116     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 507     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Good job news.

Good job news.

Better than it looks like at first blush too.

The increase in jobs was made up entirely of full-time employment as there was no change in the number of part-time jobs.

Year-over-year average hourly wage growth for all employees, a key indicator monitored by the Bank of Canada ahead of its interest-rate decisions, 2.8 per cent in May, up from 2.5 per cent in April.

These numbers are better than what's embedded in the provincial/federal budgets. I think the Q1 numbers for those (not out till late summer) will be very interesting.

Edit: Just looked at the provincial breakdown. Only Newfoundland and PEI went the wrong way. Prairies and Quebec held steady. Nice improvements in NS and NB. BC staying red hot, lowest unemployment in the country at 4.3%

But the big number here is Ontario.......from 6.0% down to 5.2%!

Toronto also improved dropping from 6.6% to 6.3% (that seems high given the Ontario number)

Can someone explain Barrie to me? No, seriously..... 7.3% unemployment, highest I saw in Ontario.

Last edited:
Better than it looks like at first blush too.

The increase in jobs was made up entirely of full-time employment as there was no change in the number of part-time jobs.

Year-over-year average hourly wage growth for all employees, a key indicator monitored by the Bank of Canada ahead of its interest-rate decisions, 2.8 per cent in May, up from 2.5 per cent in April.

These numbers are better than what's embedded in the provincial/federal budgets. I think the Q1 numbers for those (not out till late summer) will be very interesting.

Edit: Just looked at the provincial breakdown. Only Newfoundland and PEI went the wrong way. Prairies and Quebec held steady. Nice improvements in NS and NB. BC staying red hot, lowest unemployment in the country at 4.3%

But the big number here is Ontario.......from 6.0% down to 5.2%!

Toronto also improved dropping from 6.6% to 6.3% (that seems high given the Ontario number)

Can someone explain Barrie to me? No, seriously..... 7.3% unemployment, highest I saw in Ontario.

How much of that "full-time employment" is made up of contract jobs with no access to benefits or vacation?

Also, Barrie is a hole in the ground. Aside from maybe Sudbury, it's the worst city with a population over 100,000.

Took them long enough! I was discussing that with my dad a few weeks ago and commented on how bad people were with single use plastics. The last three times we went out for dinner, they used paper straws and I also saw them in Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Prepare for more endless studies, pledges for change (that are never fulfilled) and best of all, the extrajudicial multi-billion dollar lawsuits that y'all are gonna be paying for.

Remember how the Trudeau government basically opened the doors to endless litigation by the reserves when they passed legislation that the government would pay all costs for any claims brought against them by indigenous groups? It ain't gonna stop, at least not under the Liberals.

Feds would ‘absolutely’ support OAS probe into MMIWG report’s allegation of genocide: Bennett

On another front- wonder why Canada didn't just model its legalization after other jurisdictions?

How Canada 'blew' its chance to be the world's pot leader
Kristine Owram, Bloomberg News, June 10, 2019

Canada “blew it” on cannabis legalization and is rapidly losing ground to the U.S. as a result, according to the founder of one of the top investment bankers to the industry.

A lack of policy innovation, a messy patchwork of provincial regulations and severe restrictions on marketing and branding have left Canadian pot companies eating the Americans’ dust, according to Neil Selfe, founder and chief executive officer of Infor Financial Group Inc.
“I think we had a real chance to be global leaders,” Selfe said in an interview at Bloomberg’s Toronto office. Yet eight months after Canada legalized recreational cannabis, Selfe sees Canopy Growth Corp. as the only Canadian pot company he would classify as a global leader, with big U.S.-focused firms outpacing the rest even though marijuana is still illegal at the federal level.

Last edited:
Just endless complaints.
Endless complaints was what was happening before. Now with the government paying for their lawyers, these complaints have already turned into lawsuits (and appeals). They can sue for any ridiculous amounts of money and land, and tie up the legal system in doing so- are you ready for the inevitable class action lawsuits from the bands claiming genocide, and for other countries to decide that we have to pay retributions?

To be fair, I support litigation as a way of forcing action in an otherwise complacent government, but this goes way too far.

Now's the time folks to buy stock in Alcan, as we're going to have to return to aluminum foil for food take out.
Well, what's the carbon footprint for aluminum? Gotta take that into consideration as well.

To be honest, I generally support a ban on single-use items (I'd especially like a return to reusable glass containers), but it needs to ensure that it doesn't lead into other instances of waste (i.e. plastic wrap can allow produce to last much longer), be able to address far worse polluters (90% of the world's oceanic plastic waste comes from Asia and Africa), and also ensure that the cyclical economy actually works, rather than all our recyclable waste ending up being useless.

We should have never allowed big soda to stop selling in refillable bottles in exchange for a one time payout to set up the fallacy of recycling.

That should be step one, if you sell single use beverages they should be refillable, essentially turning them into multi use. To make that work we need to move to standardized bottle types, as discussed here http://www.futuresdiamond.com/casi2...-of-the-glass-bottles-refilling-or-recycling/

And allowing big Swiss, American and other firms to drain and sell Ontario’s aquifer water in plastic bottles need to be outlawed, full stop.

Last edited:
We have become a culture that values convenience and disposability. Why reuse when you can just toss?
Perfect segway to this: (If even the crusty crocodile May can do it, why can't we?)(Don't bother answering, it'll be embarrassing no matter what it is)
From the FT:

Theresa May has written to business leaders to confirm that the British government will on Wednesday adopt one of the toughest climate change targets in the world, saying she believed in the “moral duty” to protect the environment.​

Back