News   Sep 26, 2024
 390     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 946     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 618     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Good (I think) opinion piece André Picard in the Globe and Mail on the forced closure of Harm-Reduction sites.

"Closing supervised consumption sites is politically savvy because they have become an easy scapegoat.

But it is doubtful that the latest moves will make a significant impact on the overlapping crises that are battering cities and towns both big and small: Toxic drugs, untreated mental illness, homelessness and the public disorder that flows from these social policy failures."

Edit to add quote

Good (I think) opinion piece André Picard in the Globe and Mail on the forced closure of Harm-Reduction sites.

"Closing supervised consumption sites is politically savvy because they have become an easy scapegoat.

But it is doubtful that the latest moves will make a significant impact on the overlapping crises that are battering cities and towns both big and small: Toxic drugs, untreated mental illness, homelessness and the public disorder that flows from these social policy failures."

Edit to add quote

As someone who previously worked at Dundas and Jarvis near The Works (TPH safe injection site on Victoria) and now at Greenwood and Danforth (near several withdrawal clinics and injection sites) I can see the benefits.

When I worked at 251 Jarvis years ago, we had addicts shooting up in our lobby daily. We had someone OD on heroin inside our main entrance.

Walking down Dundas was a dangerous proposition because all the junkies were hanging out near the injection site waiting to get their fix.

At Greenwood and Danforth it's not so bad but the area still has a few interesting characters when you walk down Danforth.

Getting rid of these sites seems like a bad thing but once you've experienced the situation locally it's really not.

I agree, there needs to be better and additional supports if they close but we both know Ford won't do that.

What's really need is OHIP funded rehab facilities. Addicts on OW, ODSP, etc should have their assistance contingent on attendance at and successful completion of rehab. It should also be made contingent on remaining clean and sober as confirmed by random drug testing.

I doubt that closing these sites makes any difference in the number of people using drugs on the streets. If anything, it increases the number of people how use lobbies, parking garages, playgrounds and back alleys. I think the Moss Park facility did reduce that type of activity happening out in the open in the area, other than right around it.

I don't see a problem with having a separation distance from schools, though in downtown Toronto, there probably aren't that many circles with a 400 metre diameter that don't touch on a school or childcare facility. The reality is that as long as people are doing drugs, people will see it, and there's no plan in place or even being discussed to reduce addiction/homelessness.

The reality is that as long as people are doing drugs, people will see it, and there's no plan to reduce addiction...
I sometimes wonder if the the increase in fentanyl deaths will exceed the growth rate in addicts. A net negative growth rate, so to speak.

This would be very bad news for foreign and domestic narcotic manufacturers, shippers and distributors.

Last edited:
According to the Policorner blog, former Toronto councillor and mayoral candidate Ana Bailao has been courted by the Ontario Liberals to run in the next election, potentially against Marit Stiles in Davenport.

According to the Policorner blog, former Toronto councillor and mayoral candidate Ana Bailao has been courted by the Ontario Liberals to run in the next election, potentially against Marit Stiles in Davenport.

I don't think Ana Bailao will do very well.

She's got an inflated sense of name recognition which is what cost her during her mayoral run

She will not run in Davenport. I don't see it anyway.

It wouldn't be her strongest riding even if she wouldn't be fighting Stiles. But she would, and for obvious political reasons, and maybe less obvious ones (Stiles and Bailao are friendly), she will run elsewhere, if the Libs land her as candidate.

I don't think Ana Bailao will do very well.

She's got an inflated sense of name recognition which is what cost her during her mayoral run

Bailao finished a close second to Chow, I think she would be a credible candidate in many ridings, however, as noted above, I don't think she will contest Davenport. Of course, watch me be wrong, stranger things have happened.

Toronto Centre could flip back to the Liberals easily if their popularity increases again. It was Liberal from the day it was created until the Liberal implosion in 2018.

Of course, that's mostly true of Davenport as well.

Toronto Centre could flip back to the Liberals easily if their popularity increases again. It was Liberal from the day it was created until the Liberal implosion in 2018.

Of course, that's mostly true of Davenport as well.
Keep in mind that today's TC lacks the NDP-black-hole Rosedale parts it had pre-'18--which was a big reason why it kept going Liberal. And in general when it comes to the Libs, it's simply because they were, post-Rae-implosion, the "left" default wherever the NDP didn't have a head start. So to judge Davenport by the pre-Marit electoral record can be misleading (and it may be argued that early on, it was more a Tony Ruprecht riding than a Lib riding).

Ford and PC party with 13 point lead over Liberals:

Dumb, and dumber, and dumber. Through in a touch of corruption, and presto - 3 terms ! Is this what becomes of an electorate in these times ?

Dumb, and dumber, and dumber. Through in a touch of corruption, and presto - 3 terms ! Is this what becomes of an electorate in these times ?
When you toss in several years of taxpayer funded election campaign advertising exclusively for the OPC with restrictions on every other party, it would appear so.

I think we need to back away from that (bolded), just a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a supporter of the current government, and my faith in the citizenry on mass, is not as great as I would like........but....

