News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 554     0 

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

Great, if you could hop a track home
Letter from Queen street: TTC network has expanded but it has 52 fewer streetcars

Peter Kuitenbrouwer
National Post

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The other day the kids and I caught the Dundas streetcar for an afternoon skate on Nathan Phillips Square. What a nightmare! When we left the crowded rink, we headed down to Queen Street to catch the 501 car westbound, and at 4 p.m. joined a crowd of about 100 people waiting at the stop. A sign on the post says the car comes every six minutes, but in the clear afternoon air I could see very far east on Queen Street. There was no streetcar in sight.

An inspector in a wine-coloured jacket and black-brimmed hat arrived, radio squawking. "Where is the streetcar?" I asked him.

"I just don't have enough streetcars to put on this line," he said. "Twenty years ago I had 55 streetcars operating on Queen Street. Today I have 31. It's just nuts."

It seemed hard to believe, so a few days later I called young Adam Giambrone, the new chair of the Toronto Transit Commission. Mr. Giambrone, who was at TTC headquarters for a "briefing," passed the phone to Mitch Stamler, manager of surface planning, whom he called "our secret weapon."

Indeed, Mr. Stamler spun the numbers so thoroughly that my head is still spinning.

Yes, the TTC has fewer streetcars, but that is not the problem, says Mr. Stamler. Let's take this slow and try to sort it out.

First, it is true that Toronto today has way more streetcar track, and fewer streetcars to run on it, than 20 years ago. In 1989 the TTC operated 300 streetcars: 196 Canadian Light Rail Vehicles, 52 Articulated Light Rail Vehicles, and 52 of the old Presidents Conference Committee Cars.

In 1990 Toronto added a new streetcar line on Queen's Quay, and in 1997, the city replaced the Spadina bus with a streetcar line, running from Queen's Quay to Bloor Street. During that time the city retired the 52 PCCS. Today, then, we have a much larger streetcar network and 52 fewer streetcars.

But the TTC argues that this balances out, because ridership has declined.

Mr. Stamler says the 31 articulated streetcars now operating on Queen at peak hours are equal to 45 of the shorter streetcars that formerly plied that route.

"That's a reduction of 18% in capacity [since 1989]," he said. "Ridership on that route has declined a staggering 41% since then."

He blames the drop in riders on all the factories that have closed in the west end of Toronto. (What about those who have ditched it because it never comes?)

Adding more streetcars won't solve the problems on Queen. He says that on King Street, the TTC has added nine streetcars during peak times in the past few years to deal with new condo growth, but hasn't increased ridership.

"More streetcars just get lost in the congestion of mixed traffic," he says.

I checked with others who ride the TTC every day. Most agreed with my general observation that the King, Dundas and College streetcars are all more reliable than the Queen car -- though still not great.

Gord Perks, new councillor for Parkdale- High Park, who does not own a car, rides the 505 Dundas West streetcar from his home, near Dundas Street and Dovercourt Road, to City Hall every day.

"I call the Dundas streetcar the morning mosh pit," he says. "On a good day it's a 15-minute ride, and on a bad day it's a 45-minute ride."

So what's the solution? More dedicated streetcar lanes, a la St. Clair, says Mr. Stamler.

Even so, to achieve this, we'll need more streetcars.

"The commission is working with the city and the province on a streetcar procurement strategy," assures Mr. Giambrone, "in order to get new streetcars on the streets of Toronto as early as 2010."

After the kids and I waited 20 minutes, three streetcars arrived together. The driver ordered us off the first one, because it was too full. We got on the second one, but it short-turned at Shaw Street, so we got on the third one, which finally brought us home. There must be a better way.

I travel next week to Amsterdam to check out, among other things, that city's streetcar network, so stay tuned.

The TTC made three big boneheaded fleet decisions in the 1990s.

The first, in 1992, was the dismantlement of the trolley bus network. The trolleys were getting old, and the infrastructure old (plus the Eglinton and Lansdowne garages were aging). However, not long after, the TTC had a serious diesel bus shortage, partly due to the post fishbowl lemons it got in the 1980s. This was at the same time that the HSR dumped its trolley buses, but the Rae government would have likely subsidized new buses. San Francisco and Seattle were replacing some of their ETBs at the same time, so there were on-the-shelf models available (even from New Flyer!)

