News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

From the Elections Ontario website at this link:

Registered Electors on List: 9,888,888
Voter Turnout: 58.00%
Progressive Conservative Number of Votes: 2,322,422
Percentage of Votes: 40.49%
Therefore, 58% times 40.49% equals 23.48% of the people were "for the PC's".
(1-58%) = 42% were happy with what the remaining voters decide.
Thus, PC support was 42+ +23.48% = 65.5%.

Canada already has a pretty educated (in terms of years of schooling) populace relative to many countries. There also needs to be more high-skill work in the country created for people to do. To avoid the "overqualified young person or recent graduate working low wage jobs" problem.

Yes, agreed. BUT I would suggest that that is created by productivity. You get better jobs when employers can't find cheap labour.

Ford government removes its first OHIP component in an announcement today. Young children-young adults will no longer be covered if they have private insurance. Those who have no additional coverage will still be covered. Heard they are going to partner with Insurance Co's to police this new rule. Up next is privatization of OHIP as I am sure Insurance companies will want a bigger slice of the 'sick' pie.

You cannot extrapolate that because people didn't vote, they were happy with what the remaining voters decided.

There's some kind of narrative that Ford won because left-leaning people didn't like the choices and were apathetic similar to the "Trump won because left wing voters, especially those who would have liked Bernie Sanders, stayed home and were unmotivated to go and vote for Hillary" but I'm not sure how accurate or similar that analogy is.

There's some kind of narrative that Ford won because left-leaning people didn't like the choices and were apathetic similar to the "Trump won because left wing voters, especially those who would have liked Bernie Sanders, stayed home and were unmotivated to go and vote for Hillary" but I'm not sure how accurate or similar that analogy is.
Every PC voter I’ve talked to gave some variation of “best of a bad lot” and “couldn’t vote for Wynne”.

And my PC voting friends voted strategically. Not one admitted to voting for Ford and were in fact quite vocal about it.

I think the election shifted once the Liberals started attacking the NDP instead of just the PCs. The NDPs had the momentum for a surprise win at that point.

I think the election shifted once the Liberals started attacking the NDP instead of just the PCs. The NDPs had the momentum for a surprise win at that point.
Ford also picked up on this.
At the final debate, and from there on, he started to pose the question - "imagine the NDP in power". Ford also started to focus on the PC team instead of himself. He had Elliot and Mulroney at a number of rallies, even far from their ridings.

Ford won because in spite of misgivings about his character, that was less important than the certain economic shitshow the NDP would bring. People voted for economic stability over fantasy promises. Even more fantastic than the unicorns, health and education enhancements promised by the now (previous) government.

Last edited:

Back