News   Jul 16, 2024
 163     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 913     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

@kEiThZ will be interested to see the 'package' of changes the Trudeau gov't is unveiling today in regards to foreign students.

While there are some good measures.......as a package, they appear insufficient to make a dent in the problem(s).

What's new:

1698411960090.png

1698411990068.png

These next 2 are good, but...........

1698412046727.png

If the housing requirement comes without the colleges actually building net new housing, it doesn't really change anything.

Meanwhile, the adverse outcomes 'study' ; unless it looks backwards from today, will likely not produce any results for 3-6 years.

Here's the real issue though............no caps...........and.......wait for it....:

1698412171423.png

That's right, the gov't still projects it will bump foreign student totals by another 500,000 on top of current numbers over the next 3 years.

This would seem to give away the ineffectiveness of the proposed changes above.

One final thought, lets put those numbers above in context:

The U.S. has 1.1 Million foreign students on study Visas in their country.

So we already have over 80% of that absolute number and are tracking to exceed it by more than 20%

@kEiThZ will be interested to see the 'package' of changes the Trudeau gov't is unveiling today in regards to foreign students.

While there are some good measures.......as a package, they appear insufficient to make a dent in the problem(s).

What's new:

View attachment 515883

View attachment 515884

These next 2 are good, but...........

View attachment 515885

If the housing requirement comes without the colleges actually building net new housing, it doesn't really change anything.

Meanwhile, the adverse outcomes 'study' ; unless it looks backwards from today, will likely not produce any results for 3-6 years.

Here's the real issue though............no caps...........and.......wait for it....:

View attachment 515886

That's right, the gov't still projects it will bump foreign student totals by another 500,000 on top of current numbers over the next 3 years.

This would seem to give away the ineffectiveness of the proposed changes above.

One final thought, lets put those numbers above in context:

The U.S. has 1.1 Million foreign students on study Visas in their country.

So we already have over 80% of that absolute number and are tracking to exceed it by more than 20%

Wow. They really must have contempt for voters. They don't seem to understand that the absolute numbers are just as problematic as all the quality issues.

Also, it's not just fly by night colleges. A lot of regular institutions have set up rather questionable 1-2 yr programs designed to simply provide a fig leaf of education to students who want a path to residency. So many year long business diplomas. The idea that students are coming here to fill shortages in trades, tech and healthcare is pure nonsense.

Stories like this are going to sink the LPC:

It's one thing for somebody unemployed to be struggling. It's another for somebody employed to not be able to sustain themselves.

I had intended to buy a Condo early next year against an income of $75000.00 annually. I am giving up on that idea and considering renting. What money I would have used for the down payment may instead be put into investments for my retirement.

I have over $100000 for a down payment however the mortgage payments vs my full time income would leave me destitute.

Wow. They really must have contempt for voters. They don't seem to understand that the absolute numbers are just as problematic as all the quality issues.

Also, it's not just fly by night colleges. A lot of regular institutions have set up rather questionable 1-2 yr programs designed to simply provide a fig leaf of education to students who want a path to residency. So many year long business diplomas. The idea that students are coming here to fill shortages in trades, tech and healthcare is pure nonsense.

Agree, 100%

I had intended to buy a Condo early next year against an income of $75000.00 annually. I am giving up on that idea and considering renting. What money I would have used for the down payment may instead be put into investments for my retirement.

I have over $100000 for a down payment however the mortgage payments vs my full time income would leave me destitute.

Shouldn't be an either/or. You can put your savings in a GIC and just wait till 2025 to buy. GICs are now paying more than 5% in some cases.

Also, corrections usually take one full mortgage cycle to bottom. So I wouldn't expect the market to really stabilize till at least the Spring of 2025. Buying now would be premature. There's still plenty of speculators managing huge monthly negative carries, praying and hoping for rates to go back to below 3% in a year. Yet, the BoC is saying that inflation won't be below 2% until 2026. Many of these speculators are either going to run out of hope or cash over next 12 months.

Same. But this government is digging their own grave everyday. I can't believe how much they sought to prop up housing prices, only to end up plummeting the birth rate and creating a housing crisis. That's rank incompetence.
Hoist by their own petard.

So many colleges are essentially selling student visas (aka work permits). It's basically a new head tax. One would think with our history, we would be more sensitive to this.

