DUSwm.jpg

Dtbmc.jpg

mPr0F.jpg

OaJVF.jpg

WWTdX.jpg

Gi8SG.jpg

tPhs0.jpg

XuqzL.jpg

Great shots krooj! The 4th picture has a very eerie and somber feel to it. Really cool. What is your camera setup?

Lenser, your shots are always so sharp. What are you doing to pull that kind of focus, specifically with the night and low-light shots?

Hey krooj, thanks.

First, a word about what I'm using: the camera is a decent compact, a Panasonic Lumix LX5... I'm shopping slowly for a more capable system camera. Meanwhile the Panny is fairly small, despite the protruding barrel - fits into many of my coat pockets and goes with me most of the time as I make my way around the city. It's getting battered, which is a good sign - means I'm using it a great deal since I bought it shortly after its debut on the market. A great investment, but I find myself wanting more versatility and a larger sensor, with the superior image quality that affords.

My camera's low-light capabilities are somewhat limited because, when all is said and done, it's still a relatively small sensor compared to most DSLRs and the new breed of compact mirrorless system cams coming from Panasonic, Nikon, Olympus (and let's not forget Sony!). I compensate for that by shooting exclusively in RAW and then developing in Lightroom 4. It's a huge step up from version 3 - more flexibility in terms of shaping the image. Sometimes I force the (perceived) sharpness by boosting the clarity or by actually using the sharpness tool. Sometimes I mess with the contrast, or boost the blacks while also bringing out mid-tone detail in the shadows. But that said, the glass in this camera is pretty nice and sharp on its own, and the 24 mm makes it ideal for shooting landscapes and architectural details. However, it's not a great camera for zoomed up, intimate details of people in candid street scenes.

Cool - I guess if you're looking for compact ILCs, the OM-D E5 seems like a winner, and it has good noise control for m4/3. Plus, the thing is weather-sealed. I ended up going full DSLR because I love having a viewfinder, and the electronic variants don't do it for me.

Understood... I'm not coming out of the old school so viewfinders have never been an issue to me. While I like the Oly you mentioned, I'm also intrigued by the Panny GH3, because it does impressive video as well - and I'm increasingly interested in cutting together video. The other camera that I like for sheer portability and very impressive image quality would have to be the Sony NEX6. Still feeling it all out, however.

Back