News   Apr 25, 2024
 372     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Yeah, he's always been a bit deranged. As a former minister, shouldn't he know that Harrington Lake is a prime ministerial retreat for all prime ministers?

For some reason, a lot of people are so partisan that they forget about any future PM having to deal with a bunch of run down official residences. Trudeau won't be PM forever and some Conservative will hold the position in the future. Do they want to live in a home that reeks of cat urine?

For some reason, a lot of people are so partisan that they forget about any future PM having to deal with a bunch of run down official residences. Trudeau won't be PM forever and some Conservative will hold the position in the future. Do they want to live in a home that reeks of cat urine?

I wonder if it would be cheaper to implode it and rebuild it.

It can be cheaper, yes. But it would have to probably be built to a lesser standard, which I think is just pathetic for our society to not afford a bit of class to our leaders.

It's really pathetic jealousy and miserly behaviour not fit for consideration.

I had an interesting casual discussion with an MP over a year ago and it turned to 24 Sussex. He was of the view that it should be completely in the hands of the NCC but successive governments have fought against the image of 'spending money on themselves'. Initially, I felt that a renovation would retain the national heritage aspect but then realized that we bought it from a guy in the 1940s. A big part of me says it should be torn down and start anew, but I can't image what a building designed or approved by a government committee would look like after every single cultural sensibility is pacified. The old saying 'a camel is a horse designed by committee' comes to mind, or perhaps the Okapi:

1587566184870.png

The thing to do here is expressly reach out for all-party consent, to renovate or rebuild; and do so with a schedule that shows the PM at the time of approval will never be the occupant, so it seems less self-interested.

Trudeau would get a massive majority with those numbers.

He would, though to be fair he shouldn't; in as much as no political party should get majority power without a true majority of the votes.

Unsurprising results.

He's been competent, not stellar through all this.

But with a comparison to the U.S. in people's minds on the one hand........

And to Andrew Scheer on the other..

Its no shock his numbers are up.

Last edited:
He would, though to be fair he shouldn't; in as much as no political party should get majority power without a true majority of the votes.

Unsurprising results.

He's been competent, not stellar through all this.

But with a comparison to the U.S. in people's minds on the one hand........

And to Andrew Scheer on the other..

Its no shock his numbers are up.

Totally agreed - our electoral system needs serious reform. No majority without a majority of votes should be possible.

As for Trudeau, what would you like to see from him that would make his performance stellar?

Totally agreed - our electoral system needs serious reform. No majority without a majority of votes should be possible.

As for Trudeau, what would you like to see from him that would make his performance stellar?

1) Less evasive answering. I don't mean omitting nuance. I mean simply saying 'I don't know' or 'We're not prepared to discuss that yet' rather than long-winded non-answers.

2) Finish rolling out the programs to address financial loss already, this drips n' drabs business isn't reasonable. Its entirely clear that many of these decisions have been taken as a group by cabinet and are being announced over multiple days for political reasons. This means depriving people of information that would be useful in the here and now; and not providing as clear a picture as is practical.

3) Begin the process of describing what the end game looks like, in consultation w/the Premiers (and it goes w/out saying, the experts). That doesn't mean hard dates for everything where that is premature. But it does mean revealing forward thinking and giving people something to look forward to.

ie. when the R-Factor (reproduction rate of the virus is less than 1, and the number of deaths is below 'x' per day etc. we will begin to reopen services/businesses etc. The exact day will vary by region, based on figures there, but considering the national situation)

That to me would elevate a decent performance to a very good one.

Last edited:
A big part of me says it should be torn down and start anew, but I can't image what a building designed or approved by a government committee would look like after every single cultural sensibility is pacified.
Any guesses as to which Indigenous tribe the new house would be named after?

1) Less evasive answering. I don't mean omitting nuance. I mean simply saying 'I don't know' or 'We're not prepared to discuss that yet' rather than long-winded non-answers.

2) Finish rolling out the programs to address financial loss already, this drips n' drabs business isn't reasonable. Its entirely clear that many of these decisions have been taken as a group by cabinet and are being announced over multiple days for political reasons. This means depriving people of information that would be useful in the here and now; and not providing as clear a picture as is practical.

3) Begin the process of describing what the end game looks like, in consultation w/the Premiers (and it goes w/out saying, the experts). That doesn't mean hard dates for everything where that is premature. But it does mean revealing forward thinking and giving people something to look forward to.

ie. when the R-Factor (reproduction rate of the virus is less than 1, and the number of deaths is below 'x' per day etc. we will begin to reopen services/businesses etc. The exact day will vary by region, based on figures there, but considering the national situation"

That to me would elevate a decent performance to a very good one.

Thanks for that - I knew I could count on you to provide well thought out points.

Maks much more sense to stagger these announcements and not overload the public service all at once.

The thing to do here is expressly reach out for all-party consent, to renovate or rebuild; and do so with a schedule that shows the PM at the time of approval will never be the occupant, so it seems less self-interested.

One can only hope. Such a logic should apply to many areas of government spending, including defence, coast guard, VIA and general government capital infrasctructure because they are inherently beyond any given government's term. Alas, the calculus on all sides is determined by votes and regions, and committees and agencies are at the pleasure of the government in power.

Back