News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

As with the protests i don't see this ending well what ever he does people will be upset and to add some Americans are aprt of it which will make things more complex.
If Trudeau announced today that he has met with the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and has today obtained Coastal GasLink's (with some further tax incentives) agreement to the chief's requested routing change, this would be over by dinner time, and to pretty much everyone's satisfaction.

There is no option here. It's unceded Wet’suwet’en territory, we can't just send in the bulldozers with RCMP or CAF muscle. It'll make Oka seem like a walk in then park. The Wet’suwet’en are not against the pipeline, they just want its routing to respect their wishes. Seems like a no brainer to me, get it done Justin.

If Trudeau announced today that he has met with the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and has today obtained Coastal GasLink's (with some further tax incentives) agreement to the chief's requested routing change, this would be over by dinner time, and to pretty much everyone's satisfaction.

There is no option here. It's unceded Wet’suwet’en territory, we can't just send in the bulldozers with RCMP or CAF muscle. It'll make Oka seem like a walk in then park. The Wet’suwet’en are not against the pipeline, they just want its routing to respect their wishes. Seems like a no brainer to me, get it done Justin.

Its complex as the elected chief and band members as well as most of the people on the reserve support the pipeline while its the whites in Toronto/Ottawa and Montreal trying to tell Natives whats best for them.

Its complex as the elected chief and band members as well as most of the people on the reserve support the pipeline while its the whites in Toronto/Ottawa and Montreal trying to tell Natives whats best for them.
Elected chief and band leadership is a construct of the Indian Act, so their legitimacy is in question. Note that we're not seeing the elected chiefs and band leadership denouncing the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs.

But that larger question doesn't matter, as the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs ALSO support the pipeline. They just want its route adjusted.

Elected chief and band leadership is a construct of the Indian Act, so their legitimacy is in question. Note that we're not seeing the elected chiefs and band leadership denouncing the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs.

But that larger question doesn't matter, as the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs ALSO support the pipeline. They just want its route adjusted.

The bigger issue is the anti pipeline people Canada wide that have made it clear they won't stop protesting untill the pipeline is cancelled.

The bigger issue is the anti pipeline people Canada wide that have made it clear they won't stop protesting untill the pipeline is cancelled.
N'ah, those folks don't stand a chance once the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs are on side. Radical environmentalists are using FNs, and I think the latter will become tired of it.

Like either Trudeau actually does reconciliation and reforms the Indian act .

You cant have this situation where you have federal laws that are quite outdated trying to make nice with rather subjective and hazy indegnious customs...

Trudeau just opened a can of worms with reconciliation but not actually doing reconciliation where it counts.

Lol that is some real stupidity...

So who speaks for these people?

The elected members or some random people saying they are in charge due to custom.

Seems like a can of worms

So who speaks for these people?
I imagine it differs across all FN, since historically outside of their direct neighbours they wouldn't have know about each other. So we need to look specifically at the traditions of the Wet’suwet’en nation. As we're not seeing the Wet’suwet’en's elected leadership denouncing the hereditary chiefs, I would deduce that the nation defers to the decisions of the hereditary chiefs.

It's not a can of worms. Just move the pipeline routing to that required by the Wet’suwet’en and you're all set. They're not against pipelines.

I imagine it differs across all FN, since historically outside of their direct neighbours they wouldn't have know about each other. So we need to look specifically at the traditions of the Wet’suwet’en nation. As we're not seeing the Wet’suwet’en's elected leadership denouncing the hereditary chiefs, I would deduce that the nation defers to the decisions of the hereditary chiefs.

It's not a can of worms. Just move the pipeline routing to that required by the Wet’suwet’en and you're all set. They're not against pipelines.
Nah you forget the outisde protestors that are there that hijacked this debate and now see they can shut down rail systems with impunity in the future.

Prime minister has no real leadership qualities to deal with such a issue....

So I think he just has opened a can of worms in how these issues will be resolved in the future and think no pipelines will be built and will be in a period of malaise with bickering and protests now.

Last edited:
Now this is the danger of inaction by government......... and of action which sparks a backlash. I don't endorse or condone this, but I offer up that there will likely be more of this, as this drags on.

1582152180906.png

So, will Mmmkay blame another intern for his now deleted tweet praising vigilante violence? I get that Trudeau has issues, but the CPC aren't helping their own cause here...

Maybe not, but it came way too close to endorsing such behavior. He said two rednecks in a truck were doing a good thing. Just think of the optics of vigilante behavior and people using cars as weapons. Maybe he was trying to come across as a "law & order" guy, but I think we all remember what a mad person can do with a rental van.

Back