News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 829     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

At the end of the day, I must be honest and say I have a much more transactional relationship with government. I'll give you my money, you give me services and share a bit of my money with everyone else. As long as you collect funds fairly and spend them wisely I probably don't care about Trudeau's photo ops like this one.

This one only caught my attention because of the perceived contradiction, where the PM espouses gender equality in his government, but chooses a place of worship that practices gender inequality for his photo op. There are plenty of mosques nationwide that do not practice gender inequality, separation perhaps. One of my close colleagues attends mosque and she says the men site on the one side, the women on the other side, separated by only the walking space between the two. This reminds me of my trip to Israel in 2006, where the men and women were separated, but each got to attend the wall with more or less equal access.

But the lives lost weren't spread out evenly. They mostly occurred after the Liberal PM (Martin) put the troops into a much more danger get out area of that country. And it is the latest loss of military lives in the past half century (and in most Canadians lifetime).

True, he must also attend ceremonies for the two great wars. But he should be attending to pay his (and the countries) respects, and not taking the opportunity to smooch and cuddle with his wife.

So Canada should have sent troops to safer areas, and let others risk their lives and fight the Taliban? AoD's comments on your position are well taken.

Also worth remembering that around that same time, Harper was apoplectic that Canada was not sending troops to Iraq.

I'm not buying your distinction between segregation and inequality. Separate but equal?
Sure, they pray side by side. Thus following the religious rules for gender segregation, but treating both equally. Below is an image I believe of the largest mosque in Indonesia, where women and men share equal space and prominence.

masjid_istiqlal.png

My colleague's mosque follows this tradition, and IMO this goes a long way to merging religious requirements with Canada's contemporary values of gender equality. Do you see a downside here?

We have gender segregated bathrooms. That doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Fair enough. I suppose we must accept that inequality and segregation are here to stay. Certainly, within my parents' lifetimes we had organizations that banned indigenous and other "non-preferred" people, and we still have male-only clubs, such as golf courses, and the catholics reserving clergy for men only.

Though, IMO, the optics would have been better had he intentionally located a mosque without gender inequality, apparently that encompasses about half of them.

No, that's not what I said. What I said is shunning communities of new Canadians is a dumb and counter-productive way to fight inequality and segregation. And you're comparing apples and oranges. Allowing Catholics, Jews, Muslims to practice their faiths, as they are constitutionally entitled to do, is not the same as putting up with golf clubs that don't allow Jews or Blacks.

Funny, if it's a young Catholic woman attending church, we assume that she is smart and capable of making her own decisions about her reproductive health, sexual orientation, etc. and we don't assume that her attendance at Mass means that she has been subjugated by some patriarchal hierarchy. Nor do we chastise politicians who attend the annual pancake breakfast at that church, or who actually belong to the congregation. We recognize the freedom of those congregants to worship as they wish, we don't insist that our leaders spurn that church, and we actually assume that the members of the congregation are capable of making up their own minds and we don't tar them all with the same brush. You know, the way it is supposed to work in a democracy.

Yet, in comparison to that young Catholic woman, a young Muslim woman is, as was said by someone else on this thread, assumed to be among misogynists and homophobes when she worships, and somehow the only way to help her is to spurn her community. I'm still quite puzzled how marginalizing this congregation helps her. If we want to actually help her, rather than taking self-serving stands, we should be welcoming and engaging with her faith community, integrating her into Canadian society, ensuring that she does not feel that someone of her faith is somehow less Canadian because people bray and whine if our leaders act towards them the same way they do towards other faiths. In other words, treat her like the young Catholic woman, and assume that her, and her future daughters, will make their own decisions as to the role of women, regardless of what they might be told at Mass or Khutbah.

Sure, they pray side by side. Thus following the religious rules for gender segregation, but treating both equally. Below is an image I believe of the largest mosque in Indonesia, where women and men share equal space and prominence.

My colleague's mosque follows this tradition, and IMO this goes a long way to merging religious requirements with Canada's contemporary values of gender equality. Do you see a downside here?

We have gender segregated bathrooms. That doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Really? You think gender segregated bathrooms are the same thing? Really? Seriously?

