News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 867     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

order of magnitude worse than Bev Oda, and that resulted in her loosing cabinet position.

Trudeau government, like Chretien before, has set the ethical bar so low that anything goes.

order of magnitude worse than Bev Oda, and that resulted in her loosing cabinet position.

Trudeau government, like Chretien before, has set the ethical bar so low that anything goes.

In 2006, Oda paid back $2,200 to taxpayers after the Liberals found that she had incurred nearly $5,500 in limousine rides at the 2006 Juno Awards in Halifax.[12] In 2008, she was accused of hiding over $17,000 of limousine expenses billed to taxpayers.[12]

On April 23, 2012, it was reported that during a 2011 conference on immunization of poor children Oda had refused to stay in the conference hotel (the Grange St. Paul) furnished by hosts.[20] She instead stayed at the Savoy Hotel at a cost of $665 per night for three nights, ordered orange juice at a cost of $16 and hired a limousine to transport her between her new hotel and the conference. She was also charged $250 for smoking in a non-smoking room.[21] The costs incurred were at public expense.[20] Only after widespread media reports of this misuse of public money emerged approximately ten months after the conference did Oda repay the difference in hotel costs but not the limousine costs incurred by her decision.[22] The total amount she paid back after she was exposed by the media was $1,353.81.[23] By April 26, it was announced that Oda had repaid the expenses incurred on the taxi rides as well.[24]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bev_Oda

Low bar, indeed. It only took what, 6 years for the resignation to happen (and that sure wasn't over the limo rides, but for her intransigence regarding her hotel arrangements - basically the media portrayed her as a prissy princess) - and orders of magnitude worse? I don't know much about math...but 5K in limo rides and reimbursing the public coffers for 2K back still left a 3K bill - and that's what, 50% more than the 2K we're talking about.

Anyways, just how difficult is it to source these things? There should be no buts about that sort of thing.

AoD

Last edited:
If we are talking order of magnitude, what about Jason Kenney taking a full MP's salary while he campaigns full time for a job elsewhere?

Well, how about Peter Mackay helicopter ride

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mackay-s-helicopter-story-doesn-t-fly-mps-say-1.1121363
http://www.ctvnews.ca/harper-defends-peter-mackay-s-helicopter-use-1.735073

32K/hour - 150K total and over the objection of Department of Defence - now that's the kind of order-of-magnitude costs and ethical bankruptcy we're talking about. Did you call for then Minster's resignation Burloak?

AoD

Last edited:
And then Mackay lied about it. And then, if we're talking order of magnitude, let's not forget Tony Clement who transformed large portions of the G8 budget into a slush fund which he then lavishly spread around his riding with little to no public input or oversight. Anyone who talks about ethical bars, but only talks Chretien and Trudeau while skipping over the Harper years, is just willfully blind.

Look, I don't think the $1700 limo fare was appropriate. But it annoys me the degree to which public discourse focuses on limo fares and orange juice, while real issues with immeasurably more impact get ignored. Plus sad people wearing tin foil hats who are stuck in echo chambers tend to get hysterical about sideshows like limo fares and orange juice, but only to the extent it allows them to grind their political axes (so the limo ride or the orange juice is a non-issue or a scandal depending on who charged it). The Canadian Taxpayers Federation, despite its many other shortcomings, is at least consistent in that they complain about limo fares and orange juice, but are usually non-partisan about it in that they don't see themselves as glorified cheerleaders.

Last edited:
Look, I don't think the $1700 limo fare was appropriate. But it annoys me the degree to which public discourse focuses on limo fares and orange juice, while real issues with immeasurably more impact get ignored. Plus sad people wearing tin foil hats who are stuck in echo chambers tend to get hysterical about sideshows like limo fares and orange juice, but only to the extent it allows them to grind their political axes (so the limo ride or the orange juice is a non-issue or a scandal depending on who charged it). The Canadian Taxpayers Federation, despite its many other shortcomings, is at least consistent in that they complain about limo fares and orange juice, but are usually non-partisan about it in that they don't see themselves as glorified cheerleaders.

Personally I found the juice is expensive, but defensible. The change in hotel room on the other hand wasn't (especially since there is a perfectly serviceable and paid for option available). Minor details that, but an important one.

AoD

How can we forget about the $750,000,000+ the Harper government spent on ads marketing itself over the course of 8 years, especially the flurry of taxpayer-funded ads they shamelessly unleashed before the last election?

Philpott would need to take 440,000+ limo rides to come close to that kind of expenditure. Bev Oda would have had to have ordered almost 4700000 glasses of orange juice.

I kind of wish that Trudeau had that supermajority.

I kind of don't- not that it matters given the state of the opposition, but supermajority aren't that healthy.

It will be interesting to see if the revelation of late around inappropriate spending will have traction.

AoD

Postmedia is trying to push this story because they desperately need the attention. Does the average person care?

Back