News   Apr 19, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 546     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 913     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I am not a fan of Ontario reds, particularly the Cab Sauvs. I recently visited some of the smaller wineries and had some very enjoyable reds, which showed great improvement over previous years. But no, they aren't the amazing full bodied wine that comes from warmer, drier climes than ours. And they were indeed way over priced ($70, I don't think so).

I'm not a fan of whites, but Ontario does produce some enjoyable whites -- great in this hot weather with some tasty cheese.

Ice wine and blue cheese as a app -- it's pretty damned amazing.

I doubt that Doug is much of a wine connoisseur and wouldn't know a Riesling from a Bordeaux, but he'll happily take some guy's cheque and then tell people to go buy his product because that's how he rolls.

Your palate is so thoughtful......................

:)

I basically agree w/you, except to say I do enjoy some medium-bodied reds, like a nice Pinot Noir now and again.........Ontario also makes the odd really nice Baco Noir; though some are downright awful, but that's true of Bacos the world over.

Both of these tend to bring a forward Cherry-note, that I really enjoy w/a pasta w/a morel cream sauce; or a decadent meal-version of a Caesar Salad.

So Thug's willing to act as a shill for the sake of a crummy $1000.00? That's an insultingly low amount of money for a man who's ostensibly in charge of the local government. It really underlines his being such a small-time shit artist. And a rube and a hick.

Maybe not, but he can be rented out by the hour...

NEW: Following the #BoycottPeleeWinery dust up this week, Queen’s Park Today has uncovered four other companies featured in Ontario News Now promo videos whose owners or founders are large Ontario PC Party donors.

“As the Premier has always said, no one can buy Doug Ford,” Ford’s press secretary Ivana Yelich reiterated in an email to Queen’s Park Today.

https://www.queensparktoday.ca/onta...ral-companies-whose-execs-donated-to-pc-party

Last edited:
Maybe not, but he can be rented out by the hour...

NEW: Following the #BoycottPeleeWinery dust up this week, Queen’s Park Today has uncovered four other companies featured in Ontario News Now promo videos whose owners or founders are large Ontario PC Party donors.

“As the Premier has always said, no one can buy Doug Ford,” Ford’s press secretary Ivana Yelich reiterated in an email to Queen’s Park Today.

https://www.queensparktoday.ca/onta...ral-companies-whose-execs-donated-to-pc-party

Why would anyone buy him when you can give him away with a $500 refund?

AoD

Ottawa is finally challenging Queen’s Park on out-of-country medical costs

From link.

It took a while. But Canada’s Liberal government has finally challenged Premier Doug Ford’s patently illegal plan to cancel emergency medicare coverage for Ontarians travelling abroad.

Federal Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor started the ball rolling last week by officially issuing what, under the Canada Health Act, is called a “notice of concern” to Christine Elliot, her provincial counterpart in Ford’s Progressive Conservative government.

Petitpas Taylor said she was “concerned” by the Ford government’s abrupt decision in April to cancel the province’s out-of-country travellers program, which provides some OHIP coverage to Ontarians who suffer medical emergencies while temporarily journeying outside Canada.

The federal health minister noted correctly that the Ontario government’s decision, which is due to take effect Oct. 1, was “inconsistent” with the Canada Health Act, the law governing medicare. That law sets out the criteria that provinces must meet to be eligible for federal medicare funding.
One criterion is portability — the requirement that provincial medicare plans cover residents who are temporarily travelling elsewhere in Canada or abroad.

The law says that provincial plans must reimburse those who require emergency medical care outside Canada “on the basis of the amount that would have been paid by the province for similar services rendered in the province.”

Simply put, that means if you break your leg travelling abroad you may not be reimbursed by your provincial medicare plan for all of your medical costs. But you should be reimbursed for what it would have cost to get the leg fixed at home.

As Petitpas Taylor notes, if Ontario abandons out-of-country coverage, it would be the first province to do so.

Ontario’s case for contravening the Canada Health Act does not stand up to scrutiny. First, the province argues that OHIP’s out-of-country payments are so puny as to be virtually worthless.

Indeed, given that they haven’t changed in 20 years, they are puny. An Ontarian injured abroad will be reimbursed by OHIP at the rate of $200 a day for in-patient hospital care ($400 for intensive care), $210 a day for renal dialysis and $50 a day for outpatient care. None of that will get him or her very far — particularly in the high-cost U.S. health system

But the answer is not to kill the out-of-country program. Rather it is to ensure that rates paid by that program better reflect, as the Canada Health Act demands, the real cost of medical care in Ontario.

What is the real cost of medical care delivered in Ontario? The answer is not simple. But we can get some idea by looking at what hospitals in this province charge non-residents who are not covered by Canadian medicare.

Ottawa’s Queensway Carleton Hospital, for instance, posts its fees online. It charges $930 to a non-resident visiting its emergency department and $3,495 more if day surgery is required. Physicians’ fees are on top of this as are lab tests, x-rays and scans.

The hospital charges non-residents $2,990 a day for a bed in a ward and $6,000 a day for one in its intensive care unit.

These costs don’t match exorbitant U.S. levels. But they are closer to reality than the pittances provided for by Ontario’s out-of country program.

