News   Jul 31, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 283     1 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

Cornells original zoning had retail lining the entirety of Bur Oak avenue, but that has since been dropped to high density towns except for immediately south of 16th. If Cornell centre down by highway 7 turns out fine, it might not be too bad. Right now the subdivision is functionally very similar to any old subdivision. Mount Pleasant is the only new urbanist community that has really worked so far. The new 6 floor wood building will likely help with this now too, as all the little 4 floor apartment buildings going up in these developments can switch to 6 floor apartment buildings that will significantly add density to the main areas.

A minor correction: I don't think the zoning on the Bur Oak towns changed but rather the ones further south were zoned as live/work units. The unfortunate side effect of the early retail failing is that most of the live/work units have become just 'live' units, so you get ground floor apartments where you'd like to have a mix of retail; it's basically killed the street, despite the best intentions.

I don't know if you can call it a real New Urbanist development but the former Greenwood Racetrack site is effectively that style of residential. The reason it's worked is because it had an urban retail main street (Queen East) already there. Trying to build one from scratch as the housing is going in is where these otherwise nice projects are falling apart.

As you say, Cornell Centre may be the neighbourhood's salvation but given how remote Cornell will always be, hemmed in by Rouge Park, I'm skeptical. That said, I still think it's somewhat laudatory and fair to say that it's a lot better (i.e. denser and more internally walkable) than had they put some old-style subdivision there. It's kind of a half-success and Cathedraltown looks poised to be the same....maybe a bit less, actually.

There's an interesting counter-argument to planned urban sprawl in the Globe and Mail today. Certainly warrants a read and opens the table for more discussion.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...t-about-unaffordable-housing/article22607554/

What’s so smart about unaffordable housing?
KONRAD YAKABUSKI
The Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Jan. 26 2015, 3:00 AM EST
Last updated Monday, Jan. 26 2015, 3:00 AM EST

Of all the lofty attributes Canada’s world-class cities have touted in recent years, making a home unaffordable for average folks is perhaps the least enviable. It was also avoidable. But self-proclaimed “smart growth†policies have proven the opposite of smart, contributing to an affordability crisis with little to show in the way of a cleaner environment.

The biggest losers are millennials now entering their 30s, a generation urban planners and creative-class types predicted would always prefer downtown living over the suburbs. For these echo boomers, moving up to a single- or semi-detached home to raise a family is no longer even an option. Bringing up junior in a 600-square-foot condo is not as cool as it might sound. Yet that’s the choice many face.

Vancouver is considered the world’s second-most unaffordable housing market, after Hong Kong. A median-priced Vancouver home costs 10.6 times the city’s median household income, according to the latest Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey. Vancouver’s price-to-income ratio has doubled in the past decade.

At 6.5 times income, Toronto’s house price-to-income ratio has risen 65 per cent over the same period. Demographia defines a multiple above 5.1 as “severely unaffordable.†Toronto is now even more unaffordable than New York.

Even those who think they can afford homes now may be fooling themselves. Record-low interest rates have slashed the carrying cost of a mortgage, but in doing so have masked what remains an unsustainably high price-to-income ratio.

Interest rates are virtually the same everywhere, but not every city has unaffordable housing. The economy is healthier in some cities than others. But Houston and Dallas are booming (or were, until oil prices collapsed) and they have among the most affordable houses in the world. They had no prerecession housing bubble, so no housing crash either.

What separates the most affordable cites, according to Demographia, is the absence of policies against urban sprawl, such as Ontario’s 10-year-old Greenbelt Plan and B.C.’s Agricultural Land Reserve. Other anti-sprawl laws, such as Ontario’s 2005 Place to Grow Act, have promoted densification and limited development to existing transportation corridors.

Demographia, a think tank critical of densification policies, says that “no major metropolitan market without urban containment policy has ever been rated with severely unaffordable housing.†It adds that “strong restrictions on land supply drive up the cost of housing, which reduces the standard of living.â€

Smart growth advocates bristle at that suggestion. The Pembina Institute insists that 81 per cent of the land available for development around Toronto will still be unused by 2031. But that’s in part because anti-sprawl laws have sent land prices soaring. As a new TD Economics study notes, “landowners continue to hold on to significant idle land, likely with the aim of earning a higher profit on sale due to appreciating values.â€

The biggest myth about anti-sprawl policies is that they’re good for the environment – that they preserve scarce land for farming while encouraging a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. But there is no scarcity of agricultural land in Southern Ontario, while squeezing development into narrow corridors has led to traffic congestion (Vancouver’s roads are tied with those of Los Angeles as the most clogged in North America) and higher carbon emissions from longer commutes.

