News   Jul 26, 2024
 163     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Pride Toronto to bid for World Pride 2014

DC83...your argument is extremely weak and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about! My parents are Guyanese (but I was born in Canada), I have traveled to Jamaica, Guyana, & Trinidad several times for business with government officials, and I know more about this issue than you. Guyanese and Trinis might make their jokes about gays and lesbians (i.e. high pitch voice, hand on hips, etc.) but at the end of the day, we don't physically hurt them. Jamaicans take things to another level where not only do they make fun of gays and lesbians, but also they want to hurt and kill them. Look at the annual Jamaican Pride event in Jamaica where people show up to the event with guns and other weapons and Jamaican Police Officers do little or nothing to protect gays and lesbians. This issue is one of the reasons why there is a divide (you could argue the actual size) between Jamaicans and other West Indians and why the Black Community in Toronto cannot come together and tackle issues such as Black youth violence, education, etc.

I am blessed to live in Canada where we have repect for people regardless of their sexual orientation and not waste our time protesting or producing songs that promote hatred! I REALLY HOPE TORONTO GETS WORLD PRIDE 2014 AND I REALLY THINK WE WILL!

Yep, prettttty sure this Thread is about World Pride, and nothing about Carribean anything, so considered the above paragraph ignored as it's clearly the marking of a Troll...
Oh, good think you added that part at the end in Caps ;)

BACK onto the TOPIC;
I have to agree with OttoSchloss, as I'm skeptical of the true intent.
Hopefully once more details are available, we'll have an idea as to whether this is actually a Cash Grab (Gov't or Commercial), or an actual event celebrating how lucky us Canadians are to live in the society we do.

Any idea as to when any decisions are expected?

Hmmm...

Pride Toronto has put in a bid to host World Pride 2014, with an international queer human rights conference as the centerpiece of the festival.

Is T.O. Pride going global?
Hosting World Pride and planetary gay rights conference could return Pride to its roots

By Ronak Ghorbani

Pride Toronto has put in a bid to host World Pride 2014, with an international queer human rights conference as the centerpiece of the festival.

“It’s a big deal for us even though it’s a full five years away,” says Mark Singh, the co-chair of Pride Toronto. Singh led the committee that submitted the bid on September 8, and will pitch the idea in full at the InterPride conference in October.

Hosting World Pride and the conference, he says, would trigger significant change around the world for LGBT human rights.

Pride has come under criticism in recent years for losing its activist roots; emphasizing LGBT causes globally might be an answer to that critique.

The organization estimates that 1.3 million people attended this year’s festival and that it generated at least $100 million — the largest tourist draw in the city.

But, according to founding Pride organizer, Gary Kinsman, back when the parade was just starting up, economic spinoffs weren’t the main concern.

“The first Pride march in Toronto was actually held after the 1981 bath raids [where police arrested hundreds of men in gay bathhouses]. It was clearly a political event,” Kinsman says.

Is bringing World Pride to Toronto “going to be used for [fighting] global queer struggles or is this just an opportunity for people to have more queer tourist dollars?’’ he asks.

Earlier this year Xtra published an article declaring Pride Toronto was distancing itself from politics.

The piece referenced a conflict between activist group Queers Against Israeli Apartheid and groups supporting Israeli policies, which resulted in Pride releasing a statement in May, 2009, saying it is a non-partisan group and exists only to put on the parade.

Singh emphasizes the statement declares that the organization has no affiliations to any political entities or causes. This had to be done, he says, because there was immense pressure put on Pride to ban groups talking about Israel. Instead, groups representing both sides of the mideast conflict were allowed to march in the parade.

“If we had [banned either group], in effect, we would’ve taken a political stand on the issue and those are not our issues to talk about. We’ll speak out about issues that are relevant to us. So international human rights is one of those things we said we have a duty to speak out on. But the question of Israel and Palestine and all that kind of stuff, has nothing to do with us,” he says.

In Kinsman’s opinion, however, all global issues should be relevant, especially if Toronto hosts World Pride. He says “it will have to deal with issues including struggles in Palestine and around the world.”

Since 2006, Pride Toronto has had an international grand marshal; somebody from outside of Canada who is in the forefront of LGBT advocacy in their home country. This year’s was Victor Musaka a prominent queer rights activist from Uganda.

The inclusion of global LGBT activists is necessary for Pride says immigration lawyer and founder of queer Muslim group, Salaam, El-Farouk Khaki who was last year’s Pride parade grand marshal.

“I don’t know how you can talk about gay/lesbian issues without talking about human rights,” he says. Especially since the queer community has rapidly diversified. “When you came to the [Toronto] village 15, 20, years ago it was predominately male and predominately white,” Khaki says.

“But now you hear Persian being spoken, Spanish being spoken, you hear reggae beats on Church Street.The auditory environment has grown but not everybody necessarily understands what somebody else is going through or has gone through to get to this place.”

If World Pride does come to Canada, Khaki is hoping that there will be discussions around how class, immigration, HIV and gender all intersect in the queer rights movement.