Ontario’s second defence for its decision to scrap out-of-country coverage is that at $2.8 million a year the cost of administering a program that provides only $9 million in benefits is too high.

I’m not sure why this matters so much for a government that spends more than $160 billion annually, but it too is a backward argument. If the current out-of-country payment system were more realistic, it would provide far more than $9 million in benefits at roughly the same administrative cost.

Where does this brewing federal-provincial conflict go? Petitpas Taylor has 90 days to issue a report. After that report is filed, the federal cabinet has the authority to financially penalize Ontario for failing to live up to its Canada Health Act obligations.

All of this takes place smack dab in the middle of the federal election campaign. Will Justin Trudeau’s Liberals run on a promise to protect medicare from the depredations of Conservatives like Ford? They’ve done it before

"Ontario’s case for contravening the Canada Health Act does not stand up to scrutiny. First, the province argues that OHIP’s out-of-country payments are so puny as to be virtually worthless.

Indeed, given that they haven’t changed in 20 years, they are puny. An Ontarian injured abroad will be reimbursed by OHIP at the rate of $200 a day for in-patient hospital care ($400 for intensive care), $210 a day for renal dialysis and $50 a day for outpatient care. None of that will get him or her very far — particularly in the high-cost U.S. health system."

Maybe it is time that after 20 years, the reimbursement amounts should be adjusted, at minimum adjusted for inflation. At best, the basic ward rates.

Hmmmm

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is starting to make changes to his inner circle, with a former aide to his late brother becoming principal secretary as more staff announce they are leaving for the private sector.

The Globe and Mail has learned that Amin Massoudi, a former communications director to late Toronto mayor Rob Ford, has been named as a senior aide to the Premier as he enters his second year in government.

“We’re excited to announce Amin Massoudi has assumed the role of principal secretary to the Premier. His leadership in the Premier’s Office has played a critical role in advancing our government’s goal of improving quality of government services and making life more affordable for individuals and families in Ontario," the Premier’s Office said in a statement to The Globe.

Mr. Ford has not yet hired a permanent chief of staff after Dean French resigned amid a patronage scandal in June. But interim chief of staff Jamie Wallace, a former Toronto Sun newspaper executive who joined the Premier’s Office in January, is considered the top contender for the post.

From G&M : https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ate-brother-named-ontario-premiers-principal/

^ I don't support public funds covering out-of country travel (out-of-province, yes). Out-Can travel is either discretionary; i.e. vacation, or employment-related and should be covered by either the traveller or the employer. Why should the taxpayer cover an expense that sh/she has no control over. Anybody that travels abroad without meaningful medical insurance is truly rolling the dice.

You still need medical insurance because this is a drop in the bucket, but those people travelling are taxpayers too. I actually didn’t even know this existed until it was cut. And whether you agree with it or not, it is covered in the Canada Health Act, so until that changes, it should remain in place.

So Thug's willing to act as a shill for the sake of a crummy $1000.00? That's an insultingly low amount of money for a man who's ostensibly in charge of the local government. It really underlines his being such a small-time shit artist. And a rube and a hick.

I actually feel *sort of* sorry for this whole situation...mostly because I like the idea of Pelee Island.

You still need medical insurance because this is a drop in the bucket, but those people travelling are taxpayers too. I actually didn’t even know this existed until it was cut. And whether you agree with it or not, it is covered in the Canada Health Act, so until that changes, it should remain in place.
This sounds like one of those programs that is useless (because the coverage is inadequate) and misleading (some may actually think they are covered) and likely the bureaucratic costs are relatively high.
It reminds me of the GST rebates that some foreigners could claim when leaving Canada. Very few did it, the bureaucratic costs were high, and it didn't make sense (those foreigners benefited from Canadian services such as police protection, parks, roads, etc. so why give them a rebate on their taxes).

The coverage is available for things that your medical insurance doesn't cover -- like the deductible, or like a boot cast (a friend broke a leg in the US and while the required surgery and hospital stay was covered, the boot wasn't even though the doctor recommended it.) You want to see bureaucracy? Try getting a straight answer on whether you should stay where you are or be medivac'd back.

Don't like it? Lobby for changes to the Canada Health Act, don't just contravene the Act.

The coverage is available for things that your medical insurance doesn't cover -- like the deductible, or like a boot cast (a friend broke a leg in the US and while the required surgery and hospital stay was covered, the boot wasn't even though the doctor recommended it.) You want to see bureaucracy? Try getting a straight answer on whether you should stay where you are or be medivac'd back.

Don't like it? Lobby for changes to the Canada Health Act, don't just contravene the Act.

Would have asked to see the bureaucrat's medical license for that medical decision.

Location got solved once it was elevated to someone with a medical degree. The boot remained uncovered, but a claim was made through the OHIP out of country coverage.

Yes, I forgot about the CHA implication (I wasn't aware of the coverage either). One of the arguments I read was that the cost to administer the program was more than the benefits provided (given that, as your correctly say, they are a pittance, certainly in US terms). I don't know if that is a reflection of low benefits/taxpayer application, or simply typically high government program administration costs. Kinda like when you get a few dollars from the CRA.

Back