News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Plus 15s In Toronto

I liked Winnipeg for a host of reasons when I went there for the first time last summer and this was definitely one of them.

It was all so foreign to me, me being a Torontonian through and through. It just had this strange aesthetic appeal to me...perhaps because of its novelty.

Never used it. I'm a curb and alleyway kind of guy and I won't lie, it all seemed so terribly detached from the urban fabric at the time I was there.

the +15 in Calgary is practical for our climate, but it really does take alot of the life from the street.

Winnipeg isn't much of a Plus 15 system, though, and it seemed to me that it lost of a lot of its purpose after Eaton's was knocked down. It also has a mini-PATH centred around the Portage/Main intersection.

Halifax has a very small Plus 15 system as well.

Peterborough might be the smallest city with a PATH. Peterborough square runs under Water street and connects the Galaxy theater (formerly the Eaton's) with Market square on George street. I don't know why they didn't connect the MNR building to the underground complex when they built it in the 90s. Like a lot of Eaton's-anchored malls, it completely tanked after 1998. At least the rest of downtown Peterborough is firing on all cylinders. You could say that Peterborough square serves a very useful purpose today: it basically hides all the junk dollar stores and vacant storefronts from infecting the Victorian streetscape above.

Back