News   Jul 15, 2024
 371     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

Glad to know that I'm not the only one shaking my head at that mess of a disaster.

I really don't see how the natural features of the area are a hindrance to building something that doesn't look like it was master planned in 1950 (but with higher density single homes, I recognise).

Wasn't the whole plan contingent on higher order transit being planned for as well?

As it stands, it looks like a bone thrown to developers and their Pickering municipal council cronies for having build out mostly stalled for the last 20 years. *groan*

It can be done. See this article from The Star, at this link, on
Car-less in the 905: One family’s quest for automotive freedom

A Brampton family dares to exercise its options and trade two cars for more time together.

bus.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Kevin Montgomery and his children, Sebastian, 8, left, and Adela, 10, get on the bus as they run an errand to the music store. The Montgomerys gave up their cars a few years ago and use public transit and their bicycles to get around.

Yeah, I know it can be done.
I did the whole car-free thing in Pickering....and, man, was that ever hilarious. (2.5 hour trips to the supermarket because I decided to walk instead of living my life around a bus schedule that saw a bus every 30-60 minutes). That was me living in West Shore....I'm sure if I had lived along the Kingston corridor in central Pickering life would have been easier...especially after the pedestrian bridge was built over the 401 (you know, so I could gtfo of there even more easily).

Last edited:
The stuff on Brock isn't in the seaton development technically despite the marketing. Season proper is just beginning site clearing now.

The key to seaton will be the retail, which it seems to be doing well if the preliminary development boards outside the retail sites along Brock are any indication.

Brock road is still in its rural 2 lane form as well, the area will start to look better once the road is rebuilt and widened this summer.

I will hold out hope, but not hold my breath.

Do you know of a source where I can get a good overview of what is actually going to be built or what is in the process of starting to be built, as opposed to what was originally envisioned?

I have also been unable to find any evidence of planned transit expansion. Only dreams of the rail line being used for future Metrolinx transit. Nothing at all from Durham Transit (unsurprisingly). Any word on concrete plans for transit expansion? The distance to the train station is rather daunting.

I will hold out hope, but not hold my breath.

Do you know of a source where I can get a good overview of what is actually going to be built or what is in the process of starting to be built, as opposed to what was originally envisioned?

This article gives a fair amount of detail about current happenings: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/11/pickerings_huge_seaton_development_clears_final_hurdle.html

Basically they're just building the basic infrastructure right now (utilities, roads, water, sewage). Actual development of Seaton is supposed to begin in two years.

Port Credit and maybe Square One come to mind as the only two 905 areas where you could survive without a car.

I know people who have done it in Markham Village. Only one VIVA stop to groceries and a drug store (or a short to longish walk depending which street you're on), two stops to a mall (Markville), GO to downtown, the less frequent Markham Road bus to other shopping, plus everything on Main Street itself. It's more of a hassle than owning a car, but it's not exactly a great hardship either.

Stephen Harper as economist: I have a libelous theory that posits that he plagiarised and/or got others to do his work while at school. I have yet to be proven wrong.
You have not been proven wrong because no one can be bothered to do so, why waste time on your opinions? You are certainly entitled to your opinion but a lack of spirited opposition doesn't make you right.

You have not been proven wrong because no one can be bothered to do so, why waste time on your opinions? You are certainly entitled to your opinion but a lack of spirited opposition doesn't make you right.

Who the hell are you talking to?

Port Credit and maybe Square One come to mind as the only two 905 areas where you could survive without a car.

Old Oakville/Kerr, central Oshawa, central Pickering, lots of Hamilton....just the ones I can quickly think of.

Port Credit, though, is the only one I have ever seriously considered outside of Toronto (and besides my unfortunate and unplanned stints in Pickering).

I didn't claim to be right. It's a theory I have. I haven't been proven wrong though because the man in question regularly proposes to act and does indeed act in ways that are contrary to much-respected and prevailing economic wisdom. You know, as if he had no clue.
Anyway, this is way off topic...though, I guess we could tie in the support that said "economist" has in southern Ontario's planned sprawl lands and the relationship between said support and the nature of individualism perpetuated by the very nature of isolated sprawl. Still would be off topic though.

Last edited:

Back