News   Mar 28, 2024
 399     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 290     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 317     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Frankly, I don't know what you need to do to get re-elected in this country. There's no inflation to speak of... not the like zero-atmospheres eyeball-sucking stuff there was when I was a kid. Unemployment's low. People are working and they have money to spend. We're doing pretty well holding that orange maniac just south of us at bay, and even when he stuck his junk in NAFTA just to show that he could, we held on and kept it more-or-less the way it was. Alberta's constitutional right to access the ocean, federal territory, has been upheld AND provisioned, but are they grateful? Are they, hell. We have no constitutional crises going on to speak of. We've concluded a decent trade agreement with the largest trading bloc on Earth (and yes, due credit to Harper for getting that ball rolling; fair's fair). Pot's FINALLY legal and getting the cache of scotches, rums, and gins. The scandals, such as there are, are low-key, he-said-she-said affairs with no bodies in the morgue (tainted tuna? Walkerton?). There's pretty much the LEAST wrong with Canada right now that there has been in my whole lifetime, and STILL Justin's just dog-paddling and barely ahead of that Pillsbury Dough Boy come to life across the Commons floor. Honest to God; if his father had managed to achieve just HALF of that in the 1970s, the country would have elected him KING, for Christ's sake.

More good economic news--

Canada's economy grew at an annual rate of 3.7% in the 2nd quarter, Statistics Canada says. The growth was led by a 3.7% surge in goods exports, following 2 quarters of declines. Canada's growth rate compares favourably to the US, which is only growing at an annual rate of 2%.

More good economic news--

Canada's economy grew at an annual rate of 3.7% in the 2nd quarter, Statistics Canada says. The growth was led by a 3.7% surge in goods exports, following 2 quarters of declines. Canada's growth rate compares favourably to the US, which is only growing at an annual rate of 2%.
See? Case in point.

Frankly, I don't know what you need to do to get re-elected in this country.
Yep, I'm happy enough. Job's good, house is almost paid for, RESP's are stacked for the kids, the family is healthy for the most part and we're happy with the healthcare we've needed, taxes seem to be affordable. I agree we seem to be holding our own on Trump and we've got good prestige overseas. We seem to be moving in the right direction on plastic pollution and the environment.

As a libertarian-minded, church-going, university-educated, middle class, homeowning, hetero, English-speaking (UK born) white guy in a multi-decade marriage to the mother of my children, the country's doing just fine. But I imagine those with a different perspective may not share my rosey view.

Yep, I'm happy enough. Job's good, house is almost paid for, RESP's are stacked for the kids, the family is healthy for the most part and we're happy with the healthcare we've needed, taxes seem to be affordable. I agree we seem to be holding our own on Trump and we've got good prestige overseas. We seem to be moving in the right direction on plastic pollution and the environment.

As a libertarian-minded, church-going, university-educated, middle class, homeowning, hetero, English-speaking (UK born) white guy in a multi-decade marriage to the mother of my children, the country's doing just fine. But I imagine those with a different perspective may not share my rosey view.
A PM that didn't break the law 13 times would be nice.
A PM that isn't trying to divide Canadians would be nice.
A PM that isn't trying to force Western separation would be nice.

I've done if provincially, and here is the comparison federally - Canada is under-performing our neighbor. Actually, under Trudeau, Canada is beating USA in job growth and Balance sheet - but not growth and not as well as historically.

A PM that didn't break the law 13 times would be nice.

From Macdonald on down, have you ever heard of one?

A PM that isn't trying to divide Canadians would be nice.

Welcome to politics in a multi-party democracy. Please submit this wish to the first star of the evening, or Tinkerbell if she happens by.

A PM that isn't trying to force Western separation would be nice.

A Western Canada that isn't a one-party state living in 1947 would be even nicer.

Canada is under-performing our neighbor. Actually, under Trudeau, Canada is beating USA in job growth and Balance sheet - but not growth and not as well as historically.

So we're doing better than the US, but you're bitching because they're doing better than they were to the point that we're not doing HUGELY better than them anymore, just... BETTER than them. Should we perhaps be nuking their cities to hold them back, or what exactly is it you think we should be doing to hobble our neighbours so that you can feel VASTLY superior, STILL grouse about the Liberals, and insist on the basis of nothing whatsoever that the Tories would be doing better? I'm curious. Let's hear your plan.

Any damn fool of a political handler would have written the above, and a good candidate would have delivered it with a smashing blow.

Because many of the handlers aren't aware of events that happened before the Smartphone. To paraphrase, 'those who are ignorant of the past . . . '. Gone are the days when political backroom folk were experienced operatives; now they're mostly hired guns out of university.

Because many of the handlers aren't aware of events that happened before the Smartphone. To paraphrase, 'those who are ignorant of the past . . . '. Gone are the days when political backroom folk were experienced operatives; now they're mostly hired guns out of university.
Butts et al do seem to be outperforming whomever Scheer has running.

The Cons are in the same place now as the Liberals were when PM Martin lost in 2006. After that 2006 loss the Liberals had to suffer through over six years of caretaker placeholders in the form of Dion, Ignatieff and Rae. Scheer is like Dion, waving the party flag, trying to keep the faithful onside whilst the party backroom are searching for a real leader.

The Tories are in disarray. Had Trudeau and his name and hair not come along, Harper would likely still be PM today.

Butts et al do seem to be outperforming whomever Scheer has running.

The Cons are in the same place now as the Liberals were when PM Martin lost in 2006. After that 2006 loss the Liberals had to suffer through over six years of caretaker placeholders in the form of Dion, Ignatieff and Rae. Scheer is like Dion, waving the party flag, trying to keep the faithful onside whilst the party backroom are searching for a real leader.

The Tories are in disarray. Had Trudeau and his name and hair not come along, Harper would likely still be PM today.
No, I reeeeeally do not think so. The country had entirely had its fill of a PM with a cabinet full of muted, castrated marionettes, the opaque, creepy cryptocracy across a decade (his last-minute Muslim fink line, for instance), and an economy based on prison-building. Mulcair was trending out way ahead of him until, what, September? He probably would have been the first NDP PM of Canada, though it would have been a minority government, if he hadn't signed on and advocated Harper's anti-terrorism extra powers, which turned me and lot of the country off him. We'd had enough of that shit; 9/11 was 14 years over and gone. Trudeau didn't, and that was enough to get me off the fence, and, I think, millions of others. It just grew from there and we became convinced that, yeah, this is our guy. But if he hadn't been there, and Mulcair had sustained showing where he was different from the way the Tories had worn us out for ten years, it would have been him... little doubt in my mind. Till about a month before the election, it was Mulcair's to lose, and hey, he lost it.

@Lone Primate

If Trudeau hadn't become Liberal leader, and had Layton lived and returned to health I'd say we'd get a strong NDP minority. Not so sure under Muclair.

Harper was creepy AF, but I'd rather have Harper vs. Trump than Trudeau vs. Trump. Only Harper had the stones to tell off Putin, and he would have stood up to Trump.

Maxime Bernier with a straight up unhinged and deranged rant today on Twitter about Greta Thunberg, a 16 year-old girl.

Not sure why this is in the Trudeau thread.
When I saw a post here, I thought it was about Trudeau being rejected from Hamilton Labour Day Parade.

I heard from 1 location that it was Grassy Narrows protesters - but maybe others too. I imagine Trudeau is not very popular in Hamilton with the recent announcement of using Chinese steel for a BC LNG pipeline.

Back