1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Plaza Royale (872 Sheppard W, Torbel, 8s) COMPLETE

gtaeagle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted to ask if anyone here knows about the progress of this development by Torbel located in North York (Downsview). Purchased a unit last summer. Thanks.

Plaza Royale sounds like a James Bond movie.

There doesn't seem to be anything "Royale" about this building.

excavation

Thanks. I read in the Star that it was starting this winter but didn't know when. Didn't get a chance to call them yet or visit them since I'm out of town.

I agree it could use a better name but don't really care about that.

Plaza Royale sounds like a James Bond movie.

The name makes me think of toilet paper, myself.

HygenexRoyalToiletPaper_B.gif

I've never heard of this condo, but I've passed by the site many times...UTers should take note of this stretch of Sheppard West because it is the first taste of Avenue-ization, and could be the model for dozens of km of new developments.

According to sales office ... the top (8th) floor of Plaza Royale is built and they are working on the interiors ... estimated occupancy is June 2009

And this is The Building: http://www.torbel.ca/

Royale_exterior.jpg
Royale_logo.jpg

Floorplate

Royale_floorplate.jpg

I think that projects like this one along Sheppard are giving something positive to this stretch; something which this street has not had since the bungalow first appeared... character. They may not be the prettiest, but they are slowly transforming this section of Sheppard into a more urban thoroughfare, something that is desperately required for the vast majority of Toronto's arteries.

I must agree with you CoC ~ indeed these buildings are not inspiring in anyway ... but these condos will provide good intensification along 'AVENUES' as envisioned in the City of Toronto Official Plan ~ :)

Other building (previous phases) built by Torbel in the immeidate area:

Plaza Suites - 890 Sheppard Avenue West
890_PlazaSuites.jpg

Hampton Plaza - 922 Sheppard Avenue West
922_HamptonPlaza.jpg

Town Plaza - 935 Sheppard Avenue West
935_TownPlaza.jpg

Park Plaza - 1030 Sheppard Avenue West
1030_ParkPlaza.jpg

A whole bunch of these mid-rise buildings have popped up along Sheppard starting at Allen Road going east. They aren't anything special architecturally speaking, but they are built to the street, bringing a nice sense of urbanity that was sorely lacking before. It would be great to see all the main streets outside the core develop like this. To hell with all the hideous 1 and 2 storey strip malls and plazas with parking fronting onto main streets.

They're like today's version of red or yellow brick nothing walkups from the 1950s. (Which, by "lasting", have often become "something", particularly when they've maintained original sash, terazzo, period porticos, stainless steel lettering, immunity from the temptation to EIFS it all up, etc.)

If Mayor Miller's Christmas wishes come true, this building will be copied and pasted a thousand times over along Eglinton and Finch and Jane and Don Mills and Sheppard and Morningside. The effects of fleshing out a street with buildings like this - the cumulative good intentions - are definitely more important than what Plaza Royale itself, or any of the other ones, looks like, though it would be nice if 'standard issue' in Avenues-era Toronto was a bit more attractive. Perhaps, eventually, the driveway tunnel through the middle of the buildings will be addressed via laneways or some other coordinated rear/side entrances...it's just difficult to do anything else when redevelopment is limited to properties with Sheppard addresses. It'd also be nice if precast panels didn't invariably overwhelm their first floors.

is this really the city's idea of avenues. I mean the buildings are OK, but if they're just gonna copy the design along the entire "avenue", I'm gonna cry.

Here she is in all her glory!

Actually like this one the best along this stretch. Not as grey and green and it has some nicer vertical finishes...

DSCF2481.jpg
DSCF2559.jpg
DSCF2557.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2481.jpg
    DSCF2481.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 714
  • DSCF2559.jpg
    DSCF2559.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 707
  • DSCF2557.jpg
    DSCF2557.jpg