Any carbon reduction that does occur comes at an exorbitant cost. Demographia consultant Wendell Cox pegs the cost of reducing a single tonne of emissions at nearly $20,000 (U.S.), when accounting for the impact of densification policies on housing prices. Clearly, there are more cost-effective ways to cut emissions.

And what about the millennials? The condo booms in Vancouver and Toronto reflect not only the echo generation’s current preference for downtown living, but the fact that a tiny box in the sky is often their only financial option. But as they age, millennials are just as likely as their elders to crave space.

“The millennial ‘flight’ from suburbia has not only been vastly overexaggerated, it fails to deal with what may best be seen as differences in preferences correlated with life stages,†insists noted U.S. demographer Joel Kotkin, adding that “people with children tend to avoid urban cores, even in the most gentrified environments.â€

In Toronto and Vancouver, anyway, millennials are stuck. Smart growth policies have priced most of them out of a home in which to raise a family. Just what’s so smart about that?

Urban sprawl may lead to cheaper housing, but leads to much higher costs in building and maintaining infrastructure to reach that urban sprawl. Something that the taxpayers have to pay for.

Or you can be like Mississauga and keep taxes low and allow urban sprawl, and now be royally screwed.

Urban sprawl may lead to cheaper housing, but leads to much higher costs in building and maintaining infrastructure to reach that urban sprawl. Something that the taxpayers have to pay for.

Or you can be like Mississauga and keep taxes low and allow urban sprawl, and now be royally screwed.

Where's the actual empirical evidence for this? Urbanists have been saying this for decades, yet sprawl-y cities have consistently tended to be cheaper to run than denser ones.

If there really was such a substantial cost advantage to denser cities, we wouldn't be having this conversation since suburbanization/urban sprawl never would have happened to the extent it has in the first place.

Moreover, the 'sprawl' costs aren't even a big part of most cities' budgets, which in turn aren't even a big part of the overall tax space in North America. Most cities' budgets are geared towards things like education and policing. So even if things like garbage collection are slightly more expensive in suburbs, who cares?

Last edited:
I think it's reasonable to say that the Greenbelt has had negative impacts on housing affordability. That seems intuitive.

I'm not sure I'd blame it all on the Greenbelt though. It's just as true that we've been unwilling to allow any substantial densification in the rest of the urban region Studies from the US have shown that, even without growth boundaries, housing affordability has been hurt by the huge regulatory burden most cities place on redevelopment.

Now that Cities are starting to recognize that there are serious affordability issues, they're turning towards snake oil like inclusionary zoning, which is only going to put even more costs on new development.

A big part of the problem in developments like Cornell is the insistence on putting the "main street" on what would otherwise be a relatively minor collector road. They try to push the retail onto cute minor streets while the community as a whole turns its back on the arterials, which basically become expressways with huge setbacks and distant intersections. So of course the businesses are failing - businesses want to be where the people already are. Almost all of the main streets in the older parts of Toronto are on the main arteries. Even a cutesy, out of the way main street like Unionville's developed along what was the major road until they built a by-pass. And pedestrian oriented main streets don't have to be on narrow streets. Some of the best main streets on both sides of the Atlantic have 6 or more lanes. These out of the way new urbanist main streets will be stuck in low volume, half empty live-work purgatory for the forseeable future.

In Cathedraltown, the main street is basically invisible to anyone driving through. I've driven up the Woodbine by-pass countless times and I had no idea a main street had already been built. Looking at it on Street View reveals another problem. The buildings along the main street are done in a faux heritage, residential style that minimizes the prominence of the retail - residential style doors, small display windows with unnecessary dividers, bland beige signage, etc. Real historic main streets have prominent signage, large display windows, vibrant colours, and doorways that invite you to enter. Anyway I'll have to stop by to take a closer look someday but I'm not expecting much.

