News   Jun 17, 2024
 154     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 209     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 346     0 

Post your pictures of Toronto here!

On the banks of the Rouge River.

Abandoned structure. Or what's left of the Chimney.

I've been trying to get more info on this place. From areal photos it looks like the property existed into the mid/late 1950s and had road access from the Pickering side of the river from Winette Rd.

I've found little reference to anything here except a mention of a Hotel that would have existed on the banks of the Rouge in this area. This might be related.

Anyone know anything about this place?
20230728_110520_HDR(1).jpg

On September 20, 2023, there was a giveaway for a can of Guinness 0 Non-Alcoholic Draught:

IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg

Note that despite it being a non-alcoholic draught, there is a button that states that one must be legal drinking age to acquire it, despite the fact that anyone, regardless of age, can legally purchase a can of Guinness 0 Non-Alcoholic Draught.

I biked to Yonge-Dundas Square to grab a can. One of the employees asked me and I told her that I am a teetotal cyclist given that I have the alcohol flush reaction:

She told me that it is excellent for teetotal cyclists with the alcohol flush reaction.

My entire family is teetotal by the way and I am giving the can to my father as he is the only one in my family who drinks non-alcoholic beer.

A real estate agent gave out free ice cream at Walter Saunders Memorial Park on September 23, 2023:

IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0172.jpeg
IMG_0173.jpeg
IMG_0174.jpeg

I got myself mixed vanilla and chocolate ice cream served on a regular cone.

@Northern Light I even included some photos of the park itself, so you have an idea of what the park looks like once you get to visit the park to do a writeup.

0001-06.jpg

With the RT now officially gone. I've been searching my filed for images of the system. I realized just how little of them I have. This one is from 2002/2003 at McCowan Station. From grade 9 photography class, shot on film and developed in class. Hence the shitty quality.

View attachment 509203
With the RT now officially gone. I've been searching my filed for images of the system. I realized just how little of them I have. This one is from 2002/2003 at McCowan Station. From grade 9 photography class, shot on film and developed in class. Hence the shitty quality.
Speaking of searching for the past, shortly after the RT commenced operating in 1985, I flew a camera crew in a helicopter filming trains along the entire route. If I recall correctly, the film production company was contracted by the manufacturer (Urban Transportation Development Corporation?) to make a promotional film of the new trains.

To obtain a permit to operate the helicopter at low level over a populated area, I had to fly an Inspector from Transport Canada over the route a few weeks prior to the film crew.

Once we had the permit, we spent a couple of hours in the air chasing the trains.

I never saw the footage. No idea what became of the film.

Now that would be something to have to remember the RT.

Speaking of searching for the past, shortly after the RT commenced operating in 1985, I flew a camera crew in a helicopter filming trains along the entire route. If I recall correctly, the film production company was contracted by the manufacturer (Urban Transportation Development Corporation?) to make a promotional film of the new trains.

To obtain a permit to operate the helicopter at low level over a populated area, I had to fly an Inspector from Transport Canada over the route a few weeks prior to the film crew.

Once we had the permit, we spent a couple of hours in the air chasing the trains.

I never saw the footage. No idea what became of the film.

Now that would be something to have to remember the RT.
Now that would be a great video to find. Shame so much of the early video era has been lost and never really stored.

Wishful thinking: maybe someone reads this who knows someone who worked at UTDC / Bombardier or works at Alstom and knows if that old promo film exists. I’m sure we’d get a kick out of seeing it. 😁

Back