News   May 06, 2024
 240     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 711     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

How BurlOak hasn’t been turfed yet is beyond me.

Absolutely no need for that.

In fact, I'd like @steveintoronto back whilst we're at it.

@BurlOak can say whatever they want, I just wish it made sense more often. :p

Speaking of which, you know who's overpaid? EVERY CEO OF A COMPANY WITH MORE THAN 10 EMPLOYEES.
ACTORS.
ATHLETES.
Sorry, you know what....ALL executives at the aforementioned companies.
Union bosses.
Some unionised workers.
App developers.
Scratch that.....all office workers except housekeeping staff and security.

There ya go, BurlyOak (that's a better name innit)!

As part of a modest healthcare infrastructure annoucement in Niagara..........the ministry also announced.

Along with public funding, philanthropic donations are a key way that hospital foundations in Ontario, across Canada, and around the world secure the necessary capital to fund major upgrades and development. To help hospitals secure the funding needed to meaningfully improve the patient experience, and in addition to the $27 billion Ontario will invest over the next 10 years, the government is updating the hospital naming directive so that hospitals in Ontario are no longer required to obtain approval from the Minister of Health prior to adopting new corporate or business names. This change recognizes that named recognition meaningfully motivates philanthropy and will facilitate increased donations to hospital foundations for major upgrades and development.

This is a move to repeal the directive put in by Eric Hoskins who was irked when East General re-named the entire hospital Michael Garron., arguing that aside from poor precedent, it was potentially confusing to patients/ambulances etc.

There was never any restriction on naming wings/buildings/lobbies etc.

I thought it was a reasonable regulation; I suspect its repeal will change very little.

The Ford Fallout: “I teach history to 36 students in a room built for 30”

Terry Maguire, of Parkdale Collegiate, on the effects of the cutbacks. Part 3 in our series

BY TORONTO LIFE | DECEMBER 18, 2019

The Ford Fallout: “We discovered a way to grow skin for burn victims. Now our research is in jeopardy”

Marc Jeschke, a surgeon and director of the Ross Tilley Burn Centre at Sunnybrook, on the provincial funding cuts. Part 4 in our series

BY TORONTO LIFE | DECEMBER 18, 2019

At least with "Toronto East" we knew it was in Toronto and in the east end. Where in the world is "Michael Garron"?

Nowhere. Dude's dead, apparently.

Yeah, this is the exact type of self aggrandising and flashy philanthropy that Jesus spoke out against in the Bible.
I remember this clearly from my school days.
I'm with Jesus on this one.

Yeah, this is the exact type of self aggrandising and flashy philanthropy that Jesus spoke out against in the Bible.
I remember this clearly from my school days.
I'm with Jesus on this one.
Well, as one wise man said to another: "Nobody f**ks with the Jesus!"

The "dude" was a child who died of cancer; so perhaps less comedy? His very rich parents spent a lot of time at the hospital while he was in its care, and have donated a lot of money to (obviously) TEGH as well as St. Joe's and Sick Kids in his name. I don't necessarily agree that the hospital should've been renamed after him however, but any money put into health care in this province is a net positive. And I believe that the Garron family donations come from an honest place and not a need to see their name on something.

Regardless, it is a shining example of the issues with healthcare funding in the province and charitable donation tax credits.

My wife had a procedure at MGH last week. The promotional screens in the waiting rooms tout how MGH has been consistently run an operating budget surplus for 8 years. As if that should matter when your primary goals are to save lives and protect health. It matters to provincial bean counters though. That's not to say there aren't room for efficiencies, etc. But the people whose lives are in the hands of the hospitals probably don't want to know you were able to cheap out on some things enough to have a budget surplus and please the politicians who simultaneously claim our health system doesn't have enough money, but don't want risk jumping on the political hand grenade of raising taxes to invest in it.

Because of healthcare underfunding, things like capital expenditures are reliant on fundraising and big donations like the $50m the Garrons gave. It's not like this influx of money suddenly came with a list of new ideas of how to upgrade and modernize the building. It was all on a wishlist that they couldn't afford, nor depend on funding from the province. And instead of $50m being spread around the province to the areas most in need (like rural communities), it all gets spent on one hospital who probably could've made out pretty damn well with a half of that number. Yet again, we end up with the situation of another rich person buys their family name on public property and gets part of it back anyway as a tax credit, meaning potentially less tax revenue and less money to pump back into the system.

Yay?

The naming of public property should be done based on deeds and cultural importance; not how much money was spent on something. Charitable donations shouldn't beget a tax credit—or say, a max of $500/yr—because charity should come from an honest place and not be an arms race in the "how rich am I" game the 1%ers play (I'm looking at you, Weston family). And finally, honest large sum donations like the Garrons have made should be put back into the system in its entirety, not focused on individual locations. Because ultimately, the most populous places will see the biggest donations, and rural communities get left behind and have their hospitals shuttered.

Last edited:
As part of a modest healthcare infrastructure annoucement in Niagara..........the ministry also announced.

Along with public funding, philanthropic donations are a key way that hospital foundations in Ontario, across Canada, and around the world secure the necessary capital to fund major upgrades and development. To help hospitals secure the funding needed to meaningfully improve the patient experience, and in addition to the $27 billion Ontario will invest over the next 10 years, the government is updating the hospital naming directive so that hospitals in Ontario are no longer required to obtain approval from the Minister of Health prior to adopting new corporate or business names. This change recognizes that named recognition meaningfully motivates philanthropy and will facilitate increased donations to hospital foundations for major upgrades and development.

This is a move to repeal the directive put in by Eric Hoskins who was irked when East General re-named the entire hospital Michael Garron., arguing that aside from poor precedent, it was potentially confusing to patients/ambulances etc.

There was never any restriction on naming wings/buildings/lobbies etc.

I thought it was a reasonable regulation; I suspect its repeal will change very little.

Beaverton piece coming up - Ford government announces new philanthropic initiative - naming rights are now allowed for Ministers and Ministries. Government spokesperson noted that it formalizes a common practice and helps to meaningfully motivate donorship, and will facilitate increased donations to those in power.

AoD

Beaverton piece coming up - Ford government announces new philanthropic initiative - naming rights are now allowed for Ministers and Ministries. Government spokesperson noted that it formalizes a common practice and helps to meaningfully motivate donorship, and will facilitate increased donations to those in power.

AoD

The Lecce Department of Labour Relations? The Mulroney Transportation Commission?

Back