Let's just say your advocacy in favour of "separate but equal" is not convincing. On that basis, we could have separate water fountains for whites and other races, and that would be okay if everyone had equal access to water.

What is supposed to do? Act like a feminist and stand up for gender equality instead of doing photo-ops. That is if being a feminism still represents gender equality...

Even to misogynists and homophobes? Gee I wonder how that would look if it came from Stephen Harper...

How does he stand up for gender equality by shunning/ignoring communities of new Canadians? How well has that approach worked in other countries? (not very well at all) Since when has the PM (Trudeau or any one of them before him) shunned religious communities with views that don't all match his/her own? Never, but apparently the practice should have started with this one mosque. Although it's unclear how refusing to have a dialogue with such congregations helps any of the woman who belong to them.

And muslims in this congregation are all misogynists and homophobes? Where is your evidence of that? Using your logic, all Catholics are homophones, and members of a lot of Christian denominations, not to mention other religions, would also qualify as both misogynists and homophobes. Where is your outrage when politicians attend church breakfasts, prayer services, etc.?

I would note, in fact, that all this uproar is over a visit to a mosque. Interesting that people's knickers never got in a knot when our politicians engaged with other religious groups, many of which have practices which are equally questionable.

The banlieues in Paris are a result of decades of horrible policies by the French government not a so-called asinine approach to secularism.

1. The French and European immigration system is very weak compared to the Canadian one. For decades Europe has pretty much had an "everybody stays" policy. Compare that to what my parents had to go through in the 1980s and my wife later on to get to Canada. And then when I immigrated to Germany all I needed was my passport and marriage certificate. In Canada you have a point system that assesses your potential: language skills, education, age, health, criminal history but in Europe none of those things are taken into consideration. In short France and Europe in general took many immigrants with performing very checks on them.

The French Republic is secular and anybody who immigrates there should know and accept that. France should not have to give up its secular values in order to accommodate newcomers. I know many people on this forum will disagree with me but please know that I have lived in both the Middle East and Europe.

2. Most of the North African immigration occurred in France right after the Algerian war of independence, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of Algerians dead. This war was brutal on both ends but was it really wise for France to take in so many Algerians after they killed 5 percent of the country? Would not quite a few of them bear a grudge against France?

You missed my point. I didn't say that the banlieus were the result of secularism, but rather look to the banlieus to see the effect of misguided secularism. To the extent that secularism means the separation of church and state, that there is no official religion, that no religion is favoured over another, and that the state does not impose religion or religious practices on anyone, then I am all in favour of secularism. However, the French model, so-called laïcité which ironically arose from anti-clericalism, has contributed heavily, particularly in the last 10-15 years, towards the margalization of French muslims, and has simply helped isolate numerous muslim women. To name but one recent example, you don't help integrate women into society by banning those who want to wear burkinis from public beaches. In a supposedly free country.

Last edited:
How does he stand up for gender equality by shunning/ignoring communities of new Canadians?
By addressing the issues of gender equality to these "new Canadians" for starters instead of just going there for a photo-op. What if Stephen Harper did the same? The media would have grilled him.

And muslims in this congregation are all misogynists and homophobes? Where is your evidence of that? Using your logic, all Catholics are homophones, and members of a lot of Christian denominations, not to mention other religions, would also qualify as both misogynists and homophobes. Where is your outrage when politicians attend church breakfasts, prayer services, etc.
I was speaking hypothetically about misogynists and homophobes but now that you mention it I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim. I will be the first to tell you that the Catholic church is a giant tax-exempt money making machine. In fact in Germany they are the biggest investor of prime real estate and their opposition to same sex marriage and female priests can be viewed as non-progressive. However you are far from reality if you think that opposition to female priests is the same as forcing women to sit in a balcony are the same thing or that the number of Catholics in the Western world opposing same sex marriage is equal to those of Muslims opposing same sex marriage.

