News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Speculation as to why Harper has not yet resigned seems to have focused thus far on three possible explanations:

1. If he resigned as MP, he could then be compelled to testify at the Duffy trial as he could no longer claim parliamentary privilege. (I don't know if this is true, but iPolitics seems to think it is)

2. He will resign when he is good and ready, and is avoiding the optics of resigning as a defeated leader.

3. The Tories do not want a by-election held in Calgary Heritage when Trudeau might possibly still be in a honeymoon period and/or the Liberals are doing well in the polls. While it should be a safe riding, then even want to avoid a situation where the Liberals come in a respectable second place.

Those are the explanations I've read. Any theories that I missed?

Speculation as to why Harper has not yet resigned seems to have focused thus far on three possible explanations:

1. If he resigned as MP, he could then be compelled to testify at the Duffy trial as he could no longer claim parliamentary privilege. (I don't know if this is true, but iPolitics seems to think it is)

2. He will resign when he is good and ready, and is avoiding the optics of resigning as a defeated leader.

3. The Tories do not want a by-election held in Calgary Heritage when Trudeau might possibly still be in a honeymoon period and/or the Liberals are doing well in the polls. While it should be a safe riding, then even want to avoid a situation where the Liberals come in a respectable second place.

Those are the explanations I've read. Any theories that I missed?

One theory: he won't resign.

Harper's a career politician. This is what he lives for. I think he will keep quiet for a period of time. If a red tory is chosen as the next leader, he'll be an agitator in caucus for the reform wing. I think there's a real possibility that he'll be the next Diefenbaker and remain an MP until he dies.

According to Election Atlas, the Liberals did make a decent gain in the riding, despite not coming close to winning.

One theory: he won't resign.

Harper's a career politician. This is what he lives for. I think he will keep quiet for a period of time. If a red tory is chosen as the next leader, he'll be an agitator in caucus for the reform wing. I think there's a real possibility that he'll be the next Diefenbaker and remain an MP until he dies.

While anything is possible, I don't personally think this is going to happen. Diefenbaker served as a model that no former leader wants to emulate. Harper's already announced he and Laureen are moving back to Calgary, and this is his time to sit on boards, etc., do very little and make lots of money. I'm guessing Harper will be gone sometime in 2016.

I haven't toked up in a long time and have no plans to do so again, but I am so glad that the Reefer Madness people are in official opposition now.

No f*cking kidding. On that file, they acted like a bunch of crazed 1870s temperance advocates while in power. Harper never looked more clueless than when he made his “infinitely worse” comments.

They have a holiday to celebrate The Queen's Official Birthday in the United Kingdom (its celebrated on a Saturday between June 11 and 17), Queen Elizabeth's actual birthday is April 21). Canada does not. However, in Canada and most of the rest of the world, in honour of Justin Trudeau, we're having a holiday to celebrate Justin's birthday, December 25. Kiddin'. :)

Back