1) The poll actually shows the majority of the electorate prefer parties other than the Ford PCs. It is the nature of the electoral system we have, (First Past the Post), that a share of the popular vote that is well shy of 50% may turn out to deliver nearly 100% of the power.

2) While the PCs have blundered along, major scandals (Greenbelt) aside, most of their shortcomings are policy questions, and under investment in certain things (schools, healthcare), along with anemic social assistance rates. Those are not good things, but by and large they aren't things that move the electorate in a large way. They (the gov't) have also been adept at doing things that may or may not be a good use of $$ or the highest priority, but are broadly quite popular. Its not just the elimination of license plate fees, its eliminating the need to do anything to renew your plate, unless its held up due to outstanding tickets/tolls; its also the booze rollout, which is simply something the majority of the electorate have supported since they voted for David Peterson on a platform of beer in corner stores in the 1980s, and for whatever reason, successive governments of 3 different political stripes failed to roll out that popular idea. These sorts of things, absent big scandals that resonate, leave the government better off in the polls than they deserve to be.

3) Have you seen a Bonnie Crombie commercial for the Liberals? One for Marit Stiles and the NDP? So far, both parties are keeping a lid on spending, and both leaders have a comparatively low profile. While both parties have some probable platform items......just try naming three that you're sure about. I'd be surprised if you could. That's going to cause the Libs and Dippers to under perform in polls because there isn't a single thing they are associated with in terms of a big 'change' idea.

For the above reasons, I wouldn't throw the electorate under the bus just yet. I'll also cut the opposition parties some slack in that they want to save money for a provincial election that may yet be 2 years away. But I think they would be well served to try and build some positive momentum sooner, rather than later, given the real possibility of an early election call.

Last note, those poll numbers are quite deceptive at the provincial scale. You have to remember the Conservatives tend to capture 60% or more of the vote in many rural ridings in eastern and central Ontario, and some parts of the South-West as well.

The real key is what the numbers look like in Toronto, the 905, Ottawa and the urban centres elsewhere (London, Windsor, Kingston, T-Bay etc.)

The poll is accurate enough (so far as one can tell) that PCs are indeed in majority territory; but the numbers are not some wide yawning lead in most ridings that matter. With a few exceptions, their lead is under 10 points. Nothing that can't change in the space of a six-week campaign.

Last edited:
I think we need to back away from that (bolded), just a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a supporter of the current government, and my faith in the citizenry on mass, is not as great as I would like........but....

1) The poll actually shows the majority of the electorate prefer parties other than the Ford PCs. It is the nature of the electoral system we have, (First Past the Post), that a share of the popular vote that is well shy of 50% may turn out to deliver nearly 100% of the power.

2) While the PCs have blundered along, major scandals (Greenbelt) aside, most of their shortcomings are policy questions, and under investment in certain things (schools, healthcare), along with anemic social assistance rates. Those are not good things, but by and large they aren't things that move the electorate in a large way. They (the gov't) have also been adept at doing things that may or may not be a good use of $$ or the highest priority, but are broadly quite popular. Its not just the elimination of license plate fees, its eliminating the need to do anything to renew your plate, unless its held up due to outstanding tickets/tolls; its also the booze rollout, which is simply something the majority of the electorate have supported since they voted for David Peterson on a platform of beer in corner stores in the 1980s, and for whatever reason, successive governments of 3 different political stripes failed to roll out that popular idea. These sorts of things, absent big scandals that resonate, leave the government better off in the polls than they deserve to be.

3) Have you seen a Bonnie Crombie commercial for the Liberals? One for Marit Stiles and the NDP? So far, both parties are keeping a lid on spending, and both leaders have a comparatively low profile. While both parties have some probable platform items......just try naming three that you're sure about. I'd be surprised if you could. That's going to cause the Libs and Dippers to under perform in polls because there isn't a single thing they are associated with in terms of a big 'change' idea.

For the above reasons, I wouldn't throw the electorate under the bus just yet. I'll also cut the opposition parties some slack in that they want to save money for a provincial election that may yet be 2 years away. But I think they would be well served to try and build some positive momentum sooner, rather than later, given the real possibility of an early election call.

Last note, those poll numbers are quite deceptive at the provincial scale. You have to remember the Conservatives tend to capture 60% or more of the vote in many rural ridings in eastern and central Ontario, and some parts of the South-West as well.

The real key is what the numbers look like in Toronto, the 905, Ottawa and the urban centres elsewhere (London, Windsor, Kingston, T-Bay etc.)

The poll is accurate enough (so far as one can tell) that PCs are indeed in majority territory; but the numbers are not some wide yawning lead in most ridings that matter. With a few exceptions, their lead is under 10 points. Nothing that can't change in the space of a six-week campaign.
Good points made, as usual Northern Light. Personally, I hope that people truly unimpressed with Ford vote in higher numbers than the last election . I don't know if Ford supporters vote in higher numbers, but either way, the the electorate needs to step up.
If there were a much better voter turnout, Ford could still win a majority government and then, this outcome rests on the opposition parties, I think.

Back