Most Christian majority countries are much more secularized than Muslim majority countries. But you know what the problem is? The Arab world was a lot more secular half a century ago than it is today. Take a look at Egypt when Nasser was at the helm and compare that to the Muslim Brotherhood sweeping elections today. They were making real progress on issues such as gender equality back then whereas now it seems to be regressing. And the left's approach of "see no evil speak no evil" is not particularly helpful. If Justin really wants to make a difference then he should address these issues instead of simply showing up for a photo-op and looking sexy. But hey saying you are a feminist is the cool thing to do and a lot easier than confronting serious problems women are facing. I always said that there is a reason why animals rights activists throw blood on old grannies wearing mink coats and not on leather-wearing biker gangs.

http://angusreid.org/federal-issues-sept2016/

Trudeau's approval rating is the highest it has been since he took office.
What do you expect? He is a media darling and they will never utter a word against him. Do I really have to watch the Rebel in order to see some criticism against Justin.

You missed my point. I didn't say that the banlieus were the result of secularism, but rather look to the banlieus to see the effect of misguided secularism. To the extent that secularism means the separation of church and state, that there is no official religion, that no religion is favoured over another, and that the state does not impose religion or religious practices on anyone, then I am all in favour of secularism. However, the French model, so-called laïcité which ironically arose from anti-clericalism, has contributed heavily, particularly in the last 10-15 years, towards the margalization of French muslims, and has simply helped isolate numerous muslim women. To name but one recent example, you don't help integrate women into society by banning those who want to wear burkinis from public beaches. In a supposedly free country.
The problem has been there for a lot more than the past 10-15 years. From the very beginning it was clear that this was not going to work out since France is a lot more secular than Canada for example. Look at it this way, in France it's a big no no to wear a religious symbol at the work place and this includes a visible crucifix as well. But in order to integrate into French society you need to have a job. My question is how is a Muslim woman expected to find a job if she is wearing a niqab? If she cannot find a job then she cannot integrate probably. You could say that France should change its laws to accommodate but then again why should they? After all it was the immigrants who are in France not vice-versa. There are about 2 million Asians in France but nobody hears about them because they simply adapt, work and pay their taxes. In fact some landlords prefer Asians over native French because of their reputation of paying their rent on time with no bullshit.

You also mention the marginalization of French Muslims but what about the marginalization of the native French? Whenever they try to bring up these issues they are called racists and told to shut up. As a result many have begun to flock to Front National. In fact it was estimated, even before the Charlie Hebdo attacks, that 25-30 percent of Parisian gays would vote for Madame Le Pen. Nonetheless it's pointless to debate for a remedy because the French republic is toast. Decades of bad social, economic and immigration policies have ruined it to the point of no return. Its greatness is far behind itself and what's left is a weak state that is not respected and can't even control its own streets.

We're wandering a bit off-topic................but I'll go with the flow.

I would suggest that the marginalization of minorities in France predates any issue with muslims per se.

Its a long-standing issue that develops out of several different policy choices and widely held beliefs by the broader public as well.

The first of these would be the sincere belief by the French people writ large and by extension their policy makers that everything that makes France, France is sacrosanct.

By which I mean there is not merely a belief that one should learn to speak French; but a strong bias against first or last names that don't look/sound French.

Among the highly educated there is more flexibility, particularly with someone who is visiting or is a temporary (foreign) resident.

But among those who are or would-be citizens of France there is a strong sense of being insulted by the idea that anyone would arrive from outside and not modify their name to reflect
local custom/language.

This is true for people of all backgrounds, including other European ones, though no doubt is more acute in relation to Arab/Muslim/African sounding names, as this is by far the largest and most visible minority community.

Unto to itself, I'm not sure if one can argue the rights/wrongs of the preference, even though it is one I don't share..

It is, however, completely un-tenable in a situation where a large minority was invited/allowed in and not told this was a pre-condition of their acceptance into French society.

Likewise there are clearly overlapping issues around skin colour and other points of difference, not merely the religious one.

Though I can say with confidence that eastern Europeans have not been seemly absorbed into mainstream society in France either, notwithstanding a similar complexion
and religious history.

The banlieu problem has also been magnified for reasons that don't overtly have to do with discrimination per se; which is that they are often separate administrative zones from Paris, proper, or other larger centres as may be the case; and often have lesser resources and investment.

That along with the disproportionate concentration of poverty and state-owned housing, with those awful and discredited Le Corbusier designs......

Makes the problem much more layered an nuanced that one of faith/secularism alone.

Back