News   Apr 24, 2024
 982     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 629     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Provincial inspectors missing unsafe trucks on Ontario roads: Auditor

Unsafe commercial vehicles are all over Ontario's highways due to shortcomings in the transportation ministry's inspection programs, the province's auditor general reported Wednesday.

Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk revealed that the ministry had not inspected any commercial vehicles belonging to more than half of Ontario's 60,000 road transportation companies over the past two years.

The number of roadside inspections in Ontario dropped 22 per cent from 2014 to 2018, according to the auditor's report, even though the number of large trucks was on the rise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/unsafe-trucks-ontario-1.5383994

Provincial inspectors missing unsafe trucks on Ontario roads: Auditor

Unsafe commercial vehicles are all over Ontario's highways due to shortcomings in the transportation ministry's inspection programs, the province's auditor general reported Wednesday.

Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk revealed that the ministry had not inspected any commercial vehicles belonging to more than half of Ontario's 60,000 road transportation companies over the past two years.

The number of roadside inspections in Ontario dropped 22 per cent from 2014 to 2018, according to the auditor's report, even though the number of large trucks was on the rise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/unsafe-trucks-ontario-1.5383994
Good for the auditor. As our highways become more congested the very last thing we need is unsafe commercial vehicles, especially the large trucks. I don't know if there is an enforced speed limit for large trucks on our 400 series highways. I've spent a lot of time on these highways and have been passed many times by speeding large trucks, sometimes in very inclement weather.

Good for the auditor. As our highways become more congested the very last thing we need is unsafe commercial vehicles, especially the large trucks. I don't know if there is an enforced speed limit for large trucks on our 400 series highways. I've spent a lot of time on these highways and have been passed many times by speeding large trucks, sometimes in very inclement weather.

They have speed limiters on them that prevent them from going over 105kph

They have speed limiters on them that prevent them from going over 105kph

From link.

Truck speed limiters

By law, most large trucks driven in Ontario and Quebec are required to use electronic speed limiters that cap their speed at 105 km/h. This applies to commercial motor vehicles tha
  • were built after December 31, 1994
  • are equipped with an electronic control module
    AND
  • have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 kg or more.
Exemptions apply only to a limited number of vehicle types, such as ambulances or fire trucks.

Commercial Vehicle Operator's Safety Manual, Module 5 – Ontario-Specific Enforcement Issues

How they are operated is primarily a police responsibility; how they are regulated, in terms of things like safety inspections, equipment, weight, licencing, etc. should be primarily a MTO responsibility, but they have largely dropped the ball. There are obviously shared grounds in terms of public safety (police) and regulatory compliance (MTO) because of the potential devastating potential for an overweight truck, worn components, fatigued driver, etc. The media often reports on a police-led 'truck safety inspection' but they are only filling a void that the MTO has left. Some inspection stations on major freeways are almost never open. I uaed to live in gravel country up on the Oak Ridges Morraine and don't think I ever saw a MTO carrier enforcement cruiser on the major haul routes. I would support the OPP absorbing the MTO carrier enforcement responsibility similar to the State Police in most US states.

Back