Portrayal of Montreal in NY Daily News

B

bizorky

Opinion piece from the New York Daily News. The guy sounds a bit whacked:

Too close for comfort
Just an hour away by plane, Montreal is a terror haven
By FABRICE de PIERREBOURG
Monday, April 2nd 2007

On Dec. 14, 1999, American border guards intercepted Ahmed Ressam as he tried to cross the U.S.-Canada border. In a spare tire well of his rented car, they found nitroglycerin and four timing devices. The target of this would-be terrorist, who came to be known as the Millennium Bomber, was Los Angeles International Airport.

But just as important as his destination was his origin: the French-Canadian city of Montreal, which sits just six hours north of New York City by car on I-87.

The arrest revealed to the world the existence of an active Islamic jihadist cell, then baptized the Montreal cell. It was in this Quebec metropolis that Ressam had stirred up his plot against the United States. Montreal was where he had been recruited into a radical Salafist mosque to subsequently train in an Al Qaeda camp in Afghanistan.

Eight years later, New Yorkers must face a startling, sobering reality: The threat of Muslim fundamentalism in Montreal is only growing. If left to fester, it could put New York City in the crosshairs of another major attack.

Canadians have repeatedly tried - and failed - to tame the threat. Back in 1996, the French anti-terrorist judge Jean-Louis Bruguière had shed light on ties between a group of ex-mujahedeens from the Bosnian war and five individuals, including Ressam, who were then illegally living for the most part in Montreal. All were imprisoned except one, Abdellah Ouzghar, who now lives freely in Canada, awaiting extradition to France.

Some wishful thinkers convinced themselves that the neutralization of this faction took care of the problem. Wrong. Montreal has not lost its appeal for jihadists. In fact, over the past 10 years, approximately 20 Montrealers have been involved in various plots. In the fall of 2006, Assem Hammoud, a longtime resident of Montreal, was arrested in Lebanon for planning to blow up PATH train tunnels near Manhattan. In 2001, two Montrealers, Abderraouf Jdey and Faker Boussora, vanished after declaring their intention to die as martyrs. The organization Rewards for Justice is offering $5 million for their capture.

Montreal, only an hour's flight from New York City, shelters at least 30 individuals linked to the Islamist movement, as well as several veterans from the Afghan Al Qaeda camps. Some of these radicals have already been condemned for terrorism overseas and have returned to this city, either legally or illegally. Canada's Security Intelligence Service has made clear it is very concerned about the significant increase in the "jihadization" of young Canadian Muslims and converts.

Yet despite all this, airport and border security remains lax. Just last week, a Canadian Senate committee said security is consistently taking a back seat to revenue collection at U.S.-Canada land crossings.

And last year, I published a study demonstrating how, on seven occasions, I gained access to the Montreal airport's tarmac and to other restricted zones where planes outbound to the U.S. were located. I also hid in food cart storage refrigerators; it would have been easy for me to put a bomb in one of them.

It's not surprising that, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, NYPD intelligence chief David Cohen installed an information officer in Montreal to keep a close watch on this sword of Damocles that hangs over the heads of New Yorkers.

Will it be enough to avoid another disaster?

De Pierrebourg is author of the book "Montréalistan."

NY Daily News-Portrayal of Montreal

Everyone: I read this article myself and I am thinking-like Ganjavih mentioned-that I would expect a right-leaning paper like the NY Post to think like this writer-it surprises me that the centrist NYDN would think in this manner. To me it exposes the paranoia that some Americans-especially from the hard right-have on the subject of terrorism. The Hard Right in my opinion play up the fear factor to keep their power base. I personally feel that if we become paranoid on the subject of terrorism the dirtbags have won. I believe there are far more issues and topics to worry about-an example is the easy way the shooter in the Virginia Tech massacre LEGALLY got his guns-than playing on terrorism fears. I do believe they are a legitimate threat but that type of fear is NOT going to rule MY life!!!
LI MIKE

Re: NY Daily News-Portrayal of Montreal

The reporter who wrote this piece is from Montreal. Clearly he is one who is taking advantage of the situation to ramp up fears. I would also assume that a year or two down the road, he'd be one of the reporters whining about how airports had come resemble armed camps because of security paranoia.

sure its a little doomsdayish...but he is not off the mark

Canada's immigration policy is a joke, and i don't doubt that there are active terror cells operating in Montreal.

