News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.9K     4 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 742     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

That would be interesting as we seem to be in an era where a lot of union leadership are sufficiently out of touch with the base that they actually sign these deals that are then rejected on the member vote.
I know that could always happen, but it seems much more common now.
When was the last time that happend?

That would be interesting as we seem to be in an era where a lot of union leadership are sufficiently out of touch with the base that they actually sign these deals that are then rejected on the member vote.
I know that could always happen, but it seems much more common now.
I doubt there is any overall data on this but, just going on memory and those negotiations that get media attention, I get the sense that non-ratification of a tentative agreement is fairly rare. Off the top of my head I can't remember a recent one.

What would be the benefit to the bargaining committee/executive? If they were that out of touch with their membership, they likely wouldn't be in place for long.

It happened with the TTC I think in 2018. And Metro/Unifor last year. So it's rare, but definitely something that is always a possibility.
There's been a lot recently.

Even just yesterday

Interesting both those articles note the ejection margins are often very narrow.

Not a federal issue per se, but certainly one that effects people across Canada is how to address the issue of people with severe addictions that represent a danger to themselves and others, refuse treatment.

The BC government out with an announcement today that involuntary treatment is very much back on the table, effective immediately.

For background here, BC has been steadily moving in this direction, under the current NDP government as public calls to 'do something' about the number of people wandering the streets, some violent, in a state of severe intoxication.

BC is about to head into a provincial election, so the gov't is getting this policy announcement in before they are precluded from doing so in a week's time.

This on the heels of BC's main opposition, the Conservative Party saying it would pursue involuntary treatment as well.

I think this is relevant, here, because we're seeing this shift in views across much of the country. Under NDP rule in BC, and under Conservative rule in Alberta and Ontario (we're not at this inflection point yet in Ontario, but the move to close a sizable number of safe injection sites, and open more treatment beds suggests similar policy moves in progress).

From the above:

1726436936721.png

Last edited:

Back