Pride Toronto hasn’t released many details about their World Pride pitch at the International Association of Lesbians, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex Pride Coordinators world conference next month but one thing’s for sure, the organization has not forgotten about its past.
2014 marks the 45th anniversary of the New York City Stonewall riots, the first uprising against queer-targeted police raids. If Pride Toronto gets to host the World fest, organizers plan to make a wall of remembrance where people can leave pictures and share memories which will be given to Heritage Pride New York once the festival is over.
But even if the pitch gets rebuffed, Pride Toronto will continue to expand its LGBT human rights campaign.

“This is how we’re getting back to our activist roots,” says Singh. “Those elements of our program will continue to grow. [But] I don’t think we’ll be chanting at Queen’s Park. I don’t think we are that organization any more.”

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=171253

InterPride: http://www.interpride.org/

I find this comment by Mr Singh pretty concerning;
"I don’t think we are that organization any more."

I don't know who he's kidding!? There's still major prejudices against Gays & Lesbians in Canada!
For example, check out this article by the LifeSiteNews.com
Toronto Homosexualists Push to Host $10 Million "World Pride" Event in 2014

With ignorance like this within our own Community, I think it IS Toronto Pride's duty to "be that organization"!

I have to say that I find Pride in Toronto to be pretty boring these days. It has become overcrowded, corporate and fairly tame. Maybe this is just me being older or maybe it is just a sign of the greater acceptance of our community such that the subversive, activist and affirmative elements once so important are now fairly non-existant. I found most of the places we could get into after waiting in lines for hours were full of obnoxious and drunk young straight girls and guys acting silly. Friends who were visiting with us found the city-wide level of 'acceptance' and embracing of Pride in Toronto to be truly amazing but also found it all a bit dull in comparison to some smaller town Prides or events like Southern Decadence. We just seemed to be constantly looking for the party...

Toronto wins vote to host World Pride bash

Toronto will host World Pride 2014 after winning a vote in Florida by leaders of gay and lesbian organizations around the globe.

The city's World Pride committee thought they had won after the first vote Sunday, in which Toronto beat Stockholm, 77 votes to 61. The victory eliminated Stockholm but did not reach the two-thirds majority Toronto needed.

"It was a bit of a nail-biting experience," said chair Mark Singh, about the three-hour wait for the results of a second yes-or-no vote for Toronto's bid at the InterPride 2009 Conference in St. Petersburg, Fla.

When it was finally announced that the city won a 78 per cent margin of victory, meaning the festival will take place here, the crowd erupted in cheers, said Singh, who was "delighted" by the win.

"There's so much support and excitement for this," Singh told the Star.

The world event will be hosted simultaneously with Toronto's Pride Week in the summer of 2014. The program for the festival includes a parade of nations as part of the opening ceremony and a human rights conference.

Toronto was represented in Florida by a 10-member delegation, including officials from Pride Toronto, organizers of the annual Pride Week, the Toronto Police Service, Pride Week sponsor TD Bank and Tourism Toronto.

The Toronto bid presentation took place Saturday and included addresses by David Whitaker, President of Tourism Toronto and Toronto Police Services LGBT Liaison Officer Constable Thomas Decker.

The committee was unable to complete the presentation after a request for a one-minute extension was denied by Stockholm.

It is now the second loss for Stockholm, Toronto's main rival for the international political and cultural event, sponsored by gay leaders from around the world, after losing an earlier vote to host World Pride 2012, which London will host.

However, Stockholm's committee was "very gracious," and voted in favour of Toronto's bid after being eliminated, said Singh.

"When it comes down to it, we are still all Pride," said Singh. "Once the competition is over we go back to being friends."

Organizers say Pride Week in Toronto last summer generated $100 million in business. Pride Toronto will need some financial support to put on the 2014 event.

Organizers estimate costs of the event will jump to $10 million, compared to the $4 million spent this year, but that would be more than offset by the injection of tourist dollars into the city.

Organizers also anticipate more funding from government and community sponsors, said Singh, adding that the victory may also mean more infrastructure investments into the areas that are very gay-friendly, such as Church-Wellesley.

The provincial government provided $350,000 for this year's festivities, and Premier Dalton McGuinty has already provided a letter of support for the 2014 bid.

Toronto Pride bidders say the world event could draw an extra quarter-million people.

With files from Thandiwe Vela

Source

Finally, we won something! YAY!!! lol Maybe the Pan-Am Games are next. I hope World Pride will be something a little different than our regular Pride.

This is great news! I'm going to be ancient (32) by that time it comes but who cares.!

OMG, i hope you're joking.
so at 27, i guess you're considered middle age by gay standards ?

watch out for the BIG 3-0 and first sign of crow's feet.
if you haven't found your life partner by then, you might as well throw yourself off the Bloor viaduct ... :rolleyes:

OMG, i hope you're joking.
so at 27, i guess you're considered middle age by gay standards ?

watch out for the BIG 3-0 and first sign of crow's feet.
if you haven't found your life partner by then, you might as well throw yourself off the Bloor viaduct ... :rolleyes:

Or become a total man-whore! :p

Back