The only New York paper that matters to me is the Times, which thankfully isn't full of this crap. How do you take a writer seriously when his book is titled Montrealstan?

Anyway, the Times has a wonderful website for a newspaper, I share the TimesSelect with several family members and is always a good read. I could even spend several hours reading it even on-line - it's that good. That, plus the Star and the CBC/BBC on occasion, gives me all the news I need.

The last time I checked, Jacques Rose, one of the FLQ cell members responsible for the kidnapping and assassination of Pierre Laporte, is now a renovation contractor. Would you trust him to redo your home?

The FLQ is hardly active these days.

A freelance writer in Montreal is not going to sell articles to American publications saying: "The situation in Montreal is comparable to just about any large North American city". If he identifies a crisis, he gets a paycheque.

As for the comment above, re. Canada's immigration policy is a joke, provide details please. And on what do you base the assessment that there are likely active terror cells operating in Montreal?

I am not talking about the FLQ, nor did I say they were active- although that is another disgraceful mark on Quebec’s record

I am talking about Canada's liberal immigration and political asylum policies. It is not a secret that Canada’s immigration system is constantly abused, as is its welfare institutions. Ahmed Ressam is a perfect example of a terrorist posing as a refugee, as he entered Canada in 1994 claiming refugee status. There is a wide variety of other example, from the Sikh extremists invovled in the Air India Bombings (Canadian citizens) to the plot unfolded in Toronto last summer (also involving Canadian citizens).

I know the FLQ doesn't exist, just pointing out that terrorists are not only Muslims or Sikhs, let alone immigrants. Most terrorist acts in North America have been committed by white Christians.

I am talking about Canada's liberal immigration and political asylum policies. It is not a secret that Canada’s immigration system is constantly abused, as is its welfare institutions. Ahmed Ressam is a perfect example of a terrorist posing as a refugee, as he entered Canada in 1994 claiming refugee status. There is a wide variety of other example, from the Sikh extremists invovled in the Air India Bombings (Canadian citizens) to the plot unfolded in Toronto last summer (also involving Canadian citizens).

Should we abolish the police just because some officers abuse their power? What about corrupt politicians? Is that good enough reason to get rid of all government? Should we get rid of highways because some drivers ignore the rules and endanger everyone?

I never said they were only Muslims/Sikhs... I used the most recent and relevant examples of terrorism/terrorism plotting in Canada

are you assuming I'm in favour of ending immigration? Thats the only scenario in which this blurb makes any sense?? Again i didnt say that. I think Canadian immigration policy can be reformed, especially where refugee/asylum status is concerned.

I don't know how accurate it is (or inaccurate) - but Quebec is desperate to increase the immigration (to offset immigration elsewhere -- which reduces Quebec's overall % within Canada).

Quebec does favour immigrants (remember they have a say in immigration now) that speak french, and since a significant number of the old french colonial nations are in hot-spots for radical muslum activity -- it is not a great leap in logic to think that might result in a higher percentage of immigrants from these areas having ties to organizations that are considered terrorist friendly. Also, we really have no foreign intelligence (other than that we get from the Americans and British) which can be used to determine if an immigrant should be let into Canada.

Once a person is in Canada, if the person does not want to leave -- the process takes almost a decade to deport the individual (but this is not that much different than the US).

The FLQ may not be bombing anything at the moment but to disregard them would be a serious mistake. They still release threats from time to time and are always just below the surface. You can be certain that if the allready fragile anglo-franco relations break down that they will return.

Back