938     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 771     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

We're number 2!!

U.S. News Ranks 2020 Best Countries
The fifth edition of the global survey shows long-term worries over inequality, technology and climate change – and a precipitous fall in the world’s trust of the United States.

From link.

Switzerland remains the best country in the world, though Canada has moved up to the second spot in the U.S. News 2020 Best Countries rankings.

For Switzerland, it's the the fourth consecutive year the island of neutrality in Central Europe has been judged No. 1 by residents of 36 countries. Canada was chosen second, overtaking Japan in the fifth annual survey.

The Best Countries report, produced from an annual global survey of more than 20,000 people in 36 countries that includes the United States, reflects increasingly negative views of the world and within countries. Nearly half of survey respondents say conditions around the world have worsened in the past year. Likewise, an increased percentage of people say the gap between the rich and poor has grown and that nationalism is increasing.

1579111091035.png

This year's report is the fifth edition of the global survey that debuted in January 2016. U.S. News used this year's survey to examine more than countries' standings in rankings, but trends that have emerged since 2016. Among the most noteworthy findings:

1579111147829.png

Compared to 2019, more people in this year's Best Countries report say that the global economy is in decline, that nationalism is on the rise and that the gap between the rich and the poor is growing. Those sentiments are part of a larger narrative in which political scientists say worries are growing over an increasingly unstable world. Last week, the Eurasia Group rated this year's U.S. presidential election as the world's top risk.

In Asia, concerns are growing of an increasingly institutionalized Cold War between the U.S. and China, says Zhang Baohui, professor of political science and director of the Centre for Asian-Pacific Studies at Lingnan University in Hong Kong. "Hot spots like the Taiwan Strait and the South China Sea would be more likely to trigger military conflicts between the two countries," Zhang said by email.

In Europe, the public mood is increasingly anxious about climate change, employment and migration, says Karel Lannoo, CEO of the Centre for European Policy Studies, a nonpartisan think tank based in Brussels. But larger worries are whether countries can work together to preserve geopolitical stability, Lannoo says.

"Compare the mood around the world today, compare this to 30 years ago, right after the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was a very hopeful world; we are at the end of that cycle. It is a less free world, with more illiberal democracies."

The Best Countries report and subsequent rankings are based on how people's perceptions define countries in terms of a number of qualitative characteristics. The 2020 report focuses on global perceptions of 73 nations.

The rankings are formed in partnership between U.S. News & World Report, BAV Group (a unit of global marketing communications company VMLY&R) and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. The rankings include 65 metrics.

The survey's results show respondents reward stability, transparency and equality, say analysts. Switzerland and Canada rank second and third, respectively, as the best countries to conduct business, trailing only Luxembourg. The U.S., by contrast, ranks 45th among the 73 countries assessed in that category.

Canada is seen as the world's most transparent country, followed by Nordic countries Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Switzerland ranks No. 5, while the U.S. improved one spot from 2019 to rank No. 18.

Seven of the top 10 countries overall also rank among the top 10 countries for gender equality, including No. 8 Sweden that is seen as the best country for gender equality.

Approximately 90% of survey respondents agreed with the statement that women should have the same rights as men. But just 64% say women actually enjoy the same economic opportunities as men in their country.

Nearly 4 out of 5 respondents agreed that LGBTQ individuals should be entitled to the same rights as non-LGBTQ individuals, with women (82%) agreeing more than men (76%), and 18- to 24-year-olds registering the highest share of sentiment that strongly agrees with that view (37.4%).

Meanwhile, the U.S. enters a presidential election year with its people and politics highly polarized. Last week, Eurasia Group, a political risk and consulting firm, rated the U.S. domestic politics as the world's top global risk, the first time America has entered into the group's top five worldwide risks.

In a separate global survey, Pew found earlier this month that opinions of the U.S. are generally positive, but that views of President Donald Trump remains low. Those negative views are especially strong in Western European countries.

Lol Patrick brazeau is a low life criminal thug.

It's not feat of accomplishment.

Guy is a beta male though but to some it's what makes him likeable and to many and why he is disliked.

It's just his personality..I am no fan of alpha males but a majority of the dislike about Trudeau is his personality.

Can this not be said of every politician?

Lol Patrick brazeau is a low life criminal thug.

It's not feat of accomplishment.

Guy is a beta male though but to some it's what makes him likeable and to many and why he is disliked.