All I want for Canada is skilled immigrants. Why Trudeau thought scouring the subcontinent of unskilled Timmies and food delivery workers was a good idea flummoxes me. In the 1970s when I emigrated to Canada the newcomers I knew had parents who were engineers and professionals, like my Dad who transferred from the UK office of the madmen-like J Water Thompson to their Toronto office, or my uncle who was an engineer with BP and came to join BP Canada.

What we should be doing is seeking only skilled immigrants, and the embassies should be accrediting qualifications and issuing Canadian government equivalency papers before they accept any immigrants. As for international students, require the schools to provide on-campus housing that does not impact the housing market.

Last edited:
So many colleges are essentially selling student visas (aka work permits). It's basically a new head tax. One would think with our history, we would be more sensitive to this.

In some ways it's even worse. The Colleges and their bloated faculty and staff pocket the fees. The community pays the externalities through higher prices for everything from food to rent. By the way, investigations by Prof Mike Moffat showed that a ton of real estate near post-secondary institutions is usually owned by faculty and staff, which is why their unions and faculty associations usually vote down recommendations on student housing. Nice self-licking ice cream cone they have going.

When the CPC eventually wins a landslide and LPC supporters are wondering why, I hope they remember this moment. They had a shot to do something.

All I want for Canada is skilled immigrants. Why Trudeau thought scouring the subcontinent of unskilled Timmies and food delivery workers was a good idea flummoxes me.

Why do you think?

We don't have enough cheap labour. Without these students half the fast food joints in this country would close. Just imagine the state of the delivery services and fast food places, if the number of students was cut in half even.

What we should be doing is seeking only skilled immigrants, and the embassies should be accrediting qualifications and issuing Canadian government equivalency papers before they accept any immigrants.

They are still taking in skilled labour. It's doing wonders at keeping our tech and professional wages suppressed. Which is why the best and brightest Canadian grads leave for the US.

Their immigration strategy achieves two goals here. Keeps wages down and housing prices up.

As for international students, require the schools to province on-campus housing that does not impact the housing market.

Why would the government do that? They want the housing market to be juiced.

Why? You’re suggesting skyrocketing housing prices are the government’s goal rather than an unintended result of crappy policy. How does a housing crisis benefit the government?
It keeps their base among the boomers wealthy.

Really, the window for many boomers to sell their inflated price homes is closing. The government was giving their base a golden opportunity to leave younger people as bag holders when the music eventually stops.

Last edited:
All I want for Canada is skilled immigrants. Why Trudeau thought scouring the subcontinent of unskilled Timmies and food delivery workers was a good idea flummoxes me. In the 1970s when I emigrated to Canada the newcomers I knew had parents who were engineers and professionals, like my Dad who transferred from the UK office of the madmen-like J Water Thompson to their Toronto office, or my uncle who was an engineer with BP and came to join BP Canada.

When my grandparents came to Canada in the 1960s via Australia they were skilled. My Grandmother was a factory worker and my Grandfather was a Master Electrician.

They actually wanted to come to Canada in 1958 however they were unable. At that time, they were only accepting refugees and immigrants with required skill sets.

In 1958, Canada did not need more electricians however in 1965 that changed and my Grandparents were given the option to come here.

We need something similar now. What is not helping is the Atlantic Pilot Project.

There is an Instagram account for an immigration lawyer who's greatest triumph is telling people about how Indians with no skills got visas! One particular video was about how someone with experience as a store clerk got a visa in Atlantic Canada because of the Atlantic Pilot Project.

The Atlantic Pilot Project is an easy way for people to get a visa in Canada. All they have to do is apply for work with a designated employer in the Maritimes

When my grandparents came to Canada in the 1960s via Australia they were skilled. My Grandmother was a factory worker and my Grandfather was a Master Electrician.

They actually wanted to come to Canada in 1958 however they were unable. At that time, they were only accepting refugees and immigrants with required skill sets.

In 1958, Canada did not need more electricians however in 1965 that changed and my Grandparents were given the option to come here.

We need something similar now. What is not helping is the Atlantic Pilot Project.

There is an Instagram account for an immigration lawyer who's greatest triumph is telling people about how Indians with no skills got visas! One particular video was about how someone with experience as a store clerk got a visa in Atlantic Canada because of the Atlantic Pilot Project.

The Atlantic Pilot Project is an easy way for people to get a visa in Canada. All they have to do is apply for work with a designated employer in the Maritimes

This is the project you're discussing, I assume:

Back