It's great that they're trying to create people places instead of the usual sprawl, but they're getting it all wrong. It's like nobody in charge has ever actually visited the places they're trying to recreate, let alone understood what makes them work.

I don't know if you can call it a real New Urbanist development but the former Greenwood Racetrack site is effectively that style of residential. The reason it's worked is because it had an urban retail main street (Queen East) already there. Trying to build one from scratch as the housing is going in is where these otherwise nice projects are falling apart.

I'm not even certain you can call the Greenwood redevelopment 'successful' from the point of view of retail (it's pretty awesome from a park and housing point of view). The setbacks, so that you can't really see what shops are there, and the big square footage, means that it's almost all banking/investment houses. I expect there is a restriction against restaurants/bars as well, meaning the north side of Queen gets all the fun and the south side looks forlorn -- even though those are the new storefronts.

I'm not even certain you can call the Greenwood redevelopment 'successful' from the point of view of retail (it's pretty awesome from a park and housing point of view). The setbacks, so that you can't really see what shops are there, and the big square footage, means that it's almost all banking/investment houses. I expect there is a restriction against restaurants/bars as well, meaning the north side of Queen gets all the fun and the south side looks forlorn -- even though those are the new storefronts.

That's fair. I guess I mostly meant that unlike a Cornell, it has the advantage of an established, pedestrian-oriented directly adjacent and that's made a big difference. It's also true that the strip is definitely a bit more happening east of Woodbine.

I don't think, as MisterF says, the problem is so much the location of the retail in Cornell, except in a bit of a different way. The problems are firstly that it is off the main street and on the collector which means no one, except people IN Cornell, will go there. And when they first put in the initial wave of retail, there wasn't enough of a population to sustain it (especially with no one randomly driving down Cornell Park Blvd looking for a bite). Now there are people there but a lot of pro services (nail salons, yoga studios, travel agents etc.) have taken over those "retail" spots and they're unlikely to leave. It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing and that's why I was pointing out that Queen East provided a safety net for the Greenwood development. I think in a suburban greenfield project, you're always going to have that problem of introducing the various mixed-use components in the right sequence.

I don't think walkable, dense housing is inherently less affordable. Condos tend to be cheaper than neighbouring houses after all. But developments like Cornell and Cathedraltown present themselves as a premium product, something special and different from the norm. That alone makes them more expensive. But maybe there's more to it than that. Walkable neighbourhoods are pretty scarce, maybe one in six in the GTA lives in one. And they're in demand, so people might just be willing to pay more to be in one. High demand + low supply = high prices. If more suburbs were built like traditional walkable neighbourhoods (Cornell and Cathedraltown aren't), maybe that would help bring prices down.

I don't think, as MisterF says, the problem is so much the location of the retail in Cornell, except in a bit of a different way. The problems are firstly that it is off the main street and on the collector which means no one, except people IN Cornell, will go there. And when they first put in the initial wave of retail, there wasn't enough of a population to sustain it (especially with no one randomly driving down Cornell Park Blvd looking for a bite). Now there are people there but a lot of pro services (nail salons, yoga studios, travel agents etc.) have taken over those "retail" spots and they're unlikely to leave. It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing and that's why I was pointing out that Queen East provided a safety net for the Greenwood development. I think in a suburban greenfield project, you're always going to have that problem of introducing the various mixed-use components in the right sequence.
Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. The main streets of most of these places are so out of the way that nobody just happens to be there. The odds of them becoming regional draws like Queen West or a power centre are pretty slim. The main streets should be the arterials, with short blocks and no setbacks. That's not going to happen on regional roads in the suburbs though, and that's why these communities are half-successful at best.

A big part of the problem in developments like Cornell is the insistence on putting the "main street" on what would otherwise be a relatively minor collector road. They try to push the retail onto cute minor streets while the community as a whole turns its back on the arterials, which basically become expressways with huge setbacks and distant intersections. So of course the businesses are failing - businesses want to be where the people already are. Almost all of the main streets in the older parts of Toronto are on the main arteries. Even a cutesy, out of the way main street like Unionville's developed along what was the major road until they built a by-pass. And pedestrian oriented main streets don't have to be on narrow streets. Some of the best main streets on both sides of the Atlantic have 6 or more lanes. These out of the way new urbanist main streets will be stuck in low volume, half empty live-work purgatory for the forseeable future.

