News   Apr 26, 2024
 453     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 668     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

While arguments could have been articulated better perhaps, I don't think Filip's thesis that China not being the dominant world power for the past 150 years is an ahistorical aberration is incorrect. Citing the non-Han dynasties is fallacious because those dynasties within a generation became thoroughly Chinese and ruled as though they were a native dynasty.

The legacy of the Opium Wars and the Boxer Rebellion is over. The country has since regained its independence, rapidly industrialized, and are now probably looking around the globe and realizing that the colonial powers of old are today merely paper tigers.

Of course, this time around it is not just the central state but the burgeoning middle class that has emerged in the country. I look to places like Johor in Malaysia, just across the straight from Singapore, and see a foreign metropolis emerging based off of largely Chinese investor capital. It reminds me of the trading companies of colonial powers of old, except with property as the new spice. I could be wrong about that (I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert on Malaysian real estate market), but given historical precedent, and the breadth and depth of the resources and human capital available to the country, it is very difficult to not think we are in an era of changing geopolitical power.

As historians like to note, the Western Romans of 476AD did not think of themselves as living through a changing of eras.

Because I have about as much respect for his Googling skills as I do for your spelling.

Its this that causes you mass disrespect here at UT.

You're juvenile and hostile without cause.

You can't resist hyperbole.

You throw insults around like candy.

STOP!

Before your mouth opens, or your fingers hit the keyboard, assume the rest of us don't live our lives dreaming of ways to insult or offend you.

What we value is a discussion that is fair, respectful and evidence based.

You are, or at least seem to be capable of that.

But you have to stop engaging in over-reach, and personalizing it when you're called on it.

Express yourself respectfully and civilly.

Look things up to confirm them before stating them as facts; or at least conditionalize your statements appropriately.

Then maybe others would respect your googling, or education.

I for one have not insulted China or shown any bias in my opinions.

My bias is for facts, and informed discussion.

If you post things that are at best unsubstantiated or at worst outright untrue, I can and will call you on it.

That's not anti anything or anyone.

Its pro-truth, and pro-fact.

Now, can we please move on.

The problem is not that these people are going to commit acts of terrorism- 60 is a low number at the moment. The problem is how many others these people can recruit to their poisonous ideals after returning- note that in France, the majority of terrorist acts were in fact committed by radicalized yet naturalized second generations. The attacker in the recent Strasbourg attacks was able to disappear back into the community at ease, much like in other prior attacks in France- these attacks are only the florescence of radicalism as behind them are their backers, who form a larger network of recruitment and support.

On this front, the Liberals have continued to show some unwillingness to act, instead fobbing off the issue whereas other nations have firmly put their foot down in dealing with these extremists. I sometimes question if they have Canadians', especially the Muslim community's best interests at heart.

Sixty Canadians have returned after joining extremist groups: study
The report warns that terrorists are increasingly resorting to unsophisticated weapons to conduct attacks, such as knives and vehicles, while sensitive transportation infrastructure such as airports remain popular targets. Public Safety is also worried by the number of Canadians who financially support terrorist groups operating in the Middle East and South Asia, noting that the Internet continues to be an invaluable recruitment and indoctrination tool for extremist groups.
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/12/11/six...-after-joining-extremist-groups-threat-study/

As government prepares response to calls to bring ISIS members to justice, some walk free
On Facebook, the Pakistani-Canadian described himself in a recent post as a “Mujahid residing in Dar al Kufr” — a jihadist fighter in the land of disbelief.

But more than two years after flying back to Toronto and telling reporters he had served in the brutal ISIS police in Syria, he has not been arrested.

“No kafir can touch me,” he said in a recent text message to a former friend, who shared it with Global News. Kafir is an Arabic term for nonbeliever.
One of the captives, Muhammad Ali, told Global News in an exclusive interview he had been a member of an ISIS sniper unit. But neither he nor the others detained abroad face charges in Canada.
But jihadist fighter Ahmad Waseem was able to come home to Windsor, Ont., receive hospital treatment for a gunshot wound and then return to fight with ISIS until he was shot again, this time fatally.

The friend who signed his passport application and travelled with him to Syria, Mohammed El Shaer, was subjected to a terrorism peace bond upon returning to Windsor but was not charged with terrorism offences.
The lack of charges against some of those who have come back has meant they faced no legal consequences for having participated in terrorist groups responsible for horrendous atrocities.

It is also a potential security risk.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4745081/my-goals-government-strategy-isis-fighters/

And in another case, Omar Khadr is yet again trying to get his release conditions adjusted.

Omar Khadr seeks Canadian passport to travel, permission to speak to sister
'I feel like the indefinite ... detention that I suffered in Guantanamo Bay is continuing'
Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr wants to be granted a Canadian passport to travel to Saudi Arabia and permission to speak to his controversial sister.
An affidavit by Khadr filed with the court says the impact of his bail conditions are mainly psychological — a daily reminder of what he went through.

