News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

As for Italy, they don't even have true PR, and I don't see how picking on a country with an infamously erratic party system has much relevance to debates around electoral reform.

True, Italy has a third FPTP and the rest is a form of PR.

Oh, yeah, that backwater Germany. What a dreadful place. Massive current account surplus. High wage-high export. High quality of life. Wealthy industrialised nation which had to come back from near-destruction twice in the last 100 years.

What. A. Hole.

Germany is a great country! I was just mentioning how they had their election last fall and it took a while to form what seemed to be a straightforward coalition.

You do know what's been happening in Poland lately, right?

Behemoth has a new album in the works! Oh yeah, the right wing Holocaust denial by the government...

Think Putin's a good old strong leader?

He is a dictator! They have an "election" coming up and Putin will probably win with 98% of the vote.

Germany's coalition is far from straightforward. I may have missed it, but the SPD still have to vote on its acceptance and apparently the youth wing is looking to scuttle the whole deal. (Ok, I don't think I missed it.....if I recall correctly, the SPD were to vote on it sometime this month).

Not to worry, as I mentioned, the place will still function as well as ever.

True, Italy has a third FPTP and the rest is a form of PR.
I think it's 40% FPTP, but that makes no difference.

Behemoth has a new album in the works! Oh yeah, the right wing Holocaust denial by the government...
No idea what Behemoth is but I do know that the Polish government is well on its way to being censured by the EU for not upholding its democratic principles.

He is a dictator! They have an "election" coming up and Putin will probably win with 98% of the vote.

Yeah, he will....and do you think that whatever vote he will end up being granted will be a fair reflection of the Russian people's views?

No idea what Behemoth is but I do know that the Polish government is well on its way to being censured by the EU for not upholding its democratic principles.

They are a metal band who tend to cause a lot of controversy there. This slide away from dictatorship is pretty sad considering they didn't emerge from autocratic rule that long ago.

Yeah, he will....and do you think that whatever vote he will end up being granted will be a fair reflection of the Russian people's views?

Putin is still quite popular in Russia, though people who openly oppose him wind up dead...

Germany's coalition is far from straightforward. I may have missed it, but the SPD still have to vote on its acceptance and apparently the youth wing is looking to scuttle the whole deal. (Ok, I don't think I missed it.....if I recall correctly, the SPD were to vote on it sometime this month)

They voted on it this week and the coalition was made official.

At least Scheer didn’t play Mr Dressup in a cynical, tone-deaf attempt to play diaspora politics.

Canada and Mexico will be exempt from the tariffs that Trump is imposing. Part of that hinges on NAFTA negotiations .

He is basically trying to establish a trade deal with the UK if he wins next year.
What?

IF he wins.
IF (and when) the UK leave the EU. (This is still up to parliament and the way it's all going.....oh, man, you guys thought the PC Party of Ontario was a shitshow!)

Sounds like a waste of time to me.

It's a tactic. We're not exempt just yet. Or we'll be expected to give up something else.

What we really should do is look at the products from companies with links to the Republican leadership and apply tariffs to their products for "national security" reasons.

AoD

Back