484     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be illegal.

Regardless who's in power.

It's truly disgusting how little oversight we have when it comes to how our hard-earned tax dollars are spent.

I can actually agree with you on this one. Of course, then Harris would've gotten turfed, as would've McGuinty.

I can actually agree with you on this one. Of course, then Harris would've gotten turfed, as would've McGuinty.

Well, maybe if a few politicians went to jail over their "crimes against the Province" (I'm being silly, of course, but still ... ), we'd have more accountable politicians/parties.

It's not just the gas plants the Ontario Liberals f*cked up.

Their fumbling of several files has cost this province a great deal of money.

Yes... However I'm certain that could be said about any government (or even individuals). How much did Harris' dumb "mistakes" cost us and how much will Hudak's?

Yes... However I'm certain that could be said about any government (or even individuals). How much did Harris' dumb "mistakes" cost us and how much will Hudak's?

Way more. 99 years' worth of lost 407 tolls, plus the sunk costs (and they were grand alright) of acquiring the land for the 407 and building it, and the economic cost of having an essentially useless luxury highway not fulfilling its intended purpose of relieving congestion, which still strangles our province. And that's just the 407, to start with :p

Harris did get turfed. Even though he stepped down, it was still his mandate that Ernie Eeves finished up and government repsonsibility means that Eeves deserved to be punished.
This is the exact same reason why nobody feels that the Wynne government is any different than the McGuinty government.

Way more. 99 years' worth of lost 407 tolls, plus the sunk costs (and they were grand alright) of acquiring the land for the 407 and building it, and the economic cost of having an essentially useless luxury highway not fulfilling its intended purpose of relieving congestion, which still strangles our province. And that's just the 407, to start with :p
minus the $3 billion sale price.

The 407 is also used exactly as it would have been by the government, the tolls ensure that congestion never occurs on the highway. Its the whole point of tolling it. Case and point is the 407 East project which the government will operate just like the main portion of the 407.

That said, it was still an insanely dumbfounded move by the province to sell it.

minus the $3 billion sale price.

The 407 is also used exactly as it would have been by the government, the tolls ensure that congestion never occurs on the highway. Its the whole point of tolling it. Case and point is the 407 East project which the government will operate just like the main portion of the 407.

That said, it was still an insanely dumbfounded move by the province to sell it.

I have some serious doubts our tolls on the 407 would be as high under provincial ownership as they are under the consortium. They operate in that highway one of the most expensive tollways in the world, after all.

What a minute ... does this mean Harper's admin. is doing something right?

Somewhere, Jim Flaherty's looking down on us and smiling.

Yes. I hate the Harper conservatives more than you can imagine, but the one thing they got right was managing the books. The Liberal government back in the 1990s balanced the budget and paid off a bunch of debt, but it came at significant cost to our economy and society. While Harper has damaged our society in many ways with his horrible policies, those horrible policies aren't his fiscal ones.

Now, income splitting, if implemented, will ruin a huge chunk of that record. It's the most stupid tax cut ever. I liked when Harper cut the sales tax, as sales tax is one of the most regressive taxes we have in our society. (Still think that $12B a year should have went to transit instead, but at least its a fairness-helping tax cut). Income splitting only benefits the well-off, and most importantly, it only benefits married couples with kids. What about the rest of us? What about those of us who don't have kids and don't get married? We already are f**ked over thanks to the massive tax subsidy the government gives to married folk this will only make it worse. The money would be much, much, much better spent increasing the basic personal credit, as that move would help everybody, with the greatest help given to those who need it the most.

Last edited:
The 407 is also used exactly as it would have been by the government, the tolls ensure that congestion never occurs on the highway. Its the whole point of tolling it.

I have some serious doubts our tolls on the 407 would be as high under provincial ownership as they are under the consortium. They operate in that highway one of the most expensive tollways in the world, after all.

Yeah, the tolls are astronomical, even overnight; no congestion charging scheme would be charging $0.20/km to drive on the highway at 3am. The 407 charges way more than needed to ensure there's no congestion.

Okay.

And I hope you do realize that Ontario's net debt growth basically plateaued between 2002 and 2007 and our debt to GDP ratio was decreasing. It wasn't until the Global Financial Crisis of 2007/2008 that Ontario's debt spiked.

Short of blaming the global financial crisis on McGuinty, I don't see how anyone could reasonably assign blame to the Liberal government for that increase in debt. The same thing would have happened under any other government

Now if the debt/GDP continues to rise, then we have a problem.

It is continuing to grow.....our debt level is growing faster than our economy

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...tario-Provincial-Election?p=877717#post877717

I need some clarity on the 407.....on the one hand we "lost billions" based on the amount of tolls the private operator has/does/will charge.....on the other hand one of the benefits of continued public ownership is we could have dramatically reduced toll charges......is that about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back