If I had my way, Wilson garage would have trolley capacity, and two logical, busy routes with few branches - 7 Bathurst and 29 Dufferin would have become wired, along with the existing 4/26, 6, 47, 61, 63, 89.

Bonehead idea #2 - CNG buses - shorter life of any bus, and in this order were the infamous Orion VIs, still the worst bus the TTC ever bought (including the lousy artics and even the new VIIs). Plus they were restricted to certain routes due to clearance.

Bonehead idea #3 - the all but complete disposal of the remaining PCCs. The TTC knew that 509 and 510 were in the works, and would require streetcars. Some of the CLRVs are in storage due to being in need of serious repair.

I did get to visit one of the disposed PCCs in Kenosha - who bought 5 of our cars at rock-bottom prices and are still running! They kept one in TTC colours, and in Muni fashion, they painted the other 4 in other Midwest system's colours. (Muni now has a PCC on site painted in TTC colours - I hope to visit it when I'm there in April).

The worst part are those friggin short-turns, especially on the 501/2, where the Beaches and Mimico/Long Branch often get screwed.

I travel next week to Amsterdam to check out, among other things, that city's streetcar network, so stay tuned.
Wylie, I don't follow the Post so if you'd be so kind to post it, I'd love to hear his observations from Amsterdam (though I fear the classic "tourist-effect").

----

But yeah... the Dundas streetcar is by far the most reliable of the downtown bunch. Any surprise that it also has the shortest route?

So what's the solution? More dedicated streetcar lanes, a la St. Clair, says Mr. Stamler.
Well, Mr. Stambler... you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that you're not going to get dedicated ROWs on Queen, King, Dundas, or College. Any alternative plans to increase reliability? Didn't think so.

How about a friggin' east-west subway line through the core? The King, Queen and Dundas streetcars carry 125000 people every day...a subway is blatantly obvious. Apparently corn fields and "getting people out of their cars" are more important.

No shit. A Queen tunnel through the central core would be a great place to start. It was first proposed in the 1930s. Even better is a DRL running both sides of the downtown that could intercept riders from the east and west it was seriously proposed in the 1980s.

I'm still working on my comprehensive transit plan, but it addresses all the big needs: faster surface transit, fixing Malvern, east-west service south of Bloor, Eglinton Avenue, a DRL and a real regional rail network. Also addresses the airport service and service for Mississauga (alternatives to the busway and a subway all the way to MCC).

The best way of improving reliability without ROWs or any infrastructure improvement is to split the Queen and possibly the Carlton routes in two, with overlapping routes between the Yonge and University lines.

Two ways of doing this are to split Queen into two: one side doing Neville-McCaul, the other doing Long Branch-Church.

Maybe restore the 507, to reduce the short turns on the west end and shorten Queen a bit. Better to give Long Branch a more reliable local route and forget the concept of running every single route into the subway (this could also perhaps work for Malvern if a very frequent express bus goes there).

Another idea is that Queen should serve the original core route (Neville to Humber), while the Long Branch route should be resurrected, running to downtown, and looping somewhere east of Yonge. The Kingston Road routes should run all day, and reduce service slightly on Queen.

On Queen they could start by actually running more streetcars on the road.

On Queen they could start by actually running more streetcars on the road.

Where is TTC going to get then now when it does not have enough cars to meet the current schedules?

If TTC moves ahead with the New LRT's to start arriving in 10 on the 2 for 3 base, headways will be longer than the 5:30 current service. Love thous bean counters.

You will see buses on Queen before you see more streetcars.

If TTC moves ahead with the New LRT's to start arriving in 10 on the 2 for 3 base, headways will be longer than the 5:30 current service. Love thous bean counters.

Drum's making a very important point here. Since the new streetcars are going to be larger, the TTC is going to run fewer of them. They're planning on replacing the current CLRVs on a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. The fact that the TTC is willing to cut service levels in half or a third and sees absolutely nothing wrong with this just shows how they can really be their own worst enemies.

Instead of putting so many cars on Spadina, where they're guaranteed to be bunched up, rendering the last few in the bunch half empty and useless, they can put a few of them on Queen...even one or two would make a difference sometimes. There's no reason why waits of 20-30 minutes should be so common on Queen and it's usually not due to anything other than a complete and utter lack of streetcars on the route.

