News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 439     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 769     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Interesting assertion- a huge shame that it couldn't be used to restart our steel industry (still smarting from US tariffs). Any deals with China should also be increasingly questioned, especially after recent events.

The Liberal Government Hands $42 Billion in Construction Projects to China at Expense of Canadians
August 21, 2019 16:05 ET Canadian Institute Of Steel Construction (CISC)

The federal government announced on August 9, 2019, that it will be granting full duty remissions on illegally dumped fabricated steel from China to supply two liquid natural gas (LNG) projects located in British Columbia. Their recent action was announced with their assurance that “trade barriers would not be permitted to stand in the way of these historic private sector investments”.

The two projects involved are LNG Canada and Woodfibre LNG, both located on the coast of B.C. The partners in LNG Canada are made up of a consortium of investors of which include China. These two LNG projects will be modularized, meaning they will be built in smaller shippable pieces with all the equipment and components preinstalled. The modules will be connected on site, requiring very few construction workers. Essentially, in doing so, the largest project ever in the history of Canada will be handed over to Chinese businesses and workers.
The duties on fabricated structural steel have been implemented by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) under the Special Import Measure Act (SIMA) after proof that China, South Korea and Spain were found to be illegally dumping into Canada. An appeal of the CITT’s decision is currently still pending in the Federal Court of Appeal.

“The government has called SIMA and the rulings of the CITT ‘trade barriers’ in their announcement! For the Government of Canada to call their own fair trade process a trade barrier is dumbfounding,” says Whalen. This statement will send shock waves across all Canadian industries contemplating future capital investment and their viability in Canada.”

Last fall, the federal government provided $275 million of taxpayers’ money to LNG Canada to encourage the project to go ahead. Interestingly, the maximum duty on steel from China would have been $275 million in total cost.

Last edited:
So basically, Doug is sinking the CPC in Ontario and the NDP can forget about Quebec.

Works for me! Well, less chuffed about the NDP bit, but hey, you take the bad with the good, I guess.

Trudeau and the Liberals somehow gets credit for destroying separatists, although the only separation referendum, and the only separatist PQ election majorities, occurred under the Liberals.

Dude, are you HIGH? Were you AROUND in the 90s, the closest this country has come to flying apart at high speed? It wasn't the Grits who caused that, it was Mulroney trying to go down in history as the guy who one-upped Trudeau, issued Quebec pie-in-the-sky cheques English Canada would NEVER let his butt cash, held a divisive referendum that David Cameron over in Britain SHOULD have read up on, and as a result gave birth to a separatist party at the FEDERAL level that was so powerful it was, for a while, the Official Opposition; gave renewed impetus to a second referendum that came within just over 1% of ending Confederation as we know it, and managed to destroy the federal Progressive Conservative Party into the bargain... the "Progressive" part is still nowhere to be seen. Chretien got elected in the MIDDLE of all that garbage... that's like blaming the janitor for the dump somebody ELSE took on the cafeteria floor before leaving the room.

I'll tell you what brought separatism to heel... inasmuch as it's at least not the existential threat to the country it was from 1970-2000.

The Bi & Bi commission in the 60s, which only JUST in the nick of time finally let francophones feel comfortable working in their federal capital, and led to them seeing at least some semblance of their culture across the country. The fact that Rene Levesque wasn't a madman and he managed to secure French culture within Quebec WITHOUT having to leave Canada to do it, inadvertently demonstrating to just enough of his fellow Quebecois that securing their culture was possible WITHIN Confederation; we should all thank heavens Levesque was an honourable democrat and level-headed most of the time. That the country didn't stick to Dief's "One Canada" model and quietly adopted asymmetrical federalism under Trudeau, giving Quebec certain powers that it, a province demonstrably unique among the rest, could justifiably lay claim to while the others really couldn't... which, again, gave francophones in Quebec the sense that it was possible to have elbow room within Canada. And finally, that time passed, Quebecois got used to feeling secure in Quebec, being able to speak English if they wanted to and have the rest of the country as theirs as well, and the notion that leaving Canada wouldn't really gain them anything anymore, other than a few flags at international organizations... that leaving Canada now would be a net loss. English Canada loosened up enough that Quebecois have just enough room in the country to feel comfortable and at home, and as long as we maintain that, the country's got a future. But it wasn't JUST the Liberals and it wasn't JUST the Tories (THAT's for sure); it was people of good will on all sides, even people who got angry enough to vote to separate but then peacefully reconciled themselves to the result, that did it. I'm proud of the diversity of this country and its ability to have gotten through all of that essentially bloodlessly, though with no small degree of passion on all sides. We came through that trial of fire... several times... and we're still here. There aren't many countries that can say that, and I'm watching the UK right now and wondering if they will. What can I say? I'm getting my documents together to apply for a Scottish passport, just in case.

