News   Jul 22, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 634     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Hahaha. The stupid runs deep in Ontario... buck-a-beer coming soon to a store near you. Once the government passes on some of your cash to the brew companies.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/08/03/buck-a-beer-to-return-to-ontario-by-labour-day.html

View attachment 152530

Hmm, I see no mention that Ontario's basic tax on beer has risen from 54c per ltr to 72 since 2011.

Or that its due to rise again to over .75c per litre November 1st of this year (baked into this year's provincial budget) .

The difference, before mark-up is about .7c per bottle vs 2011. Assuming base mark-up of 100%, plus HST on top this accounts for about .15c per bottle of price.

The minimum legal required price is dropping by .25c

Hmmm.

I will be interested to see if any brewers pass on a savings greater than .10c per bottle or about $2.40 on a two-four.

I find it remarkable the new government is so against a health curriculum that teaches about consent and responsibility while putting so much effort into ensuring people have access to $1 beers.

Bizarre priorities.
It seems hard to argue that Ford is reverting to the 2011 sex-ed curriculum - which was supported by McGuinty and then Wynne, and supported by Horwath who propped up their minority governments.

It seems hard to argue that Ford is reverting to the 2011 sex-ed curriculum - which was supported by McGuinty and then Wynne, and supported by Horwath who propped up their minority governments.
???
I'm sorry...where did the new curriculum come from?

???
I'm sorry...where did the new curriculum come from?
Which new curriculum are you referring to?
  • There was one in 2010 - that McGuinty wouldn't apply.
  • He thus reaffirmed that the previous one was still valid.
  • After McGuinty re-elected with minority in 2011, McGuinty, and then Wynne, were happy with the previously re-affirmed (in 2010) curriculum and stuck with it, and Horwath also accepted it because she kept the government alive.
  • In 2015, the new curriculum, which was virtually identical to the 2010 rejected one, was implemented.
  • In 2018, Ford reverted back to the 2011 to 2014 version.

If you aren't talking in circles, you're still not making sense.

The 2015 one, the topic of conversation right now, the one that Ford is nixing. Which one do think others are referring to?

I find it interesting that even the Fraser Institute opposes the shrinking of council. They always prop up conservatives.
Excellent heads-up!
Ontario’s Ford government recently announced legislation aiming to cut the number of Toronto city councillors by half, citing reduction of the “size and cost of government” as the legislation’s primary motivation.

But in reality, this move distracts from other provincial and municipal priorities, and ultimately won’t do much to help Torontonians. Here’s why.

Reducing Toronto City Council from 47 to 25 seats does very little, relatively speaking, to save Torontonians money. In its statement, Queen’s Park claims this move will save the city $25.5 million over four years. For context, Toronto’s 2018 operating budget is $11.12 billion. The reported savings earned from reducing the size of council, therefore, represent approximately one-fifth of one per cent of Toronto’s annual budget—or one-twentieth of one per cent if these savings are divided annually.

Put differently, these savings represent only $2.33 per Torontonian per year. Clearly, while this move might send a signal about Queen’s Park’s approach to fiscal discipline, it distracts from other, more serious issues.

Namely, Toronto is still struggling with the legacy of its 1998 amalgamation (between old Toronto, Scarborough, Etobicoke, York, North York, East York and Metro Toronto). According to the provincial government of the time, merging local governments, while simultaneously reducing the number of elected officials in these governments (one important piece of legislation in this process was named the “Fewer Municipal Politicians Act”), would generate economies of scale, ultimately saving taxpayer money.

Such benefits did not materialize.

Rather than generating efficiencies, Toronto’s amalgamation ushered in a period of increased spending on important services such as fire protection, garbage collection, and parks and recreation.

It’s understandable—and perhaps laudable—that Premier Ford wants to make local governments more efficient. However, shrinking Toronto City Council is not a good way to achieve this goal, especially as Toronto continues to struggle with the legacy of amalgamation.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blo...duction-a-distraction-from-greater-priorities

Leftie Commies! How dare they question the Immaculate Leader!

Hmm, I see no mention that Ontario's basic tax on beer has risen from 54c per ltr to 72 since 2011.

Or that its due to rise again to over .75c per litre November 1st of this year (baked into this year's provincial budget) .

The difference, before mark-up is about .7c per bottle vs 2011. Assuming base mark-up of 100%, plus HST on top this accounts for about .15c per bottle of price.

The minimum legal required price is dropping by .25c

Hmmm.

I will be interested to see if any brewers pass on a savings greater than .10c per bottle or about $2.40 on a two-four.

Which doesn't factor in the issue of rising costs and availability issues for aluminum beer cans thanks to the Trump tariffs. Small brewers are already worried about getting their product out since they rely on cans more heavily than the multinationals and bigger locals.

From what I can see here from the burbs, people are concerned about some of Fords action however his style seems to have a lot of fans as well.

I disagree with his actions on the sex ed but support his other actions and I dont really an alternative as they offer the complete opposite, so really unsure who I can support then.

From what I can see here from the burbs, people are concerned about some of Fords action however his style seems to have a lot of fans as well.

I disagree with his actions on the sex ed but support his other actions and I dont really an alternative as they offer the complete opposite, so really unsure who I can support then.
We know jasmine. As a bi curious immigrant who is pro transit there really are no good options. So to Hell with everything. At least ford gives us dollar beer.

Well yes "from the subs" things look hunky dorey, your local council is safe and will remain so as long as you don't organize resistance to Herr Ford's policies. Toronto knew better and didn't vote him and his circus in. Just you wait until the "buck a beer" slogan runs dry and Doug's folks join AA, or perhaps when Doug starts meddling in your council affairs or finding efficiencies in the OHIP budget. Maybe then you can tell us whom you support.

Back