News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Post your pictures of Toronto here!

Nice clean documentation! Still Seas is currently the biggest film gig in the city. It's taken up all of Pinewood and is in at least two other Toronto-area shops as far as I know - a simply massive project. Guillermo Del Toro's latest opus. Many of my friends have been making money hand over with this one... it's been chugging along for months now.

Hilarious:

037lb.jpg

Nice clean documentation! Still Seas is currently the biggest film gig in the city. It's taken up all of Pinewood and is in at least two other Toronto-area shops as far as I know - a simply massive project. Guillermo Del Toro's latest opus. Many of my friends have been making money hand over with this one... it's been chugging along for months now.

Thanks Lenser. Yes, between this and Total Recall before it; lots of money into our economy.

More progress on the Still Seas Elizabeth Street set. Today Sunday April 8th.

Note the Japanese flag on the building and the obviously-not-Canadian mail boxes.
DSC_5105.jpg

That's One City Hall condominium in the distance behind the bus. Many of the owners were leaning on their balcony railings 'rubbernecking' the activity below.
DSC_5107.jpg

The building behind the green 'taxi' is a University of Toronto student residence...
DSC_5109.jpg

Sorry, blurry.
DSC_5110.jpg

Some kind of Japanese domestic market only [I'm guessing] car. 'Vintage' no doubt.
DSC_5111.jpg

A complete beauty salon. No, it wasn't there before; it's for the movie. The Chinese gate/hipped roof thing is new too.
The attention to detail is amazing - the fake concrete has a 'wash' applied to it to simulate age.
DSC_5112.jpg

That's the west wall of Longo's supermarket behind the green 'taxi', all covered in Japanese script.
DSC_5113.jpg

A vending machine against Longo's street wall.
DSC_5114.jpg

DSC_5116.jpg

Last edited:
Quite amazing to realize the amount of detail that must be attended to for such a film.
Must be a big budget too!

Probably the biggest budget production to ever hit Toronto. So yeah, they can afford a tremendous level of detail. Many other productions can only dream of that kind of fine-grained attention.

My wife is a scenic painter; aging stuff down and doing faux finishes is her stock in trade. Turn vacuform brick molds into credible aged brick finishes; create wood grain or marble finishes with latex paint and scenic tint kits, that sort of finessing. In my own line of work, were I working on Still Seas, I'd be one of the guys designing the Japanese taxi graphics. As it is, I've done Toronto, New York, Chigaco cop cars and fire trucks... and many more of the same for fictional American towns.

Probably the biggest budget production to ever hit Toronto. So yeah, they can afford a tremendous level of detail. Many other productions can only dream of that kind of fine-grained attention.

My wife is a scenic painter; aging stuff down and doing faux finishes is her stock in trade. Turn vacuform brick molds into credible aged brick finishes; create wood grain or marble finishes with latex paint and scenic tint kits, that sort of finessing. In my own line of work, were I working on Still Seas, I'd be one of the guys designing the Japanese taxi graphics. As it is, I've done Toronto, New York, Chigaco cop cars and fire trucks... and many more of the same for fictional American towns.

Ok Lenser, just for you. Today - a world of hurt - movie style - on Elizabeth street.

DSC_2194.jpg

DSC_2195.jpg

DSC_2196.jpg

DSC_2197.jpg

This is the gray dusty stuff all over the place..
DSC_2198.jpg

DSC_2199.jpg

DSC_2200.jpg

DSC_2202.jpg

DSC_2203.jpg

Wow, that's such a huge dress. Has to be costing plenty. The signage alone would be several thousand dollars. Great photos, great documentation. Funny to think of how quickly they get in, do their thing then disappear. Probably a good thing too, considering how disruptive a downtown location shoot can be in terms of traffic, parking, etc.

Great to see behind-the-scenes, on-the-set images of film making.
Hope you are able to continue with this "photojournalism" effort, Mustapha.
I'm surprised you haven't been thrown off the set yet. Connections?

Great to see behind-the-scenes, on-the-set images of film making.
Hope you are able to continue with this "photojournalism" effort, Mustapha.
I'm surprised you haven't been thrown off the set yet. Connections?

Thanks Lenser.

Thanks Goldie. Before they started filming anyone could wander around. There were security guards to assure no one touched things of course. Today it was a closed and locked film set. I took todays pics with a 18--250 Sigma stabilized zoom lens - it's like being right in the thick of things :)

Awesome, thanks for the pics Mustapha

"Still Seas" must be the "code" name for the movie. It's called Pacific Rim
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/

It's been the working title for months. This often happens in the business; they don't decide on the release name until well into shooting. All the paint and construction crew types have been going with "Still Seas."

Back