News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 627     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

You sure? I can't find any news of that.
From an article WKLis posted a few pages back:

At least one beer-maker, operating out of Prince Edward County, has promised to sell a specialty brew for a loonie. Barley Days Brew, which is set to host Ford for the buck-a-beer announcement, says it's discount lager is "not going to compromise" on quality.

Oh, are you referring to Barley Days? I won't count them yet, as they've not made any definite announcement. Only Ford has said they will. There's no notice of this in any press release, or on their own social media.

From a news piece on it:

Barley Days Brewery General Manager Kyle Baldwin says they hope to be offering a case of 24 beers for $24 soon.

Given the backlash they appear to be getting on the socials, I'd be surprised if they follow through.

Like I said though, I have doubts that any will be selling for Labour Day. Great promotion for Barley Days though.

Also, where are you getting $33 for a 24?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-ontarios-lucrative-monopoly/article23248112/

In 2015, as I mentioned. IIRC, *Ontario* beer taxes haven't gone up since what, 2011? The rise in price is federal, therefore across the board.

Last edited:
To note: The cheapest beer Barley Days sells at the LCBO is $2.82 a bottle in a 6 pack. On their own website (presumably sold on brewery premises), the cheapest they sell a beer is $2.95. I doubt they can actually afford to sell a beer for $1 without taking a loss. Again, this leads me to believe that Barley Days is just looking for promotion, but won't be able to supply product. They certainly aren't big enough to be able to supply the province.

Last edited:
Imagine that, Prov of Ontario official beer. Would certainly help the coffers.
fc89c6902ce6c5d60c2fdd04760d2e5d.jpg

Attachments

• fc89c6902ce6c5d60c2fdd04760d2e5d.jpg
    fc89c6902ce6c5d60c2fdd04760d2e5d.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 610
To note: The cheapest beer Barley Days sells at the LCBO is $2.82 a bottle in a 6 pack. On their own website (presumably sold on brewery premises), the cheapest they sell a beer is $2.95. I doubt they can actually afford to sell a beer for $1 without taking a loss. Again, this leads me to believe that Barley Days is just looking for promotion, but won't be able to supply product. They certainly aren't big enough to be able to supply the province.
Fine.... but why did they let Dollarama Doug on the premises to do their spiel if they weren't going to participate with his "buck a swill" promo?

Last edited:
I guess when the going gets tough, the dear Minister will just hide and ride it out for a few days, be useless and pretend nothing had happened.

AoD
That's not true! She has other things to pretend about:
Videos
upload_2018-8-8_15-59-25.jpeg
1:46
Lisa MacLeod says she brought concerns about Patrick Brown to PC ...

Global News - Jan 26, 2018
2:25
Lisa MacLeod walks back allegation she brought Patrick Brown ...

Global News - Jan 26, 2018
1:47
Lisa MacLeod says she flagged Patrick Brown rumours to party weeks ...

Global News
YouTube - Jan 26, 2018

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_15-59-25.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 373
    3.3 KB · Views: 386
    3.8 KB · Views: 373
Quaiff questions new government's professionalism

Timothy Meeks Belleville Intelligencer
Published on: August 8, 2018 | Last Updated: August 8, 2018 3:40 PM EDT
Robert Quaiff says the lack of professional courtesy displayed by the Progressive Conservatives regarding their buck-a-beer announcement Tuesday in Prince Edward County speaks volumes about the new government.

The Prince Edward County Mayor is miffed that he or other members of council were not extended an invitation to Barley Days Brewery for Premier Doug Ford’s announcement.

“What a useless, nothing press conference,” Quaiff said. “Everything is falling down around us and Doug Ford is promising a buck a beer. It speaks volumes about the priorities of this government. He rolled back the basic income pilot project he promised not to touch during the election campaign, he scrapped cap-and-trade and the sex ed curriculum, and that’s just a few of their non progressive moves.

“But the biggest thing for me with Tuesday’s announcement is the lack of professional courtesy. I’m still the mayor of Prince Edward County and it’s the lowest level of respect the PCs could have shown on behalf of Prince Edward County. When they want to showcase the Premier we should have received the respect of an invitation, but we didn’t receive one. I learned about the announcement online, so I asked my executive assistant, the CAO and his executive assistant if we received an official invitation and we had not. I finally got a text message from Todd Smith (Bay of Quinte MPP and Government House Leader) an hour before the event, which is ridiculous.
[...]
Quaiff said he would have attended the announcement had he received an invitation, but feels the buck a beer plan doesn’t help anyone, especially not the craft brewers who many have already stated they will not be lowering prices.

