News   Jul 15, 2024
 426     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 568     0 

Population of Toronto (Including Census Counts)

That's how I feel too.
It would be nice if cities like Brampton can act like a real city with a population of more than half a million instead of functioning as a sad flat suburb of Toronto who can't exist on its own. Lyon, France has fewer people yet manages to be a true city. Mississauge has similar population as Austin and San Francisco and guess who outside of GTA has ever heard its name. Most would think it is somewhere in Latin America.

Well what is your definition of a functioning city? By the way it is MississauagA and not MississaugE.

Wait, I don't get it. Why are published population numbers such as the total population of Canada (over 34 million versus 33.5 million), Toronto etc. much higher than the numbers presently released by statistics canada even though the growth rates 2006-2011 exceed those of 2001-2006?

Old Toronto:

2006: 687,166
2011: 736,775
% Growth: 7.2%

Not too shaby... especially considering the city as a whole didn't grow quite as much as expected. St James Town's census tract lost some population but it looks like it will still be the densest (at least it's the densest in Old Toronto). I think the population estimates include people who didn't respond to the census, that's partly why they're higher.

Somewhat surprisingly, East York grew too, both from growth in more lowrise neighbourhoods, and in Thorncliffe and Crescent Town.
2006: 112,054
2011: 115,365
% Growth: 3.0%

York barely grew
2006: 137,084
2011: 137,963
% Growth: 0.6%

Last edited:
Milton grew by 56.5%!

Fastest growing city in Canada!

And it shows. The last time I drove up James Snow Parkway (northbound to 401) in the morning, the queue of cars trying to get onto the 401 was backed up beyond Main Street. And this was about 2 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Wait, I don't get it. Why are published population numbers such as the total population of Canada (over 34 million versus 33.5 million), Toronto etc. much higher than the numbers presently released by statistics canada even though the growth rates 2006-2011 exceed those of 2001-2006?

Intercensal estimates are always higher than official preliminary census releases. The census just makes a physical count (well, it goes to like 99% or whatever, and then extrapolates the final 1% just so enumerators don't spend six months arguing with people to get the last two houses on a street to fill out their form). The off-year estimates take uncountable people into account like the homeless or unregistered illegal immigrants, as well as people like students or migrating workers that are hard to situate as of Census Day, etc. They also look at housing starts and completions, utility connections, and so on, so they are invariably higher than the first census numbers - it's a complete estimate, not just a static count of countable people on a certain day.

Anyway, by basing estimates partially off dwellings, though, you run into the problem of overestimating how many people actually live in them. Most of the condo units downtown have a low people-per-household rate, yet are typically assumed to have the city average rate. It also doesn't account for declines like divorces, deaths, kids moving out, etc. So for a few years the city has been assuming that it got shafted in the 2006 census when the 'official' growth was lower than expected. "But we have all these condos!" Yeah, but there's only like 1.2 people living in each of them.

Meanwhile, a block away, a house broken up into 4 apartments was renovated back into one dwelling for a couple without kids. The single mother of two living on one floor of the house maybe upped and moved in with her sister in a 905 house. The old city of Toronto lost people between 2001 and 2006 despite a condo boom. The Double Cohort probably didn't help the city's numbers either since twice as many young people left high school at once and began scattering - how many of them ended up in Waterloo or Calgary or Markham? There's lots of little factors, some of which you can get a peek at by looking at data for census tracts or lower.

Come 2011, the total number of condos bumps growth into positive territory through sheer brute force. Also, that Gen X couple that renovated the house might finally have a kid now. As long as Echo Boomers have kids before their grandparents die, the numbers will creep forward.

edit - oh, and I forgot to add that the preliminary census releases will be adjusted eventually to try to capture some of the gap between who was counted (the census numbers), and who should have been counted (the running estimates). But by the time they've done this, the preliminary numbers will be published and will have become canon (possibly being used in projecting tax revenues for the next few years, redistributing electoral ridings, changing "Welcome to X-ville, population Y,Z00" signs, etc., etc.?). The adjusted numbers are kind of useless because everyone's focus has moved to the preliminary figures for the *next* census, leaving the adjusted numbers good for little else than tweaking the running estimates two or three years down the road.

There's always going to be a gap because we're increasingly compelled to generate excessive information and fuss over keeping it updated, though I wonder if our government wouldn't prefer to abandon the quinquennial census completely and just keep the population clock: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ig-gi/pop-ca-eng.htm

Last edited:
Milton grew by 56.5%!

Fastest growing city in Canada!

Not sure if you are joking but the measurement of "fastest growing" by percentages is very dangerous as it creates public/media hype and can lead to the misdirection of public funds.

So, their magnificent growth rate of 56% brought the town of Milton's total population to almost 85k in population.........comparing that to another city already mentioned....Brampton added more than that (just over 90k) during those 5 years alone. Some of these truly fast growing places are having real strains (lack of transit, roads, healthcare) that need addressing fast (and yes, I am most familiar with Brampton's issues as I have lived there most of my life) and sometimes (IMO) the hyping of fast growing places like Milton diverts the senior levels of governments' attentions away from where the needs are greater.

Not sure if you are joking but the measurement of "fastest growing" by percentages is very dangerous as it creates public/media hype and can lead to the misdirection of public funds.

So, their magnificent growth rate of 56% brought the town of Milton's total population to almost 85k in population.........comparing that to another city already mentioned....Brampton added more than that (just over 90k) during those 5 years alone. Some of these truly fast growing places are having real strains (lack of transit, roads, healthcare) that need addressing fast (and yes, I am most familiar with Brampton's issues as I have lived there most of my life) and sometimes (IMO) the hyping of fast growing places like Milton diverts the senior levels of governments' attentions away from where the needs are greater.

You are 100% correct and I agree completely. I usually try to avoid such imprecise language.

Milton is the census subdivision that exhibited the highest rate of growth in Canada during the 2006-2011 period.

Frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't some random northern rural community. Those places can easily go from 50 people to 100, posting a 100% growth rate.

Last edited:

Agree. I don't know why a small town of 85k people claim to be a city.
In my dictionary, a "city" at least needs to have 300k residents. Markham with 301k people is still a town. If you drive around Markham, you know it is NOT a city.

Canada has 15 real cities, the smallest being London, ON.

In my dictionary, a "city" at least needs to have 300k residents. Markham with 301k people is still a town. If you drive around Markham, you know it is NOT a city.

I don't know who designated your dictionary as the official word on such matters.

In Ontario, the population that a municipality must reach before it can rename itself to a city is 10,000.

In Quebec they don't even designate between town and city.

Downtown Toronto's waterfront census tracts (between Dufferin and the Don), arguably the focus for the condo boom, grew from 26,573 people to 45,532 people (71%).

You are 100% correct and I agree completely. I usually try to avoid such imprecise language.

Milton is the census subdivision that exhibited the highest rate of growth in Canada during the 2006-2011 period.

Frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't some random northern rural community. Those places can easily go from 50 people to 100, posting a 100% growth rate.

Milton is just the fastest growing census subdivision with over 5,000 people...several dozen small communities grew faster, although some of them went from just 5 to 10 people and are probably just reservations or hamlets that were divided and recategorized. :)

Sounds a bit arbitrary. To me, Kingston is way more "city" than the bedroom community called Markham.

Back