"I feel like the indefinite and potentially endless detention that I suffered in Guantanamo Bay is continuing," he wrote. "I hope that there will be some end to this process, but there is none in sight."
He says in his affidavit that he would like to be able to speak on the phone or over Skype to his sister, Zaynab Khadr. He is also asking to perform the Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, which is a mandatory religious duty for Muslims once in their lifetime.
Zaynab Khadr has spoken in favour of al-Qaeda and was investigated in Canada more than a decade ago for helping the terrorist network, but she was never charged.
Khadr said he is happily married and was accepted into a nursing program, but has been unable to devote himself to study due to his legal issues.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/omar-khadr-passport-travel-saudi-arabia-sister-1.4940009

Last edited:
And meanwhile we've lept right onto a minefield and are stuck right between China and the US as a proxy while they're waging a trade war.

Voluntary placement between a rock and a hard place, I suppose.

I, for one, am pretty worried about a wave of right wing populism sweeping through.

I'm seeing a lot of the same stuff online as I saw in the US in the run up to their 2016 election. And while parliamentary politics makes that kind of wave much harder to make substantial, it's still very possible.

Trudeau is pushing the limits on a lot of fronts. And I fear the backlash that could materialize.

I, for one, am pretty worried about a wave of right wing populism sweeping through.

I'm seeing a lot of the same stuff online as I saw in the US in the run up to their 2016 election. And while parliamentary politics makes that kind of wave much harder to make substantial, it's still very possible.

Trudeau is pushing the limits on a lot of fronts. And I fear the backlash that could materialize.
Are you trying to say that Trudeau is trying to push us to the far left on many fronts, and if the conservatives (CPC) try to push us back towards the centre, they will be labelled far right populist extrremists.?

Are you trying to say that Trudeau is trying to push us to the far left on many fronts, and if the conservatives (CPC) try to push us back towards the centre, they will be labelled far right populist extrremists.?

No. I am saying I'm worried about idiots who are using every grievance against this Prime Minister to push their racist nonsense forward. They are coming out of the woodwork and conservatives aren't rejecting them. It's amazing how we've gone from discussing border jumpers to flat out anti-immigrant sentiment on a lot of the right. And that view is becoming more mainstream everyday. Living in the US for the last 2.5 years, I have seen where this shit leads. And I don't want it at home when I move back in a month.

Are you going to tell me some of that Ontario Proud bullshit is not racist, for example?

And yes, these idiots are genuinely turning me off from voting CPC as an alternative to Trudeau. Especially when I hear conservative politicians sympathizing with them. I don't want any of that "good people on both sides" bullshit in Canada. Any politician who decides to court factions that resort to coded bigotry, especially the kind that could impact me or my family, will never have my vote. I was disillusioned enough with Trudeau that I went from donating LPC to CPC. That I am now reconsidering my support for them, should tell you how pissed I am to see and hear conservatives playing footsie with bigots.

No. I am saying I'm worried about idiots who are using every grievance against this Prime Minister to push their racist nonsense forward. They are coming out of the woodwork and conservatives aren't rejecting them. It's amazing how we've gone from discussing border jumpers to flat out anti-immigrant sentiment on a lot of the right. And that view is becoming more mainstream everyday. Living in the US for the last 2.5 years, I have seen where this shit leads. And I don't want it at home when I move back in a month.

Are you going to tell me some of that Ontario Proud bullshit is not racist, for example?

And yes, these idiots are genuinely turning me off from voting CPC as an alternative to Trudeau. Especially when I hear conservative politicians sympathizing with them. I don't want any of that "good people on both sides" bullshit in Canada. Any politician who decides to court factions that resort to coded bigotry, especially the kind that could impact me or my family, will never have my vote. I was disillusioned enough with Trudeau that I went from donating LPC to CPC. That I am now reconsidering my support for them, should tell you how pissed I am to see and hear conservatives playing footsie with bigots.

Exceedingly well said! Bravo!

I remember when the immigrant community that the CPC won over in 2011 voted strongly Liberal in 2015 because of dog whistle nonsense. They apparently didn't learn from their mistakes and are doubling down on that kind of rhetoric.

I remember when the immigrant community that the CPC won over in 2011 voted strongly Liberal in 2015 because of dog whistle nonsense. They apparently didn't learn from their mistakes and are doubling down on that kind of rhetoric.

It's nuts. They worked so hard to win them over. Then threw it away on one election.

The Conservatives need a new election strategy. Appealing to the wise and informed has a cap at about 40%.
They could try the Liberal strategy of lying during the campaign, but they might then loose some of their existing support.

Back