“There are a lot of craft breweries here in Prince Edward County that are not going to be lowering prices because they simply cannot afford it. The announcement looks like more of a distraction from their other moves. It did nothing. There was no funding announcement, no benefit to anyone,” Quaiff said.

Smith could not be reached for comment.
https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/local-news/quaiff-questions-new-governments-professionalism

Cheap publicity points with the Ford voters.

Cheap in what way? Craft Brewers can't afford it, and the big names are likely to get better returns on just offering sales on what they already make. They'll only be able to sell this stuff for $1 in Ontario (see Ontario's lower beer tax), killing the economies of scale they might get by being national. All to get associated with Dollarama Doug? Federally, it might be worth it. Provincially?

Fine.... but why did they let Dollerama Doug on the premises to do their spiel if they weren't going to participate with his "buck a swill" promo?

Because Doug probably said he was going to promote local businesses in a press conference and then blindsided them with it? Doug's not exactly shy to blindsiding people/businesses/cities. Why not talk it up in social media, or a big announcement on their website? Both of which, days later, are still dead silent on the subject.

In 2015, as I mentioned. IIRC, *Ontario* beer taxes haven't gone up since what, 2011? The rise in price is federal, therefore across the board.

This isn't correct. Provincial beer tax has rise from .54c per litre to .72c per litre from 2011 to 2017, with another increase of .3c per litre scheduled for this October. (baked into the current provincial budget).

That rise of .21c per litre works out to about .7c per bottle. However, you apply mark-up to that, and HST, and you get a hit of around .15c per bottle.

^ Time for a new award!

The SKUZ Award, for the cheapest Krap a brewer is willing to stoop to in the name of political expediency.

Any offers on what the akronyms would stand for with "SKUZ"?

The Story Behind the World’s Worst Beer

With the right search terms, you can find the video on YouTube. Standing in a small bathroom, some jackass in a skuzzy white undershirt takes a clear bottle of piss-yellow beer and decants it into a Corona-branded shaker pint. As the bottle empties, a middle finger-sized chili pepper plops out into the foam. Reluctantly, the young man takes a sip of the beer. He then immediately begins spitting up into the nearby toilet as his cameraman explodes with laughter.

That jackass was me.

It was the late aughts and I’d developed a weird fascination with trying the so-called worst beers on planet Earth—and having friends film my reactions. I’m not talking Natty Light or Milwaukee’s Best, but Bud Light Chelada and Mama Mia Pizza Beer. The lowest-rated beer of them all, and my white whale of awfulness, was something called Crazy Ed’s Cave Creek Chili Beer. It was, at the time, the lowest-rated beer on BeerAdvocate with a 1.69 star average; RateBeer scored it a perfect zero. And it was, and still is, the worst beer I’ve ever tasted. [...]
https://punchdrink.com/articles/story-behind-the-worlds-worst-cave-creek-chili-beer/

Ah, now it all makes sense: Ford is in a race to the bottom! The competition is afoot...

Last edited:
Let me add again, that I think this promise is 'unimportant', 'low priority' and from a practical point of view, in the absence of other policy changes, of no real effect.

However, I will actually defend the act of reducing (would prefer removing) the arbitrary and meaningless minimum price. As noted through this discussion government can and will control the effective minimum price through taxes.

Beyond that, if there must be a rule, surely it could simply be 'thou shall not sell below cost'.

I will add that I generally have a distaste for highly inordinate 'sin taxes' which I see as nanny-statish.

But I can't say a government in a deficit position, with an abundance of urgent spending needs should be lowering such taxes at this time, when I would be advocating for raising others.

This is insubstantive nonsense; but really the Wynne Liberals do have to wear creating a market for this nonsense w/the unnecessary raising of the price floor and by continuing to raise such taxes to the point Canada has the 3rd highest taxes on beer in the developed world.

I say that as someone whose personal vice is more a nice glass of Chianti....which won't be dropping in price any time soon. LOL

Last edited:

Back