by the people who built the city in goodwill for the people who use it now. The public in this case is also a captive audience, one that our current city hall poobahs are getting ready to cynically sell over for junk.

I'm interested in how to block more ads. Not just ads that might come in the future - but also things like "station domination" and vehicle wrapping that are being done, now. Also, finding out if there would be a viable legal case against the selling off of public visual space.
If it does go through, what individual and community means of blocking, removing and reversal of the new situation could be effectively implemented?
The most effective was to block and remvove advertisement from our public spaces is to buy the ad space for non-ads. Legally speaking, the City could ban privately owned billboards and other advertising surfaces, but for publically owned spaces, the City has just signed a 12-year deal that would have to be cancelled and penalties paid.

Selling "naming rights" to TTC Subway Stations: Yes...provided...

Everyone: I noticed that the TTC proposes to sell "naming rights" to its Subway stations...

To this I say YES provided that it is administered properly...

An example of this that I feel was NOT done properly is in Philadelphia in which AT&T
bought the rights to the SEPTA Broad Street Subway's Pattison Avenue terminal at the S end of that line which is adjacent to Philadelphia's Sports Complex which is now known as "AT&T Station" exclusively...

I thought that it should have been "AT&T Station at Pattison Avenue"
or the "AT&T Sports Complex Station at Pattison Avenue"...

I went down there last month and on a ride down to that station decided to look and see how many times Pattison Avenue was mentioned...NONE!
SEPTA went as far as to remove even the directional signs to both sides of Pattison Avenue there...making it perhaps even more confusing to some...

I feel that the TTC could use the revenue from naming rights but NOT at the expense of losing all mention of a well-established name...I also feel that needlessly confusing riders can only work against naming rights and may cause a "backlash"...

Thoughts and opinions from Long Island Mike

Last edited:

Back