News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Pre-delivery Inspection and occupancy fees

ArcticS

Member Bio
Reaction score
From my understanding, the builder has up to 1 year to resolve issues brought up during the Pre-delivery Inspection. However, is there a standard that builders must have the house in before delivery, or are they allowed to have the house half completed, force the buyer to take occupancy and pay occupancy fees, while they take their time to complete the rest of the house over the next year?

thanks, I read that, but it just basically says what the PDI is and what's required, but doesn't explain what happens to the items that you report during the PDI.

as long as I know they schedule PDI's at least 2 weeks before the occupancy date and they are supposed to fix all the issues in this period of time, so the unit has to be ready by occupancy date.

That's what I would have thought. The PDI was 2 days before the closing, and during the PDI, the Builders rep verbally assured me that everything would be completed within the two days. It's been almost 2 weeks, but nothing has been done since the PDI.

That's what I would have thought. The PDI was 2 days before the closing, and during the PDI, the Builders rep verbally assured me that everything would be completed within the two days. It's been almost 2 weeks, but nothing has been done since the PDI.
it's frustating, I understand, unfortunately everything is set up to protect Builders and there is almost nothing to do to protect customers. you should not move to a place that is not ready, I cannot understand how the Government can allow builders to force people moving in the middle of dust, contruction workers, it is incredible and then you have to pay occupancy fees....it's ridiculous!

it's frustating, I understand, unfortunately everything is set up to protect Builders and there is almost nothing to do to protect customers. you should not move to a place that is not ready, I cannot understand how the Government can allow builders to force people moving in the middle of dust, contruction workers, it is incredible and then you have to pay occupancy fees....it's ridiculous!

I have a friend to bought into the earlier phase of Windermere and he had to move into his unit and pay occupancy fees even though the kitchen was not completed and all the appliances were missing.

He was given food vouchers to eat out for more than a month !?!?!? :confused:

Another friend who bought into Radio City had to move into his unit and pay occupancy fees even though the washroom was missing the tub.

Examples like these are beyond ridiculous ! ! !

List any outstanding items on Tarion's 30-day form and submit to Tarion and your builder. They then have 120 days to complete the items, or you can resort to conciliation.

When I did my PDI a month prior to delivery, there was still work to be done....no wall outlets installed, piss poor paint job, etc.

I refused to sign the inspection sheets on principle. Since its a "pre-delivery" inspection, I assumed that the place would be ready for delivery.

I then wrote a strongly worded letter to the company president, advising him of my position, and my views on the competence of his staff and I threatened to complain to the Better Business Bureau and pursue legal action if I got a unit that did not meet the criteria in the purchase contract....

In short order, the site manager was fired. They conducted a completely new PDI with me, with a new site manager brought in from their more high profile project, and my two page list of complaints was remedied.

Don't take crap. Be stern with them and extremely picky. It will be your home to live with in short order....don't accept less than perfection. I even complained about the tint in the granite. I didn't win that one but I did demand that they show a more recent sample to new buyers, which they agreed to.

I refused to sign the inspection sheets on principle. Since its a "pre-delivery" inspection, I assumed that the place would be ready for delivery.

Wish I had thought of this before the PDI. I read somewhere that the PDI is a requirement, and extensive steps are required by the Builder to ensure its done. This might have bought me a few weeks, and at least given me a leg to stand on.

I'm definitely going to push them further to get everything done. I've already advised my lawyer, and I'll put a stop payment for next months occupancy fees. Though, I'm thinking that might have some adverse effects.

Now, could someone please advise me? I understand that your P.D.I. should also include the common elements. That is, if there is a sloppy paint job in the parking garage, poorly fitted carpet in a hallway, etc. You have the right to demand these repairs be done. This is correct, right?

Now, could someone please advise me? I understand that your P.D.I. should also include the common elements. That is, if there is a sloppy paint job in the parking garage, poorly fitted carpet in a hallway, etc. You have the right to demand these repairs be done. This is correct, right?

I read an article by a lawyer in one of those condo mags that common area/elements deficiencies SHOULD be noted in your PDI.

a couple of helpful points:
1) take your time, even if they try to rush you;
2) don't feel guilty or shy about asking them to fix things;
3) make sure everything is written down..."don't worry about that, that will be fixed before you move in"...is no good;
4) bring in someone with keen set of eyes;
5) if unsure, put it down;

good luck, don't worry if you miss something you still have the 30 day...

Back