That's all true but developers likely find themselves in something of a Catch-22. It's not exactly possible to analogize between pre-WW2 "main streets" and contemporary suburban arterials. Block length, setbacks, lanes, traffic speed and such are all way less hospitable with the latter.

Even in Europe, the kind of grand boulevards you're referring to are fairly rare and universally the product of authoritarian urban vanity regimes. Not necessarily comparable to North American suburbs. I doubt Paris could sustain a GTA-like network of arterial roads.

Maybe the problem is trying to shoehorn urban development into pre-WW2 notions of urbanity? Presumably pedestrian friendly, mixed use environments can be created without reference to the traditional linear, streetcar suburb model.

found an interesting preliminary plan for Queensvilles new town centre:

a763d332-4215-402b-f630-ce92bfacd9b7.jpg

64231a0b-2c81-44e7-e101-764de6d7173a.jpg

The town plan:

community-map.jpg

and the first phase:

siteplan.jpg

The biggest problem with Queensville, and Cornell too for that matter, is they are still almost entirely automobile dependent. In an automobile-oriented community retailers want to locate at the major intersections, which in the case of Queensville is at the 404 and Doane Road, with possible secondary centres at Doane and Leslie, and 404 and Queensville Road, not in the centre of the community as per the plan above. I predict there will be a lot of pressure by commercial developers on the municipality to allow additional commercial areas, which will compete directly with the plan above. As we learned in Cornell, you can't force commercial development to locate where you want it - each retailer or company is going to locate where it makes the most financial sense for them, and for most that is not in the middle of a block.

I think "Queensville" should have been a new community centered at Green Lane and Concession Road 2 (Bayview) where the East Gwillimbury GO station is located. It would allow for a strong pedestrian-oriented higher density core area which is more likely to be commercially viable than the above plan. Mt.Pleasant in Brampton is a good example of a similar transit-oriented community to watch. Of course that doesn't mean everyone in a transit-oriented community will take the GO train to Toronto, but at least they have the option. People moving to Queensville will HAVE to drive, which means they have to drive by one of the major intersections, but not the core area.

The biggest problem with Queensville, and Cornell too for that matter, is they are still almost entirely automobile dependent. In an automobile-oriented community retailers want to locate at the major intersections, which in the case of Queensville is at the 404 and Doane Road, with possible secondary centres at Doane and Leslie, and 404 and Queensville Road, not in the centre of the community as per the plan above. I predict there will be a lot of pressure by commercial developers on the municipality to allow additional commercial areas, which will compete directly with the plan above. As we learned in Cornell, you can't force commercial development to locate where you want it - each retailer or company is going to locate where it makes the most financial sense for them, and for most that is not in the middle of a block.

I think "Queensville" should have been a new community centered at Green Lane and Concession Road 2 (Bayview) where the East Gwillimbury GO station is located. It would allow for a strong pedestrian-oriented higher density core area which is more likely to be commercially viable than the above plan. Mt.Pleasant in Brampton is a good example of a similar transit-oriented community to watch. Of course that doesn't mean everyone in a transit-oriented community will take the GO train to Toronto, but at least they have the option. People moving to Queensville will HAVE to drive, which means they have to drive by one of the major intersections, but not the core area.

I mostly agree with you, especially about the planned town centre for Queensville. I'm pretty skeptical, as well, but I do sincerely hope it goes well.

There is intensification (residential, retail, office) planned for along Green Lane and especially at the GO Station by 2nd Concession. But only directly adjacent to the road. The farmlands set-back from the road are considered protected greenbelt, and I'm pretty sure no single-family dwellings are to be permitted along the corridor at all.

Queensville isn't located at 2nd Concession & Green Lane, so that is probably why their town centre isn't planned for that area.

Yeah, my take on something like Q-ville is that it's much better than traditional sprawling development but as long as it's geographically located THERE, the car is still going to rule. It's a nice-looking plan but you can't just plop one of these places in, like an island. "More walkable" is great, but not if you can only walk 5 blocks and there is no where to walk to. That's really what I meant about the Greenwood place; it wasn't dropped onto a greenfield and that's why it had advantages over these places that, even 50 years from now, will be on the (sub or ex)urban periphery.
Still, baby steps....

Back