It's just his personality..I am no fan of alpha males but a majority of the dislike about Trudeau is his personality.

Trudeau managed to own a "thug" in a way he wasn't expected to - the thesis that he is a "beta"? In the sewers. I couldn't care less what you are/aren't a fan of. And seriously, what do you think this forum is, 4(8)chan? :rolleyes:

AoD

Last edited:
I think I have seen a poll somewhere in the past that showed that there was a generational link indicating that the younger generation associated with the provincial level the least, with Quebec being obvious exception.

Yeah, well, I'm an old soul so that explains that. ?

Trudeau managed to own a "thug" in a way he wasn't expected to - the thesis that he is a "beta"? In the sewers. I couldn't care less what you are/aren't a fan of. And seriously, what do you think this forum is, 4(8)chan? :rolleyes:

AoD

Brazeau's a beta male as well.....wasn't he in legal trouble for beating on his gf? That's punk angry little boy material right there. :p

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're so upset about.....alpha/beta psychological profiles are pretty legit, if probably extremely simplified. Whether or not they should be used in a disparaging way is a seperate issue, sure.

Why is Tunisia so low?! Dammit, have my purchases of their olive oils not been enough to buy some good PR?
Their government was among the most progressive and democratic in the region, and consequently, they in recent years were a favorite target of reactionaries. Many terrorist attacks on their soil have basically killed their tourism industry, which was a significant part of their economy, as I understand it.

Yeah, well, I'm an old soul so that explains that. ?
I guess so :p

Their government was among the most progressive and democratic in the region, and consequently, they in recent years were a favorite target of reactionaries. Many terrorist attacks on their soil have basically killed their tourism industry, which was a significant part of their economy, as I understand it.

I understand the recent history but that ranking was based on people's opinion of a place. I have a rather good opinion of Tunisia myself in spite of all the religious psychopaths blowing people up for brownie points with the imaginary ghost dude.

Brazeau's a beta male as well.....wasn't he in legal trouble for beating on his gf? That's punk angry little boy material right there. :p

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're so upset about.....alpha/beta psychological profiles are pretty legit, if probably extremely simplified. Whether or not they should be used in a disparaging way is a seperate issue, sure.

Alpha males as leaders are very toxic too really.

Alpha males as leaders are very toxic too really.

That's an interesting statement.

You made me revisit the use of the term..........

From Wikipedia:

In studies of social animals, the highest ranking individual is sometimes designated as the alpha. Males, females, or both, can be alphas, depending on the species. Where one male and one female fulfill this role together, they are sometimes referred to as the alpha pair.

This would appear to suggest that the term 'alpha' is most often applied to any male (or female) having reached a position of high power or prestige in politics, or business/profession.

Of course, the term is often used to distinguish people who fancy themselves a success or imagine they will be the leader..............

That's an interesting statement.

You made me revisit the use of the term..........

From Wikipedia:

In studies of social animals, the highest ranking individual is sometimes designated as the alpha. Males, females, or both, can be alphas, depending on the species. Where one male and one female fulfill this role together, they are sometimes referred to as the alpha pair.

This would appear to suggest that the term 'alpha' is most often applied to any male (or female) having reached a position of high power or prestige in politics, or business/profession.

Of course, the term is often used to distinguish people who fancy themselves a success or imagine they will be the leader..............

The problem here is that the use of alpha/beta as a serious term of discussion of social behaviour is very, very different from the use of these qualifiers as insults or as a way to denigrate others. Given the amount of care that phrase is being thrown around by the OP, I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

AoD

The problem here is that the use of alpha/beta as a serious term of discussion of social behaviour is very, very different from the use of these qualifiers as insults or as a way to denigrate others. Given the amount of care that phrase is being thrown around by the OP, I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

AoD

She's just young and carefree!!! :)

It seems to me Trudeau's true personality is more of a chameleon to simply keep a solid base of support of 33% and he could he care less what the other 66 % of the country thinks.

Before he would be insanely politically correct, he would shed tears on command and pretty take any opportunity to dress up in a cultural outfit...That ended up backfiring overtime to people not taking him seriously and making him personally unpopular in many parts of the country. The only reason why the liberals did not get a majority was because of Trudeau, as I think the liberal's policies were quite popular with people.

Now he has a beard and is now more reserved and I imagine the powers to be in the liberal party have given him a 'talk".

Back