News   Jul 15, 2024
 636     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 780     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 612     0 

Population of Toronto (Including Census Counts)

Just four more days until we get the new census population numbers! I wonder how well the Toronto number will jive with the number on the Ontario website.

The GTA population will be well over 6M, as I looked in a MapArt mapbook which stated the population at 5.8M in the '06 census.

I was on the Gardiner the other day and they were hanging a new population sign. I couldn't see it all because some was covered but I think it said 2,730,000. Did anyone else see it?

hi, Suburban single family house living is suitable for families who only care about the family itself and is not interested in the rest of the world. Household work, the kitchen, the backyard, the front yard is pretty much their whole life. For them, even going out for a movie is sort of major thing.

This is funny but so true when you really think about it. When I was a kid we played out on the street from morning till bedtime (in the summer). We knew when to move cause the cars were coming. When it was too hot, we sat under a big tree on one of the properties or played between the houses where there was shade. My backyard had no grass but a vegetable garden and veranda and the backyard was just to run to when playing hide and seek.

I'm curious to know, does the city have an official policy on population growth? Are we just trying to keep things steady, is there an active interest in making the city much denser, etc?

My understanding is the big ticket to spurring economic and population growth is directly linked to high density transit, (subways, streetcars, rail links) - if thats the case, for the life of me I can't understand why city hall has squashed one transit plan after another. I've always felt that Toronto's potential has been hindered by the allowance of growth in the 905, rather than trying to retain all the growth within (metro toronto) city limits.

The city should have been allowed to intensify way more before allowing growth and development to take place in the 905 north of steeles

I was on the Gardiner the other day and they were hanging a new population sign. I couldn't see it all because some was covered but I think it said 2,730,000. Did anyone else see it?

Since you're talking about the Gardiner (which is entirely in-Toronto), I hope you're not talking about something like this

DRAKE-BILLBOARD.jpg

Then again, under the Rob Ford mayoralty, this might be more suitable

2774714996_6129d89bd6.jpg

I'm not sure that taxing 905ers when they enter the 416 is the right approach, but London adopted the downtown zone tariff almost 10 years ago and apparently it's been working well, both decreasing the number of cars in the downtown core and increasing city revenue.

I think a better transportation system connecting the suburbs to downtown Toronto could be a great source of revenue as well. The logistics and infrastructure will definitely need to be analyzed for feasibility in Toronto but the concept works in other cities around the world.

exactly. It makes perfectly sense to impose say a $10 congestion fee for any vehicle to enter downtown streets between Front, Bloor, Spadina and Jarvis. Street parking should be prohibited completely within this area. This area is for people to walk or ride the streetcars. This area has excellent transit, and basically within walking distance, driving should be strictly discouraged by imposing a fee for the congestion and inconvenience the cars cause to the pedestrians.

I doubt it can ever be adopted, as democracy is never about doing the right thing, but to make most voters happy (usually out of selfish interest).

Considering that only few days left before Stat Canada will release the 2011 population data, any guesstimates what would be a population of Toronto? I am expecting a larger jump than that tiny 20k increase between 2001-2006... My guess would be 2.7 million.

How about the different parts/suburbs of Toronto? Here are the populations in 2006.

Old Toronto: 687,166
York: 137,084
East York: 112,054
North York: 635,370
Etobicoke: 334,491
Scarborough: 602,575

My guess for 2011 is:
Old Toronto: 780,000
York: 140,000
East York: 110,000
North York: 650,000
Etobicoke: 340,000
Scarborough: 650,000
Total: 2,670,000

Last edited:
Interesting idea! I would not expect Scarborough to grow faster than North York, considering past trends (2001-2006). I think the fastest growth will be in Old Toronto and North York.

Since you're talking about the Gardiner (which is entirely in-Toronto), I hope you're not talking about something like this

DRAKE-BILLBOARD.jpg

I guess that is just an ad for something? Drake? Is that the musician or the bar?

Since the photo is from October, I guess the guys were cleaning or repairing it.

Interesting idea! I would not expect Scarborough to grow faster than North York, considering past trends (2001-2006). I think the fastest growth will be in Old Toronto and North York.
North York got more intensification, at least that's my impression, but the reason I'm expecting Scarborough to grow more is that there are a few subdivisions around Morningside Heights, Rouge and Port Union that I think were built after 2006. I'm also counting on a bit more of a decrease in household size in North York than Scarborough.

Another thing that will be interesting to see... will St Jamestown still be the densest census tract or will others surpass it? I'm thinking it will cling on for one last census, but that census tracts around the Waterfront, North York Centre and Yonge/Bloor will close the gap quite a bit.

North York got more intensification, at least that's my impression, but the reason I'm expecting Scarborough to grow more is that there are a few subdivisions around Morningside Heights, Rouge and Port Union that I think were built after 2006. I'm also counting on a bit more of a decrease in household size in North York than Scarborough.

Not sure, because (a) a lot of those subdivisions were already in place in 2006, and (b) central Scarborough is sufficiently suburban-declineish to counterbalance that (though there are brownfields-redevelopment pockets near Warden Station and wherever)

The city should have been allowed to intensify way more before allowing growth and development to take place in the 905 north of steeles

Any idea why intensification was never pursued?

I'm seriously at a loss when I try to understand the historical context for some of the decisions Toronto implemented. Are any legitimate efforts underway to seriously intensify the population of Toronto? Recently I've been hearing that the condo boom here may perhaps be a bubble taking shape. A toll to enter Toronto is out of the questions, so what can we do at this point?

Back