News   Sep 27, 2024
 144     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I'm willing to wait and see how this develops, as our current approaches clearly aren't working either in Ontario or BC. But this just smells like something they scrambled to put together in advance of the election to say they're doing something, rather than something they thought out over the three years this guy has been Premier (or seven years he's been in Cabinet).

I don't get this demand that temporary workers should now expect to be given PR status.

If I go to, for example Thailand and want to work for a year teaching English, I need a work VISA and employer sponsor. Once that VISA expires, of course I expect to either renew it or leave the country. I would have no rights or expectations that Thailand grant me PR status because I've been employed there as a temporary foreign worker. IMO, these workers in Canada just don't want to go home so are making a fuss so they can overstay their welcome.

We have it good here in Canada - and if after a taste as a TFW you want to join us permanently, go home and apply like every other potential immigrant.

Last edited:
IMO, some of the commitments I want to see from Trudeau's replacement as PM do are as follows:
  1. Federal Public Service reduction of employees per population to 2015 levels.
  2. Meet NATO commitment of defence spending 2% GDP. Get us into AUKUS and more involved in Pacific defence and countering China.
  3. Reform immigration:
    • Throttle back immigration until housing starts exceed demand and employment is at or below the US rate. Currently Canada's is 6.6% while the US rate is 4.2%.
    • Cancel the TFW program for all but seasonal work (such as agriculture) to drive employment opportunities and increase wages for Canadians.
    • Cancel any route to PR for TFW or International Students unless there is a strategic need for their credentials and/or skills (for example, nurses)
    • Cancel family reunification beyond immediate family. We want you and your kids, not your sickly uncles and grandparents.
  4. Commit to a constitutional amendment guaranteeing a right to housing for all Canadians.
    • Then work with provinces to a plan to eliminate homelessness.
    • Address the needs (through the provinces) of the mentally ill and addicted (w/r to supportive housing)
  5. Balance the budget by 2030:
    • With real, independently audited goalposts every year until then.
    • Any new program must be funded by either revenue growth or spending cuts.
  6. Crime and Punishment
    • Increase penalties and reduce bail and early release for violent crime.
    • Deport any non-citizens found guilty of violent crime, also auto theft, drugs, etc.
    • Reduce sentences for non-violent crimes. Fill the jails with the really rotten apples.
  7. Increase revenue to help pay for the above:
    • Close loopholes that the wealthy use to avoid taxes.​
    • Return the GST to its original 7%. This will help to pay for some of the above.​
    • Enact a carbon tariff on any import outside of CUSMA from nations that are high polluters (China, India, Brazil, etc).​

Last edited:
I don't think this will lead to an election. Neither the NDP nor Bloc.are eager for an election. Trudeau may be pressured to resign, but I doubt it.

I don't think this will lead to an election. Neither the NDP nor Bloc.are eager for an election. Trudeau may be pressured to resign, but I doubt it.

There is blood in the water.

The opposition parties know that Trudeau is weakened and the Liberals are losing support.

By forcing an election now, the parties prevent the Liberals from finding a permanent leader before the next election. They may even force Trudeau to run as leader of the party.

The timing is perfect and they know it.

If Jagmeet doesn't fall in line, it would give credence to the theory that he is only interested in his pension. The NDP Brass are not stupid, if their support tanks because Jagmeet is seen to be supporting his own interests he will be tossed.

I get it, nobody wants an election but honestly they have the LPC dead to rights. In my opinion they would be obliterated, probably not as bad as the 1993 PCs but close.

In any case, I don't see Justin Trudeau lasting until Friday let alone the next scheduled election.

Right now is the perfect storm politically speaking and the LPC is more vulnerable than they have been in years.

Last edited:
There is blood in the water.

The opposition parties know that Trudeau is weakened and the Liberals are losing support.

By forcing an election now, the parties prevent the Liberals from finding a permanent leader before the next election. They may even force Trudeau to run as leader of the party.

The timing is perfect and they know it.

If Jagmeet doesn't fall in line, it would give credence to the theory that he is only interested in his pension. The NDP Brass are not stupid, if their support tanks because Jagmeet is seen to be supporting his own interests he will be tossed.

I get it, nobody wants an election but honestly they have the LPC dead to rights. In my opinion they would be obliterated, probably not as bad as the 1993 PCs but close.

In any case, I don't see Justin Trudeau lasting until Friday let alone the next scheduled election.

Right now is the perfect storm politically speaking and the LPC is more vulnerable than they have been in years.

While that's great in theory, an election now means the PCs win, which is not what the constituents of the Bloc or NDP want. The NDP might have some fanciful idea that they can win, but they won't. The reality is, there will be a 2-3 term conservative majority government, and the leadership of these parties will be gone before the next competitive election. They should probably realize that before they pull the trigger.

While that's great in theory, an election now means the PCs win, which is not what the constituents of the Bloc or NDP want. The NDP might have some fanciful idea that they can win, but they won't. The reality is, there will be a 2-3 term conservative majority government, and the leadership of these parties will be gone before the next competitive election. They should probably realize that before they pull the trigger.
Although this post seems a bit like jumping to conclusions, I previously mentioned on September 4 about how Canadian voters view the system as a binary:
When I received the headlines just now, it was shocking but understandable to me.

I think this would explain why:

Many Canadian voters see elections as a choice between the Conservative and Liberal parties, as they have been the only two parties to govern this country. There is no denying the current government is unpopular, but it seems to be more of a Trudeau thing than a Liberal Party thing.

It may be like the provincial level, where Doug Ford's PCs easily won in 2018 thanks to how unpopular Kathleen Wynne's Liberals were. Could we be seeing this at the federal level? A bit too likely for me.
In the time since, the notion that this is going to repeat at the federal level appears to have only been reinforced, even with inflation cooling to 2% in August.

The Pharmacare bill hasn't passed in the Senate yet, and there will definitely not be a confidence vote before then. Given the NDP has been getting some of their priorities passed with the Liberals, and definitely won't if the Conservatives get a majority government, there's no incentive for them to trigger an election.

Although this post seems a bit like jumping to conclusions, I previously mentioned on September 4 about how Canadian voters view the system as a binary:

In the time since, the notion that this is going to repeat at the federal level appears to have only been reinforced, even with inflation cooling to 2% in August.

Anything can happen in politics, but, it would take something extraordinary to change the course here. People want drastic change, and empty promises are not going to do it this time.

It seems that the liberals lost their Montreal seat to the BQ. My guess is that either the opposition capitalizes on this by forcing an election or Trudeau resigns.
When was the last time the Liberals won a by-election?

The NDP opposition will not force an election until Singh's pension is secured in Feb 2025. But below is more likely the official reasoning.
The Pharmacare bill hasn't passed in the Senate yet, and there will definitely not be a confidence vote before then. Given the NDP has been getting some of their priorities passed with the Liberals, and definitely won't if the Conservatives get a majority government, there's no incentive for them to trigger an election.
If I was Trudeau, I'd call the election for two weeks before Singh's pension date just to f#ck him over. You're going down anyway, might as well take down everyone else.

One thing that factors into a party's willingness to force an election is the size of their warchest. I understand the Conservatives and Liberals are likely in good shape; not so sure about the others. It's hard to start a fight when you can't afford to play.

Back