I read on another board that some of the CLRVs in disrepair are essentially being held back as if Council goes with refit rather than new streetcars they will be the first ones sent and thus there will be no decrease in streetcars on the road, but no increase either since when they come back in-service CLRVs will be yanked to be refitted.

Some people oppose a subway on Queen because
(a) it will increase property values and gentrification and drive the artist and quirky store community out even faster than at present.
(b) inter-stop distances will increase

Yanking Queen out does have implications because it orphans the branch lines it connects and would make questionable the viability of all the downtown lines - especially since TTC would assume their unviability in any event and yank them to pay for the Queen line.

For me I'd extend the 501 along the 6.4km from Queensway to Sherway Gardens. The road is wide enough for ROW and there's new medium density developments every time I go there. I would make the stop intervals less bus-like and more Bloor subway-like and include transit signal priority and "next streetcar" signs.

Now you have a streetcar in ROW from Sherway to Roncesvalles for decent trip times and given that 501 is a proof of purchase line you can use ALRVs and all-door loading and also new cars which can be modularly extended to 40-50m as ridership expands with a "subway-like" service. The existing poorly subscribed 80 bus service is not indicative - ridership is poor because the service is dire - up to now there hasn't been density and it requires a change at Humber Loop anyway. It is also cannibalised by the parallel Evans service.

(By the way Mr. Mayor - 40-50m is "subway-like". 18m is "bus-like".)

Then you have to do something which would cause screams which would make SOS look like kittens - tell people that Queen Street east of Roncesvalles is an transit axis and parking just won't do - especially illegal parking. Tow trucks (hybrid ones, naturally) should be lurking visibly at every trouble spot and as a starter, Jane Pitfield's notion of cameras of streetcars to record incursions on streetcar lanes should be considered since ROW would be too much to hope for. However, with the streetcar bombing along the Queensway and coming to a screeching halt at Roncesvalles will hopefully encourage Etobicans to tell West Queens Westers that everyone has to do their bid for the City, as they do (someone has to live in Etobicoke after all).

I propose we switch to a swipe card system/honor system- all buses and streetcars would make all their doors available for entry and ticket inspectors would make their rounds, fining you if you do not have a ticket. The lost revenue would most likely be regained in the fines charged to those users who refuse to pay. I know it works in other cities of the world, because I have had to pay those fines- $70 makes the $2.75 very worth it (this example has been converted to dollars from euros.)//

Also, with the event of newer and longer streetcars on toronto's streets, its not hard to imagine how much time this system would end up cutting off the wait...

p5

A card system could be great especially if it had some sort of RFID tag in it...the ticket inspectors wouldn't even need to go up and personally inspect everyone's tickets, they could just walk through the streetcar/bus with a machine designed to automatically scan everyone's card and detect ones that hadn't been validated within the last...two hours, say.

I noticed how bad the ground based TTC is during rush hour yesterday. It took the King streetcar 40 minutes just to go from Bay st. to Bathurst. >:

We're in major need of a downtown crosstown ROW. If there's something I'm going to lobby our officials about in 2007, this is it.

Something was really messed up yesterday. I headed to a west-end store instead of heading straight home. The Queen Car I was on westbound diverted south on Victoria, west on Richmond and north on York to get around a collison.

Later, there were no Queen Cars in sight westbound at John. I walked down to King, which was a mistake - I just missed a westbound car there, but it ended up bunching with four other cars at Charlotte. I then took a Spadina Car north, which was another mistake. One car was stopped for a while northbound at King (with a queue waiting to board its closed doors), another car pulled in, we get on, and then wait another 10 minutes.

I then see King cars southbound on Spadina with a shitload of southound 510s, but northbound stops were a mess with hundreds waiting in futility for cars that were packed full.

BTW - the northbound car I was on, 4131, has one of the new driver shields. Yet another thing I hate about the TTC lately (between really loud and redundant stop announcements, a sudden decline in reliability of the surface network, overcrowding, the nagging woman in station announcements) - shouldn't cameras be enough? I was really taken aback by it, and feels like it isolates too much, though it is not complete - the most front part is uncovered, so it covers about 3/4 of the space between passengers and the driver.

Back