News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Polls show ‘across-the-board, generalized retreat’ from Liberals, says Coletto​

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will ‘either walk up to the edge of the next election and run, or he'll walk up to the edge of the next election and decide to retire,' so until that time Liberals should focus on how to ‘get more competitive with the current prime minister,’ says former Martin-era Liberal PMO staffer Scott Reid.​

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/202...o-resuscitate-partys-fortunes-coletto/415100/

It is expected given the economy and interest rates. A lot of countries are having the same problems.

Canadian voters vote in Canada. What is happening elsewhere is broadly irrelevant to the voter here. But if we're going to start comparing, Canadians are mostly going to look at the US, where unemployment and cost of living are lower. I'm not sure that is a comparison Trudeau and the Liberals would want.

I disagree with you. Unemployment rate is calculated differently in the US vs Canada. Also, the US has 30 year fixed mortgages vs Canada's five year rate. Housing costs at much worse in California, and New York then Canada, even Florida is getting bad.. And is likely to get worse with the border crisis with Mexico.

The main difference between Canada and the US right now is the inflation reductions act. That is turbo charging the US economy, even in the era of high interest rates.

The economy in Canada is bad, people are lining up for miles for job openings. Interest rates hikes have more of an impact in Canada then the US.

I disagree with you.

You can disagree with me all you want. That's not going to change the perception of the median voter.

Unemployment rate is calculated differently in the US vs Canada.

Irrelevant. Wages are also going up in the US. That's not really the case in Canada.

Also, the US has 30 year fixed mortgages vs Canada's five year rate.

That's an advantage of a large market. You can get a 10 yr mortgage if you want in Canada. Rates aren't usually favourable. That's the difference.

Housing costs at much worse in California, and New York then Canada, even Florida is getting bad..

A smaller portion of the American population stays in California and New York than the proportion of Canadians who live in Southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland.

And is likely to get worse with the border crisis with Mexico.

Fox News tell you that?

And if you're concerned about the flood from Mexico, you should be able to understand why there is growing concern about the flood of immigrants in Canada.

The main difference between Canada and the US right now is the inflation reductions act. That is turbo charging the US economy, even in the era of high interest rates.

There was nothing stopping the Liberals from implementing similar industrial policy. Their choice to focus on everything else but the economy.

Rents, interest rates could ease with temporary resident targets: BMO economist​

Miller said as of 2023, Canada was home to 2.5 million temporary residents, who make up 6.2 per cent of Canada’s entire population. Over the next three years, the government plans to bring that percentage down to five per cent.

Kavcic said this would bring Canada’s population growth down significantly.

“If these targets are met, while net births and permanent resident inflows continue as planned, we judge that Canadian population growth could grind down closer to 1 per cent in the coming years from north of 3 per cent today.”

He said this could lead to “less pressure on rents and housing, less stress and inflation in services, and lower interest rates than we otherwise would see if these inflows were to continue.”

A target that they will achieve in 2027 is not going to help them with an election in 2025 (or earlier).

The inflation rate is 2.8%, lower then the US 3.2%.

And? Americans actually have higher wages and lower cost of living in absolute terms to make up for that 0.4% difference in the inflation rate.

Are you a bot or are you getting paid to blast out random stats on here without actual context or knowledge? Blasting out random stats on Urban Toronto isn't going to be changing votes. You're just trolling at this point. If you're an LPC campaigner let your boss know random stats aren't going to convince voters. They need to actually improve living conditions and quality of life for the median voter to get re-elected.

Last edited:
Part of improving quality of life is actually implementing their climate plan. They have 80 billion dollars budgeted over ten years that should be helping to grow our economy.
They need to have a sense of urgency in implementing their clean investment tax credits. It is a major part of rebuilding our economy and creating good paying jobs.

As for polls? The Liberals were leading in the polls in June 2023, then the Bank of Canada started hiking interest rates again, and all the rats started to coming out.

The Liberals need to focus on the economy, and a major part of that is implementing their clean investment tax credits.

And? Americans actually have higher wages and lower cost of living in absolute terms to make up for that 0.4% difference in the inflation rate.

Are you a bot or are you getting paid to blast out random stats on here without actual context or knowledge? Blasting out random stats on Urban Toronto isn't going to be changing votes. You're just trolling at this point. If you're an LPC campaigner let your boss know random stats aren't going to convince voters. They need to actually improve living conditions and quality of life for the median voter to get re-elected.
I recently spent a week in Texas. I was assessing cost of living and pay in the area. Groceries were about the same. Some things more expensive than Canada, others cheaper. Lots of 'help wanted' signs, advertising low pay ($11/hour at a dairy queen). Home prices are much lower than here (<300k USD), but I get the sense that this area was not very economically active. The built form is a bit odd: Wide lots, single story ranches, often no gutters. No tax base to support road maintenance so the roads are terrible. Pickup trucks and full-size SUVs everywhere.

People intuitively understand something is wrong. And stats back them up.

1000014653.jpg

I recently spent a week in Texas. I was assessing cost of living and pay in the area. Groceries were about the same. Some things more expensive than Canada, others cheaper. Lots of 'help wanted' signs, advertising low pay ($11/hour at a dairy queen). Home prices are much lower than here (<300k USD), but I get the sense that this area was not very economically active. The built form is a bit odd: Wide lots, single story ranches, often no gutters. No tax base to support road maintenance so the roads are terrible. Pickup trucks and full-size SUVs everywhere.

Where'd you go? Cause I have relatives who live in an HOA in Houston whose multi-million dollar home is literally the smallest (you read that right) that the HOA allowed in the entire neighborhood. Their home is over 3000 sqft with a separate 3 car garage, saltwater pool, built on a one acre lot. The roads inside their neighbourhood are pristine. There's much more variation in the US than here. And especially in a state like Texas.

One thing that is different (and one has to watch out for) in low tax states like Texas are the property taxes. That $300k home probably pays $5k or more in taxes. Their property tax rates are much higher there.

As for their roads being terrible. Such is life in a place where the suburban ponzi scheme is further along. Add in the penchant for large vehicles and it only makes it worse. But at least in rural Texas that are more dirt roads. That's actually was more tax and infrastructure efficient.

End of the day, the fact that you (a successful middle class professional) are kicking the tires on a screwball (politically and culturally) state like Texas, says a lot about the current state of Canada.

Back