News   Jul 15, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 336     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Pretty much the last gasp for TTC type & tile preservation

I have spacing buttons too. But it's more about my local station than about its tiles on the button. They're a clever reference to a pretty common touchstone - not an endorsement of preserving anything specific. It's a place-connection rather than a style-connection. We've touched on this before.

There's nothing wrong with "Lookit me! I'm a Heritage Subway Station!" it's not nearly as anachronistic as "Lookit me! I'm a Heritage Subway System!"

I realize the concept is hard to swallow - especially in light of the catastrophe unfolding at museum. But consider, the TTC will regain sanity one day, and might be capable of captivating station design again.

I really don't agree with sticking to a uniform approach for station design. I think it's a great opportunity for variation, localization, and even interpretation, that shouldn't be passed up. I think the branding uniformity should come from secondary design elements; signage, way finding, etc.

The idea of stations as utilitarian portals, that should be visually uniform throughout, isn't unique to us, so I'm not sure it's a quality that should be so zealously guarded. Instead, I think it's an opportunity to break from the pack and try something new (like Sweden?).

Personally I really don't like the idea of meddling with historic stations. Make the new subway stations (i.e. Spadina extension to VCC) as exotic and dramatic and creative as you want, but leave the original stations alone.

For the most part, I agree, but some of the existing stations are absolutely wretched. Union is at the top of that list. Not too wild about Dundas, either. Incidentally, both of those stations have pretty much none of their original features left.

Yeah Union is pretty awful now that you mention it. But its getting something of a makeover already anyway.

Dundas should have the highest priority amongst TTC subway stations in getting a makeover, for obvious reasons. The TTC could think about making the station look more appealing as a gateway to the Eaton Centre, TLS, Dundas Square and Ryerson...

... or it could replace the ugly yellow tiles with cheap steel structures and exposed ductwork, and claim that it's trying to fit the station with the architecture of TLS.

There's nothing wrong with "Lookit me! I'm a Heritage Subway Station!" it's not nearly as anachronistic as "Lookit me! I'm a Heritage Subway System!"
Well, let me polevault over that and object to the concept of "Lookit me! I'm Heritage!". Which is why I'd rather advocate a holistically big-bracket and paradoxically "anti-heritage" approach to the "heritage matter"--that is, as a response to the popular upholding of so-called "heritage" being all too often the sappy and insipid foil to the popular upholding of so-called "captivating station design" as a panacea to all ills.

In the end, this self-conscious urge for "captivating station design" can be framed as nothing more than a pandering to poor Sunday-painter-urbanist saps who still have a bone to pick with the Bauhaus...

Well, let me polevault over that and object to the concept of "Lookit me! I'm Heritage!". Which is why I'd rather advocate a holistically big-bracket and paradoxically "anti-heritage" approach to the "heritage matter"--that is, as a response to the popular upholding of so-called "heritage" being all too often the sappy and insipid foil to the popular upholding of so-called "captivating station design" as a panacea to all ills.

Doing nothing doesn't seem to be an option. Is there something we can act on in your suggestion? Is there something more to it than "just change your mindspace?"

In the end, this self-conscious urge for "captivating station design" can be framed as nothing more than a pandering to poor Sunday-painter-urbanist saps who still have a bone to pick with the Bauhaus...

Rather than pandering to nattering nabobs of negativity?

I don't think anyone has a bone to pick with the Bauhaus - but there's definitely a realization that it's a movement, just like any other. There's nothing end-all-be-all to it, though it's often phrased to seem that way. Heck, 'Modern' isn't even particularly modern any more.

I don't think anyone has a bone to pick with the Bauhaus - but there's definitely a realization that 'Modern' isn't even particularly modern any more. There's nothing end-all-be-all to it, though it's often phrased to seem that way. Heck, 'Modern' isn't even particularly modern any more.

But couldn't you say that about any style or period? In which case, why bother with any efforts to recognize or preserve or "leave well enough alone"? By using that rationalization to "diminish" (or whatever) the Bauhaus, you might as well be "diminishing" Georgian, High Victorian, or whatever else as well.

That is, unless "there's nothing end-all-be-all to it" is meant to be specific stylistic criticism. But if that's truly the case, and "'Modern' isn't even particularly modern any more", then why is there greater high-minded urge out there to creatively recognize, revere, and cherish ye olde bathroome tile today than a generation ago? So-called dated, barren obsolescence isn't usually the beneficiary of rising cultural-recognition stock, you know--if anything, said stock bottomed out 20 years ago (the height of PoMo, y'know), and it's been rising ever since...

Toronto Subway Font

If anyone wants a copy (regular and bold), please PM me.

---

Mod: The new rules state that one must have at least 25 posts to start a thread, unless permission is obtained. Also, this post looks like a solictiation. Please be mindful of the rules.

It would be nice if they put in bathrooms at all of the stations. As long as they kept them clean that is.

The problem is that they're trying to emulate all the cities that are building new subway stations without actually building any. They're trying to make their mark on the system without actually making everything new.

The way I see it is that the stations already are art. They already reflect the neighbourhoods around them because they've been part of those neighbourhoods for decades. The people who've lived and worked there since they were opened have walked by, touched, the same tiles.

Spadina is one of my favourite stations - not because it's pretty (although the circular tile thing is beautiful), but because you can see the history in front of you. I don't really know how to describe it. Plus the tunnel, although inconvenient, makes it quirky and unique.

At least Lower Bay will always be there as a testament to what the B-D line looked like when it opened. Look at how many people flock to see it when it opens - some people must find that kind of design appealing. Unfortunately it may take the loss of our heritage to get people to realize what we used to have.

I think most of the stations are beautiful today. Of course this is coming from the guy who thinks the GO concourse at Union is a work of visual masterpiece simply for the fact that it is completely disgusting.

Point is - let the neighbourhoods speak for themselves. Clean up the stations, maybe put up a plaque or two that talk about the station's history with pictures from way back when or something.

It would be nice if they put in bathrooms at all of the stations. As long as they kept them clean that is.

And the smartass response is: sure. Dig out a trench at the bottom of the walls, insert some drains, and presto, instant Mexican-style urinal--the aesthetics suit it;)

Back