451     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 597     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 572     0 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the we fund the extension into Vaughn, Shepherd, or Eglington? Can't recall specific taxes related to those projects, just prioritized in the budget.

Yeah why don't we depend on provincial budgets to fund our transit, look how far that's gotten us in the past thirty years.

That's as much time not working as working. IIRC, the province didn't start contributing to operations in a big way until the late 60's/early 70's.

It would be even better should the federal government start contributing to transit's operating budget on a steady basis, like all other western countries do. Unfortunately, the feds lowered their GST from the original high of 7% in 1991, down to 6% in 2006, and down to 5% in 2005. If they had kept it at 7% or 6%, that revenue could have gone into transit, as well as other social programs.

It would be even better should the federal government start contributing to transit's operating budget on a steady basis, like all other western countries do. Unfortunately, the feds lowered their GST from the original high of 7% in 1991, down to 6% in 2006, and down to 5% in 2005. If they had kept it at 7% or 6%, that revenue could have gone into transit, as well as other social programs.

Maybe that also shows how new taxes are not needed. Never before in Canada's history has the Federal government contributed more to transit than now. $700M for Spadina extension, $660M for Scarborough subway and $300M for Sheppard. Maybe not as much as some would want, but much more than in the past.

Maybe that also shows how new taxes are not needed. Never before in Canada's history has the Federal government contributed more to transit than now. $700M for Spadina extension, $660M for Scarborough subway and $300M for Sheppard. Maybe not as much as some would want, but much more than in the past.

The issue isn't the amount but that it's piecemeal. If your dad gave you a cheque for $10,000 last week, that doesn't mean you can buy a house next year because surely another $20,000 is just around the corner. It's easier for you to plan your future if you know you're getting $1,000 a week, every week. All you need to know about this "big" investment is that when Harper and Flaherty announced the Scarborough subway they didn't utter a single syllable about future funding or The Big Move It was about vote buying and divisiveness, not city building and certainly not investing in some LIBERAL plan.

The NDP made cuts but it was Harris gutting the ongoing funding that put us behind the Eight Ball. The only thing I'd give him is that the feds were also passing things down the province and so they passed them down to municipalities. But municipalities have no power and we've seen that if, say, you give Toronto the ability to levy new taxes, people don't want to hear that either.

When Toronto was considered a leader in transit, it was when they were getting regular provincial funding; and from PC governments, I might add.

Sure, the feds could have given a slice of the HST but it's not like they were weighing whether to invest in cities or cut the HST. Cutting the HST was an end undo itself (and the tax itself was introduced as a temporary measure to eliminate the deficit, don't forget).

The ONLY solution to getting out of this mess is ongoing funding - ideally from all 3 levels - that is dedicated and transparent. The annual budget process, the whims of Ottawa, selling real estate (?!) will provide some funding but no actual solution.

Sure, the feds could have given a slice of the HST but it's not like they were weighing whether to invest in cities or cut the HST. Cutting the HST was an end undo itself (and the tax itself was introduced as a temporary measure to eliminate the deficit, don't forget).

I'd need evidence of this....the GST was introduced as a replacement for the old Manufacturers Sales Tax and was considered a permanent (albeit easily adjustable) measure by everyone (except maybe Jean Chretien when he was buying votes by saying he would/could eliminate it).

I think BRT/rail expansion will be the least of our problems if Hudak becomes premier. He;s a disciple of Harris. Imagine no more gas tax for transit, redownload social service costs, all those new BRTs/LRTs/subways wouldn't mean shit anyways.

I'm with you, honest. But have a nit.... The Davis Dr. (Newmarket) BRT is way too far along to be off Hudack's table, however much he wants it to be. Either way, it is a make work boondoggle not too far removed from the locks on the river through town and up to Lake Simcoe that were built in the 30's and never used. Until the density is a lot more than anyone is comfy with currently, this busway will be underused. A LOT.
The balance of the infrastructure upgrades required almost make up for it, and definitely open up the possibility to the density required... so I guess this egg may beget a chicken (in 20 or 30 years)...
Interesting about the canal to Newmarket. I never knew about it and just spent the last hour Googling it. Turns out the canal was 85% finished when Borden canned the project when he got elected in 1911. Apparently there were doubts that it would have enough water but they built it anyway. It would have connected Newmarket to the Trent-Severn Waterway, which was almost complete at the time. The locks are very much still intact, complete with bollards to tie up boats. One supports the Yonge St bridge over the Holland River. A swing bridge that never swung carried Green Lane until a few years ago.

Sorry to get off topic, but I grew up within spitting distance of the Trent-Severn and I find stuff like this fascinating.

With the fall of the Liberals at hand, this thread becomes even more relevant.

To recap his plan

TTC
-Build the Downtown Relief Line (Line # 3?)
-Extend the Bloor-Danforth Line (Line number 2) to McCowan/Sheppard East

Suburbs
-Extend the Yonge Line to Richmond Hill (Line 1)
-IIRC, he said he would extend the subway to Mississauga from Kipling instead of building an LRT

City of Toronto
-The province would take back Allen Road, DVP and Gardiner (Maintain the Gardiner rather than destroy)

GO
-More investments in GO trains

Metrolinx's structure

-Wants to use "Transport for London" as a model to merge GO and TTC subways together
(TfL oversees London’s underground and overground systems, as well as major roads; it also plans the bus network, which is run by private companies under contract.)
-Mr. Hudak hinted this may be only the first step in a broader integration of the region’s transit systems.

Financial Plan?

-Killing most LRT's in the GTA except Hamilton (?) from the Big move plan to build the DRL instead
-Cut the all day kindergarten program + efficiencies

yea if you are a transit advocate you are trading a bird in a hand (LRT) for Birds in a bush (Subway). People should really think about how much they dislike the idea of LRT vs having NO TRANSIT before voting PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back