News   Apr 25, 2024
 185     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 541     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Opening our borders.
Cozzying up with (alleged) terrorists (Khadr, Boyle, Atwal).
Not giving summer jobs grants to those who don't sign document supporting abortion.

Opening our borders to refugees is "extremism"? Wow.

Khadr: The courts ruled agents of the government breached his Constitutional rights. Perhaps if the matter had gone to trial the settlement would have be less. Maybe. Heck, they just gave 21K to a couple who weren't told how to use a seatbelt in French.
Boyle: How did the government "cozy up"? He's a Canadian citizen and had the right of return. I'm not aware he's even suspected of terrorism (other than the connection to his first wife, whom I'm not sure has been accused of anything). Astonishingly stupid, yes.
Atwal: Not aware.

Hmmm, not giving public money to groups who oppose Canadian law and public policy.

Liberal backbencher accuses his own government of 'pandering' to Sikh separatists

The headline tells the story. This extremist Liberal government must be defeated - they have embarrassed Canada too many times.
Oh, yes. Despite the lowest unemployment in many years, consistent low inflation, constitutional stability, peace, an economy actively attracting the best and brightest from around the world, we must hurry to rid ourselves of the government shepherding this because you and your friends are upset a single nobody in the House of Commons has vented a personal opinion that gets right-wing hyenas yapping and snorting about an issue they otherwise couldn't give one tin sh!t about. Yeah, watch how fast I run.

Not giving summer jobs grants to those who don't sign document supporting abortion.

Access to which is a human right in Canada. What's next, Burl? Championing groups who won't hire black people?

So, while I can't give burloak's posts the time of day; I do feel that taking Trudeau down a peg isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A comedian on netflix just did that, and here's the show via Youtube:

There are a couple of unfairnesses in there..............but .....

Taking any politician down a few notches is always fair game; they're usually the ones trying to convince us they are the smartest person in the room. Many of the things they latch on to as pivotal and horrifying are, as they say in the US, so 'inside the beltway' and of little concern to most normal people.

So, while I can't give burloak's posts the time of day; I do feel that taking Trudeau down a peg isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, friends in Detroit put me onto that yesterday. I thought it was tough but fair. I didn't think his answers were great, but he seemed to be ready, willing, and able to respond to them... still a breath of fresh air relative to Harper. For what it's worth, I have my gripes against Trudeau, too. For one thing, he should have come into the job with a plan put together by his party and said, "Here's how we're doing proportional representation in the next election. If you disagree, you can vote me out and I'm sure the Tories who tend to reap the rewards of first-past-the-post disproportionately will bring it back." Not "Gee, folks, what do you think it should be? Oh, no one's got an answer? Well, I guess I'm saving you all from electing extremists at either end of the political spectrum." Yeah, that was disappointing. And sure, down a peg. I'm okay with that. I just don't think the Grits are doing a bad job. Certainly not one that warrants replacing them with a bunch of people who are running around in open denial they're eagerly pandering to people who want to take the country back to the "good old days" pre-Charter.

Last edited:
Yeah, friends in Detroit put me onto that yesterday. I thought it was tough but fair. I didn't think his answers were great, but he seemed to be ready, willing, and able to respond to them... still a breath of fresh air relative to Harper. For what it's worth, I have my gripes against Trudeau, too. For one thing, he should have come into the job with plan put together by his party and said, "Here's how we're doing proportional representation in the next election. If you disagree, you can vote me out and I'm sure the Tories who tend to reap the rewards of first-past-the-post disproportionately will bring it back." Not "Gee, folks, what do you think it should be? Oh, no one's got an answer? Well, I guess I'm saving you all from electing extremists at either end of the political spectrum." Yeah, that was disappointing. And sure, down a peg. I'm okay with that. I just don't think the Grits are doing a bad job. Certainly not one that warrants replacing them with a bunch of people who are running around in open denial they're eagerly pandering to people who want to take the country back to the "good old days" pre-Charter.

I think the government's performance has been mediocre. An improvement from Harper, sure..........but hardly a sufficiently high bar.

If I had only a choice between the Liberals and Conservatives at the federal level, as currently constituted, there is no question I would prefer the former.

That said, there are other choices.

I look forward to reading the platforms of each of the big 4, and seeing what they put in the proverbial window.

I will be looking for a clear plan to deliver universal pharmacare, meaningful efforts on affordable housing, particularly in Toronto/Vancouver, a credible plan on climate change, protecting considerably more wilderness areas, especially in southern Canada, enhanced gun control and some move towards more credible fiscal policy as well; amongst other things.

I will be looking for a clear plan to deliver universal pharmacare, meaningful efforts on affordable housing, particularly in Toronto/Vancouver, a credible plan on climate change, protecting considerably more wilderness areas, especially in southern Canada, enhanced gun control and some move towards more credible fiscal policy as well; amongst other things.

Well, I'd have to say, I'm on board with pretty much everything you say here... most Canadians would be, I think, generally speaking. My only issue is that last point of yours... "more credible fiscal policy". You need to define just what you mean by "credible" here... I understand you mean believable or realistic, sure. But what's believable or realistic mean to you? Because if it's Ford Nationesque tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts, then frankly, there'd be a lot of cognitive dissonance relative to just about every other item on your wish list. If anything, taxes would probably have to go up to some extent to meet some of those expectations, particularly housing in our larger cities, where it's not cheap to build anymore. As long as you're okay with that, hey, you get my vote.

Well, I'd have to say, I'm on board with pretty much everything you say here... most Canadians would be, I think, generally speaking. My only issue is that last point of yours... "more credible fiscal policy". You need to define just what you mean by "credible" here... I understand you mean believable or realistic, sure. But what's believable or realistic mean to you? Because if it's Ford Nationesque tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts, then frankly, there'd be a lot of cognitive dissonance relative to just about every other item on your wish list. If anything, taxes would probably have to go up to some extent to meet some of those expectations, particularly housing in our larger cities, where it's not cheap to build anymore. As long as you're okay with that, hey, you get my vote.

I have no difficulty with supporting higher taxes, though I suspect the need for that is more at the provincial level than the federal with Ontario having an anomalously low HST rate (13%) as compared to the 15% for all provinces to our east.

Federally, I think the focus should be on thinning the myriad number of loopholes and deductions in the tax code; but there is also room for thoughtful fiscal restraint. That doesn't mean across the board cuts/pay freezes etc.

It does mean we have a lot of questionable spending. I'll afford an example, there is a new program (announced last year I think) to help first-time buyers access a home.

Not sure this is the highest priority......but ok.............except, when you get into the guts of it, because of various requirements and clauses, it essentially precludes helping anyone buy a home worth more than about $575,000.

That shuts out most people in the GTA/Vancouver, certainly any looking for a home due to a planned family (ie a need for 2 or more bedrooms).

So really this is a subsidy to first-time buyers in Winnipeg, where I don't think its justified on the merits. But its still gonna suck up a few hundred million each year, when we're already running a deficit, during a period of economic expansion.

I think there's room to raise tax, be more thoughtful with expenditures, prioritize an enhanced social safety net and greater environmental protection/restoration.

However there is no such room if we defer needed tax hikes, spend on programs few asked for and no one needs. So realistic is simply honest, well-thought out, show some ambition but don't over promise, and admit some sacrifices in the form of tax hikes and also discontinuing low-priority/ineffective programs is in order so that we can finance our priorities

Last edited:

Back