News   Aug 07, 2024
 428     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 682     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 484     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Patty Hadju had to field a lot of questions about this at today’s press briefing.

I happen to oppose the creation of this holiday.

To be clear, I'm entirely pro-reconciliation, but I don't believe this day contributes to that in the least; I also oppose the idea of any holiday being mournful in nature (yes, I oppose remembrance day, as a statutory holiday on the same grounds).
To me, a holiday is so people can take a day off work, enjoy themselves, see their families and friends, sleep in, and have an excuse to throw a party. This, is not that.
Remembrance and self-reflection are good; that's what school should be for; what TV specials should be for; what a brief moment of silence should observe or commemorate...........

All of the above as a rather long-winded intro to........

But if you're going to make a day about self-reflecting, cultural learning, and reaching out.............as a leader, when you're the one who created said day.............you really ought to show up for some type of ceremony or activity in line w/your creation.
Particularly when its the very first time; and when you had explicit invitations for such activities from at least two First Nations communities.

To do otherwise.....is.........at the very least, rather bad optics; and certainly seems a wee bit hypocritical. "Hold my flag at half-mast.......I just have to catch this wave off the west coast, I'll be right back"

It's great that the media made the day about what Trudeau is doing, rather than focus on the meaning of the day.
And now people are falsely running with the story that he's off surfing, despite participating in a ceremony in Ottawa before leaving and doing zoom calls with survivors.
Guess quiet reflection isn't good optics.

I happen to oppose the creation of this holiday.

To be clear, I'm entirely pro-reconciliation, but I don't believe this day contributes to that in the least; I also oppose the idea of any holiday being mournful in nature (yes, I oppose remembrance day, as a statutory holiday on the same grounds).
To me, a holiday is so people can take a day off work, enjoy themselves, see their families and friends, sleep in, and have an excuse to throw a party. This, is not that.
Remembrance and self-reflection are good; that's what school should be for; what TV specials should be for; what a brief moment of silence should observe or commemorate...........

All of the above as a rather long-winded intro to........

But if you're going to make a day about self-reflecting, cultural learning, and reaching out.............as a leader, when you're the one who created said day.............you really ought to show up for some type of ceremony or activity in line w/your creation.
Particularly when its the very first time; and when you had explicit invitations for such activities from at least two First Nations communities.

To do otherwise.....is.........at the very least, rather bad optics; and certainly seems a wee bit hypocritical. "Hold my flag at half-mast.......I just have to catch this wave off the west coast, I'll be right back"

I'm in full support of this day, as I am of Remembrance Day so there certainly may be some bias here (in my response). I'd say it's far more than a wee bit hypocritical - it's about as hypocritical as one can get given his position and previous words.

This is why so many people have trouble seeing Trudeau as anything but a politician with little depth and sincerity.

It's great that the media made the day about what Trudeau is doing, rather than focus on the meaning of the day.
And now people are falsely running with the story that he's off surfing, despite participating in a ceremony in Ottawa before leaving and doing zoom calls with survivors.
Guess quiet reflection isn't good optics.

There was plenty of coverage in the media over the actual day. Given he's the Prime Minister and his words about reconciliation, his deciding to go on vacation is fair game. I'm glad they reported it.

A lot of First Nations communities seem to be glad it was brought to light as well.

If he'd done his duty/lived up to his words there'd be no vacation to report.

I'm in full support of this day, as I am of Remembrance Day so there certainly may be some bias here. I'd say it's far more than a wee bit hypocritical - it's about as hypocritical as one can get given his position and previous words.

This is why so many people have trouble seeing Trudeau as anything but a politician with little depth and sincerity.

You'll get no argument from me that he comes off as vapid and insincere.

If he'd done his duty/lived up to his words there'd be no vacation to report.

Nah, he was at the ceremony in Ottawa the night before. He did calls with survivors. He did all he had to do IMO.
If he wanted to take the afternoon to be with his family on a day of remembrance and thought, especially considering the anniversary of his father's death and his late brothers birthday, rather than trying to be front and centre, more power to him.

But conservatives are really upset they lost the election, so they need to hang him on something I guess, pretending he's surfing.

Nah, he was at the ceremony in Ottawa the night before. He did calls with survivors. He did all he had to do IMO.
If he wanted to take the afternoon to be with his family on a day of remembrance and thought, especially considering the anniversary of his father's death and his late brothers birthday, rather than trying to be front and centre, more power to him.

But conservatives are really upset they lost the election, so they need to hang him on something I guess, pretending he's surfing.

As a Prime Minister it was very far from all he had to do.

This is not a Conservative vs Liberal nor left vs right issue. It's one of accountability and living up to one's words. He failed on both counts.

Even assuming there weren't Indigenous communities holding events, many of whom invited him to share the day with him, the optics of this would be bad.

What did he say about this day that he didn't do? This is absolutely the right getting hard after their big loss.

I have no idea what this means.

If he's as serious about truth and reconciliation as he claims then he would've participated in at least some of the events he was invited to.

As a Prime Minister it was very far from all he had to do.

This is not a Conservative vs Liberal nor left vs right issue. It's one of accountability and living up to one's words. He failed on both counts.

Even assuming there weren't Indigenous communities holding events, many of whom invited him to share the day with him, the optics of this would be bad.
The whole idea of the day and its chosen date were closely organized by the Trudeau Liberals. Why the heck would he then take the day off? J#sus.

If only his Father didn't die a few days before, and his dead brothers birthday wasn't also a few days after. This whole mess could have been avoided.

Back