News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 611     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

To be fair, it's $0.05 on a full $3.00 cash fare for the minimum $27m for 12-years. Also, losing riders would be a net revenue gain, as there still is a public subsidy on their fare. It would be a gross revenue lose still though. It's still a pitance, but it does represent $24 a year off the price of a MetroPass.

The $27 million (per year) was all advertising across the entire system. Dundas station naming rights will be a tiny fraction of that.

Last edited:
The $27 million (per year) was all advertising across the entire system. Dundas station naming rights will be a tiny fraction of that.
$27 million across the whole system against $1.6 billion operating budget across the whole system is $0.05 of a $3.00 fare. Dundas will be a fraction of that, but the $27m represents the risk/potential of the full system. They might get marginally more by including the name in an exclusive advertising area, but it's the same pool of clients that's buying the ads. If they get Dundas or another station, they have less need or ability to spend across the remainder of the network.

Last edited:
Attention passengers. Service is being disrupted. Someone jumped on to the tracks at Coca-Cola Station ...

I'm sure coca-cola would love that kind of coverage.

$27 million across the whole system against $1.6 billion operating budget across the whole system is $0.05 of a $3.00 far.
In your previous post you said $27 million over 12 years. Here you seem to use $27 million over a single year.

If TTC can get $27 million a year for the naming of a single station to reduce fares a nickel ... go for it.

But that's the magnitude we are looking at. If they can only get $5 million a year, it would only reduce fares a penny. Some here are talking about $1 million a year. That would decrease fares 0.2¢. Not worth it.

Sorry, $27 million per year for the contract term of 12 years. $324 million in total.

Attention passengers. Service is being disrupted. Someone jumped on to the tracks at Coca-Cola Station ...

I'm sure coca-cola would love that kind of coverage.

We are currently experiencing a delay westbound at our PJ's Pet Centre Station due to an animal at track level.

I got thinking about alternative funding models, and what if they had a select number of seats near the driver that were available at a surcharge? Zonal charges using Presto makes sense as well, but politically charged.

Instead of selling station names, so that they get heard on announcements and on the maps, why not go fill tilt and sell extra announcement space (6 30-second ads per rush-hour @ $90 each @ 69 stations = $0.10 fare)? Instead of selling blocks of the same ad over and over, we might actually get some variety and local businesses could afford to get their name out.

Transit advertisement works by going big. Having many ads from different advertisers dilutes the message. You need the constant barrage from one advertiser to get the message across, otherwise it is just white noise for everyone.

How about "Prozac" advertisements on TTC drivers uniforms: "Take a chill pill"?

Off-topic, but TTC should have adopted distance based fare a long time ago. Yes, I am aware of the political ramifications, but London and Singapore do it, so why not here?

Off-topic, but TTC should have adopted distance based fare a long time ago. Yes, I am aware of the political ramifications, but London and Singapore do it, so why not here?
You need to see the history of amalgamation in Toronto to follow the logic of fare structures. There is a good TTC fare history article on Toronto Transit.

For those that haven't seen it, the new system advert deal report is found here.

Somewhat related, McDonald's at Dundas West just renewed their lease at an annual rent of $210,000 plus $7,200 for "basement storage space".

The most interest line, I thought was "McDonald’s will continue to pay for common area maintenance, utilities, taxes and other charges which are in addition to the minimum rent."

800 square feet @ $262.50 – restaurant
360 square feet @ $20.00 – storage

"By comparison, the Cinnabon store at Sheppard station pays $150 per square foot. Retail stores in the vicinity of the Dundas West subway station are paying a range of $10 to $50 per square foot."

I'm fine with advertising and naming rights, great go ahead. But looking at the big picture we should acknowledge that this is an exercise in BS by an immature society lead by immature men.

Why it is immature is that it is tweaking around for ways of prying money for things that we don't have the guts to say this is how much it costs and this is how much you need to pay if you want this. In essence these alternative revenue streams are saying: we are trying to run away from our problems and afraid to tell the truth.

If we want public transit we should be paying for public transit. If we do not want public transit we should cut public transit. Getting an extra few bucks from advertising revenue has virtually no impact on these more fundamental issues. This has nothing to do with affordability it only has to do with priority.

$27 million across the whole system against $1.6 billion operating budget across the whole system is $0.05 of a $3.00 fare. Dundas will be a fraction of that, but the $27m represents the risk/potential of the full system. They might get marginally more by including the name in an exclusive advertising area, but it's the same pool of clients that's buying the ads. If they get Dundas or another station, they have less need or ability to spend across the remainder of the network.

Agreed, particularly with that last point. I think actual net revenue from this station naming thing could be dangerously close to negative; particularly if all signage across the entire network is redone twice to accommodate (once to add and once to remove afterword).

Back