It's not only Doug hurting CPC chances in Ontario--

Scheer tried to douse a debate on abortion and same-sex marriage--and muddied the waters even more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-abortion-same-sex-marriage-lgbtq-gay-lesbian-1.5264601

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer's appearance at a hotel near the Toronto airport on Thursday afternoon was his first interaction with reporters in more than a week — a gap that coincided with the Liberal Party's decision to resurface video of Scheer talking about same-sex marriage in 2005.

By the time he finally stepped forward, the Liberals had posted another clip — this time raising questions about what Scheer has been telling anti-abortion activists.

Scheer's handlers are idiots. Their immediate and firm response should have been that:

"It's Trudeau that's re-started debate on abortion and same-sex marriage, so ask him why. For us, this issue is closed, Canadians have decided."

In a follow up response to the video Scheer would have then replied:

"it was a time of changing societal views, with much of the country, including myself questioning and debating our views, for example, liberal cabinet ministers, including Lloyd Axworthy voted twice against SSM. The issue is closed for me, for the Cons and for all Canadians, so you need to ask Trudeau why he''s re-opening debate on these matters. Perhaps he's trying to distract us all from SNC, RCMP investigations and ethics violations?".

Any damn fool of a political handler would have written the above, and a good candidate would have delivered it with a smashing blow.

"It's Trudeau that's re-started debate on abortion and same-sex marriage, so ask him why. For us, this issue is closed, Canadians have decided."

Except it isn't. Scheer said what he said precisely BECAUSE there is an audience receptive to re-opening those wounds. There are still a lot of people in this country who are too concerned with the rights other people have to live their own lives in ways they don't happen to agree with, and are all too ready to enforce conformity with their own tight comfort zone if only they get enough power to do so. Don't be fooled. Scheer represents that to them, and if he thinks that's the way to get and hold onto power, he'll get to work on that agenda. The Red Tories of my youth, guys I could have voted for like Clark, Davis, Stanfield, Lougheed, even Diefenbaker—hell, Mulroney, just at the outside—are a thing of the past. These are guys who don't get invited to party functions anymore and haven't been for years (no pun regarding three of them being dead... but that's how long it's been, too!). There's no centre-right left in this country or this province, and there hasn't been for 20 years now.

"Perhaps he's trying to distract us all from SNC, RCMP investigations and ethics violations?"

I'm not excusing those issues, but personally speaking, I'm a LOT more concerned with my constitutional rights in this country than with the scandal-of-the-day. Sooner or later EVERY government steps in shit, no matter which party they are. Scheer's will, too, if he gets elected. The difference is, I'm pretty sure Trudeau's not going to take us back to the 1950s where if you were a white straight man, you did as you pleased, and if you weren't, you did as you were told. Or else.

Last edited:
@Lone Primate Good points, but neither candidate is really speaking to you. Scheer knows you're not a potential Tory voter, and Trudeau knows you're either a default Lib voter or will waste your vote on Greens or Dippers (either way, Trudeau wins). It's the undecided voters that they're speaking too.

@Lone Primate Good points, but neither candidate is really speaking to you. Scheer knows you're not a potential Tory voter, and Trudeau knows you're either a default Lib voter or will waste your vote on Greens or Dippers (either way, Trudeau wins). It's the undecided voters that they're speaking too.
Yes, I suppose. But like I said, I COULD vote Tory. If I'd had the vote in '84, I would have voted for Mulroney (though by the time I did in '88, uh uh). Fiscally responsible? Cool. But please, Tories, start finding someone who's okay with living in THIS century, culturally. Give me an option, like you did my parents.

Back